CF-104D Starfighter 1/48 Hasegawa

Martian

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Tony, the Daco stuff arrived this morning and the length of the practice bomb dispenser kind of indicates either I have got the pylon I made too far forward or that it is too short. Off to have a play around withit now.

Martian

Lockheed got it wrong on the actual  Starfighter, your model is the correct version. :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Lockheed got it wrong on the actual  Starfighter, your model is the correct version. :D

Indeed! The trouble is that I don't think the likes of IPMS judges would see it that way. We can be an evil bunch  when the mood takes us. I think the appropriate phrase here is "Hoist with his own petard"! :doh:Still I think I have sorted what's what now so I shall go off and clean things up a bit and get some pictures up tomorrow.

Martian

• Like 3

Remembering that I am on Maritime Volunteer Service duty in Portsmouth Dockyard tomorrow, I thought it best that I do my update for you all now.

I am pretty happy that the practice bomb dispenser is in the correct place. If it is not to foul the nose gear, it pretty much has to be. It also lines the store nicely with the tip of the intake cones. Assuming that the store is mounted evenly on it's pylon, then the pylon must be in the right place. My only doubt now is whether the pylon is long enough. However should a good picture of the pylon itself not materialise, I am not going to get too worked up about it as it is not the most visible part of the model. I drilled holes through the pylon, into the fuselage and into the dispenser and passed some Albion Alloys Brass tubing through the holes in the pylon to make sure everything lined up. I had previously sawn off the more pointed nose of the Daco bomb dispenser and replaced it with the blunter Canadian style nose also supplied on Daco's upgrade sprues. I still have to tidy up the seams on the dispenser

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks Jessica, that is a great relief. That pylon was beginning to get on my wick. Now I can detail it and move on.

Martian

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That region looks very smart now Martin; that second photo in particular already gives a great sense of physicality to the model. :thumbsup2:

Tony

Thanks Tony. It should look quite good with the white of the dispenser and blue of the practice bombs contrasting against the NMF of the fuselage.

2 hours ago, perdu said:

With so much going on down there it's amazing they can carry anything underneath

Looks good to my radar too Martian

Thanks Bill.

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Yep, looks good to me too, very neat work Martian!

keith

Thank you Keith.

Martian

• Like 1

Just a quickie to let you know that I have not been idle over the last day or so. I have spent time cleaning up the intake joints, some re-scribing will be necessary here, and the Bomb dispenser. I have begun marking out the main wheel bays and starting to add fittings for the gubbins that go therein. I am going to have all four of the main wheel bays open, as for servicing, so I can have ore detail on show. Albion alloys tubing makes for some very effective plumbing in areas such as this.

I have not got as much done as I would have liked as with Telford but two short weeks away, I have a build or two that I need to pull my finger out on.

More soon.

Martian

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

A Zeppelin! :o

Only a small one.

3 hours ago, S5 modeller said:

Nice work martian. The pylon looks good to me.

Hopefully catch this a Telford, if you're taking it.

Matt

Thanks Matt. Sadly she will be staying at home as there is zero possibility of her being finished in time. God willing, she will be at next year's show as I fancy having a punt on the IPMS Canada trophy.

Martian

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Only a small one.

Thanks Matt. Sadly she will be staying at home as there is zero possibility of her being finished in time. God willing, she will be at next year's show as I fancy having a punt on the IPMS Canada trophy.

Martian

Oh well, still might see you there.

Matt

• Like 1

Well Guys, Telford is behind us for another year and for me the chance to do some more to this and some other projects I would rather be doing than panicking to get stuff ready for the show. Having said that though, it was great to meet some of you over the weekend, although Mike seemed to be hiding from me? You can come out now Mike the show is over and I am back on the planet Wibble! I also met Patrick Martin and got his book on the CF-104. Looking through the pictures in it, I can see at once that it is going to be of great assistance to this project and recommend it unreservedly to anyone wanting to build a Canadian Starfighter.

Back on the model, I have made a start on adding some of the finer detail on the engine casing. This has mostly involved punching out tiny discs of plastic card, gluing them to the engine and when set, drilling tiny holes in them. All extremely tedious but very essential to the appearance of the finished engine. I also made up the brackets for the cylinders that open and close the forward undercarriage doors.

In other news, I noticed that Eduard's etched set for the F-104C has the restraining harness for the C-2 ejector seat on it and a couple of these have been procured to see if they can be made to fit my scratch built seats.

Here are the pictures and thanks for looking.

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

Glad to see everyone getting back to normal post Telford. I used to go every year until I became a colonial and it is too far for me go. Now I just wait poised by the Internet for all the news and gossip to filter through.  I do miss it, the Shearwater Hobby Show, albeit good, just isn't the same! 

Nice work on the engine, it is very pleasing on the eye! The other week I did manage to break into our museum and get a couple of pics. 

20161029_152454_zps5cstl2jx.jpg

There isnt much room in there to take sweeping panoramas but you can get up close and very personal. I was amazed how little there is to it. Take the engine away and 'poof' there is nothing left! They even had a seperated ejection seat!

20161029_152321_zpsj7stxtkm.jpg

Although I would question the particular tartan they have used!:D I will try and get the phots out for a walk around soon.

Keep up the good work

Bob

• Like 4