CF-104D Starfighter 1/48 Hasegawa

Martian

Having just finished my Flapjack build, I am now able to make a start on a project that I have been itching to get on with. I have not build a Starfighter kit for 43 years and have felt recently that it was time that I put this right as I love the looks of the aircraft. I chose the two seat variant as I find this even more pleasing to look at.

I have long wanted to use the Hasegawa kit as a basis for this build but have always been put off by the exorbitant prices of Hasegawa kits here in the UK but when I saw a trader in Japan offering the kit for £16.99 plus £6.50 postage and packing it was a bit of a no brainer.

The model will be built as a Canadian CF-104D from Cold Lake and will be finished in natural metal with white upper wings and red tail plane and tip tanks. Thus far I have obtained a couple of Eduard sets for the cockpits and a set of Cannuck decals which although advertised as being for single seaters, contain sufficient serial numbers for at least two of the trainers based there.

I may or may not open a few things up, I will decide on this when I get my pension and can afford the Daco book "Starfighter Uncovered". My primary reference from the Canadian standpoint will be David Bushow's book on the CF-104 in Canadian service.

Here are a couple of pictures of the raw material so far.

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy the build.

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 15

Nice! I shall be following this build as I happen to have this in on my bench looking for inspiration!

100_4439_zpsqixodj1n.jpg

100_4438_zpsdmq9wufp.jpg

I found one second hand in my LHS for $30 and it came with an Eduard set as well......Billy Bargain! Equivalent of 15 quid when I bought it. I think I would have to get new decals though as the kit ones look a tad ropey! As it was a great deal I got these from the big H

100_4440_zpssnzolvb9.jpg

100_4442_zpswdccfed0.jpg

It did end up more than doubling the cost of the kit but hey ho I saved money in the first place!

I also have this just a few hundred yards away from work

http://atlanticcanadaaviationmuseum.com/museum-collections/

Although it closes soon for the winter I really do need to get over there and get some detail pics, so best ye cracketh on so I can see how it should be done :winkgrin: !

Bob

• Like 7

Thanks Bob, no pressure to do a good job then! As to the CF-104 at the museum, methinks its out camera time; if you get my none too subtle hint

Martin

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 9:41 PM, The Spadgent said:

Talk about straight back at it. I'm in. :popcorn:

Jont

Good to have you on board!

Martin

• Like 1

Just a quick question as I continue to get in the last few bits and pieces for this build. Am I correct that the Canadian two seaters were fitted with the Lockheed C-2 ejection seat? The pictures I have would seem to suggest this but I want to be sure before I go and either super detail the kit sets or scratch build replacements. This may seem a bit basic to some but I don't actually know that much about the Starfighter and have managed to get myself a bit confused even before I have cut any plastic. Still better now than after I have put in a whole shed load of work on the thing.

Martin

Yes this is correct.

The only CF-104D with the Q7 seat, is the civilian registered LN-STF in Norway, which may fly for the first time in many years shortly. It was retrofitted with the Q7 just recently.

Cheers

H.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Winnie said:

Yes this is correct.

The only CF-104D with the Q7 seat, is the civilian registered LN-STF in Norway, which may fly for the first time in many years shortly. It was retrofitted with the Q7 just recently.

Cheers

H.

Not quite correct. The Danish CF-104s and CF-104Ds were retrofitted with the MB seats too. All Canadian CF-104s had the Lockheed C-2 seats though.

Jens

• Like 1

Nice to see another one. :) They are too tempting at that price for sure!

Regards the seats - the F-104J Hase boxing has a C-2 seat I think... also the Eduard boxing has two types of seat included in both resin and plastic. Point being theres a fair chance some people out there have some spares lying about that might be of use to you.

Good luck with it, its a lovely build and the etch bits you have work a treat too, especially at the price they are for the TF too. All in all a no brainer indeed!

• Like 1

Hi Martin,

Great subject as I have a Hasegawa 1/32 F-104 so if you don't mind I will pull up a seat ?  love the Canadian colours.

Guy

6 hours ago, Winnie said:

Yes this is correct.

Cheers

H.

Thanks Winnie that helps a lot

5 hours ago, Jens said:

Not quite correct. The Danish CF-104s and CF-104Ds were retrofitted with the MB seats too. All Canadian CF-104s had the Lockheed C-2 seats though.

Jens

Cheers Jens, I know where I am going now.

3 hours ago, F4u said:

Hi Martin,

Great subject as I have a Hasegawa 1/32 F-104 so if you don't mind I will pull up a seat ?  love the Canadian colours.

Guy

The more the merrier!

3 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Nice to see another one. :) They are too tempting at that price for sure!

Regards the seats - the F-104J Hase boxing has a C-2 seat I think... also the Eduard boxing has two types of seat included in both resin and plastic. Point being theres a fair chance some people out there have some spares lying about that might be of use to you.

Good luck with it, its a lovely build and the etch bits you have work a treat too, especially at the price they are for the TF too. All in all a no brainer indeed!

Thanks. Should anyone have a spare c-2 seat from the kit, that would be great. Otherwise I will probably scratch build a couple rather than go down the resin route.

Martin

Well, I have ordered up an Eduard Brassin exhaust set, a set of intake blanks and a couple of Lockheed C-2 seats so all we have to do now is wait for Royal Fail to do it's worst and we can start cutting plastic. Can't wait! :frantic:

Martin

PS: I did think about getting a resin engine set but having looked at it I think I can do a more convincing job scratch building one myself. The same goes for improving the main undercarriage bays.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gary West said:

Im a massive CF 104 fan so Ill be watching too

whats your opinion on that Starfighter book, worth buying? Lots of colour pics and profiles?

Thanks Gary. As it happens the book dropped through the letterbox a few hours ago (I assume you mean the Daco book?). Although I was a bit wary of the price at first, a flick through the pages quickly shows that it is a must for anyone doing anything other than a straight OOB build and even then it would be extremely helpful. It has even got me thinking about a 1/32 scale build down the line.

Martin

• Like 2

4 hours ago, martin hale said:

Thanks Gary. As it happens the book dropped through the letterbox a few hours ago (I assume you mean the Daco book?).

Ah I wasnt aware it was a Daco book - so Daco have 2 CF 104 books then, the other being quite new by Patrick Martin.......

http://www.bookworldws.co.uk/canadian-starfighters-p-6806.html

• Like 1

6 hours ago, F4u said:

1/32 scale ! Go on You know you want to   :lol: 

Guy

Lets just see how I manage with this first. Knowing next to nothing bout Starfighters + NM finish = plenty of opportunity to screw things up.

2 hours ago, Gary West said:

Ah I wasnt aware it was a Daco book - so Daco have 2 CF 104 books then, the other being quite new by Patrick Martin.......

http://www.bookworldws.co.uk/canadian-starfighters-p-6806.html

Bugger! I was not aware of this book which I will clearly need to get at some point soon. The Daco book is orientated towards the f-104G and TF-104G but is probably the best bet for loads of close up details and open panels.

Martin

• Like 1

Hello Martin,

Always enjoy following your builds (and [why I am behind on my modelling] many others on here).  Pleased to see this one come up because of its close association with my current obsession, the U-2.  I, coincidentally, have the Monogram version (not up to Hasegawa standards, I gather)  of the '104 on the way and hope to get around to building it sometime next year.  Meanwhile, I'll be routinely on your build for any tips and tricks that I can nick and file away for future use.  

Cheers,

DMC

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DMC said:

Hello Martin,

Always enjoy following your builds (and [why I am behind on my modelling] many others on here).  Pleased to see this one come up because of its close association with my current obsession, the U-2.  I, coincidentally, have the Monogram version (not up to Hasegawa standards, I gather)  of the '104 on the way and hope to get around to building it sometime next year.  Meanwhile, I'll be routinely on your build for any tips and tricks that I can nick and file away for future use.  

Cheers,

DMC

Thanks, feel free to use any techniques you like. Where are those bits I ordered? I want to start and I want to start now! If they don't arrive soon, ie tomorrow, I shall scream and scream and scream until I am sick!  :frantic::puke:

9 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Martin

This looks interesting, they are quite fascinating aircraft and almost look like a piloted missile with those tiny wings.  Crikey the price was good for a Hasegawa Kit too !

All the best

Chris

Normally I won't give Hasegawa the time of day due to their prices but I have wanted a Starfighter for some time and at the price offered, well, even I'm not that daft as to turn this one down!

Martin

• Like 1