Lister factory visit

roymattblack

I have just returned from the Lister factory near Cambridge.

I was very kindly invited to go and take as many photo's and measurements of the cars as I wanted for my 1/8 scratch build:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235004523-lister-knobbly-jaguar-18-scratch/

Andrew Whittaker and Mark Hallam (the CEO and MD) were gracious, hospitable and literally gave me a free run of the whole place for almost an hour.

I took almost 100 pictures of 7 cars in stages of build from bare chassis to completion.

Absolutely stunning to see such hand made stuff.

I even got a picture of the original wood buck used in the '50's to hand form the bodywork.

As I left, they kindly gave me a gorgeous book of the Lister Jaguars.

Awesome morning followed by a great lunch in the 6 Bells pub down the road.

Roy

pic%201_zpsk5gycdme.jpg

pic%202_zpsqdbapiv5.jpg

pic%203_zpszztj2mlc.jpg

pic%204_zpsca7g2gco.jpg

pic%205_zpsvxnjnxgf.jpg

pic%206_zpseavc83tn.jpg

pic%207_zpsf9tretgs.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 7

I trust that's just the final assembly section of the works then Roy?

Did you see the fab.shop or the forming shop where the body work is actually formed and did you see(the really interesting bit for me)

the paintshop at all?

Are the engines still Jaguar's straight sixes or do they use other manufacturer's straight sixes nowadays?

Great photographs of some fabulous cars.

Many thanks for giving us a small join of a grand day out.

Many thanks all you guys.

Yes indeed - a kid in a sweet shop.

It was just mind boggling to actually stand among what could only be called engineering 'art'.

In answer to a couple of questions - the bodywork is hand made by a guy in Taunton and then assembled later.

Paint is also done elsewhere.

The engines are still the Jaguar 3.4 straight 6 with triple Dcoe 45's.

Apparently the cars are still made to exactly the same spec as in the 50's, and they are currently the only cars in the world to have a complete shell in magnesium alloy as per the originals.

Being virtually completely hand built, no two cars are identical.

I have 95 pics of the cars and will happily post more 'detail' shots if anyone is interested.

Roy.

• Like 3

There is big money is these authentic recreations or new old cars... I recall that Jaguar has built some new light weight E-Types to the exact spec of the original and I'm sure I've seen something about AC announcing they are to build a handful of 'new' AC Cobra's even using the original wooden buck.

They may not have the history of a genuine 50's/60's original but at a fraction of the cost I'd rather have one over a modern hypercar.

Automotive art! Thanks very much for sharing, Roy!

When I had a Westfield, I visited the factory in the Midlands. Not quite the same as Lister, though!

Lotus is on my list when I next visit the UK.

Edited by injidup

I've added a few more pics.

I have dozens more but they are mostly close-ups of the bits of the car to help with building the model.

Possibly of little interest to others.

It was an amazing visit - one I'll remember for a long time - well - until I go back again...

Roy.

pic%208_zps2233urfq.jpg

pic%209_zpsdctrink8.jpg

pic%2010_zpswv9j6gf6.jpg

pic%2011_zpsqz9duonu.jpg

pic%2012_zpsajzo3vdf.jpg

pic%2013_zpspvkcyjs2.jpg

pic%2014_zpscsmhqrkl.jpg

pic%2015_zpschfeyetx.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 2