Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21F-13 'Fishbed-C'

Hi all,

Here is my recently finished Trumpeter 1/48 MiG-21F-13. The decals are Begemot and the wheels are Eduard Brassin. The finish is Mr Color Silver/Steel/Gun Chrome. A full write up can be found at https://jonbryon.com/trumpeter-148-mikoyan-gurevich-mig-21f-13-fishbed-c/.

Comments welcome :)

Cheers

Jon

mig21f13_42.jpg

mig21f13_38.jpg

mig21f13_17.jpg

mig21f13_12.jpg

mig21f13_19.jpg

mig21f13_31.jpg

mig21f13_28.jpg

mig21f13_25.jpg

• Like 49

Splendid model ! , is the Mr. Color paint you have used acrylic ?

Regards

Thanks :) It's the Mr Color range, which are *not* water soluble. I think they are called acrylic laquers. I thin them with Mr Leveling Thinner.

Jon

Thanks :) It's the Mr Color range, which are *not* water soluble. I think they are called acrylic laquers. I thin them with Mr Leveling Thinner.

Jon

Thank you for your reply , would you say they are like the Tamiya acrylic paints then which can be diluted by alcohol ? I find your finish fantastic and am considering purchasing the same paint but wish to confirm that they are not enamels . :)

Is it possible to mask over this paint or does it lifts off ?

Edited by Basuroy

Thanks everyone :)

Thank you for your reply , would you say they are like the Tamiya acrylic paints then which can be diluted by alcohol ? I find your finish fantastic and am considering purchasing the same paint but wish to confirm that they are not enamels . :)

Is it possible to mask over this paint or does it lifts off ?

They are not like Tamiya acrylics. The Mr Hobby Aqueous range is similar to Tamiya, and can be mixed with them, but Mr Color is different. Mr Color are not enamels, but they are pretty toxic; they are not alcohol based, although they can be cleaned with alcohol (but cellulose/lacquer thinners is what's recommended).

You can mask over it no problem, but I make sure the plastic is clean by wiping it down with 100% alcohol.

Jon

• Like 1

Excellent work.

I like the F-13 version because its looks have a fragile quality to it, yet it's a powerful and sturdy aircraft having been operated well into the 1980s. Your model captures this well - I particularly am impressed by the smoothness of the finish. Superb!

Jay

On 14/09/2016 at 1:37 PM, Texan76 said:

Very nice work, one if my favorite airplanes. Curious, how would you compare this kit to the Eduard version?

Thanks!

Eduard don't make this model of MiG-21, but in general the Eduard MiG-21 kits, which are of later versions, are far, far superior to Trumpeter's Fishbed, both in terms of detail, fit and accuracy. I am currently building Eduard's MiG-21R, MiG-21MF and MiG-21bis and they are going together beautifully. The MiG-21bis, however, has an inaccurate nose, for which I am using Cold War Studio's resin correction set.

HTH

Jon