1/2000 New Jersey and HMS Hood

Hello everyone,

I was reading about the Bismark class, the Iowa class, the HMS Hood, and the Yamato and there's no better way to familiarize oneself with these kind of things but by making scale models of them. (Of course, considering some of these don't even exist anymore.)

So I made these two battle ships side by side and was quite pleased with the result. And upon looking at them, one as an adult would just wonder about how complicated it could be to balance a ship's power output vs. weight, vs. armor vs. weaponry vs. fuel capacity vs. size vs. agility etc, while the child in one is just trying to determine "which is cooler".

These are just a few photographs I'd like to share...

CIMG2510.jpg

CIMG2511.jpg

CIMG2512.jpg

CIMG2513.jpg

CIMG2514.jpg

CIMG2516.jpg

Hope you like! : )

• Like 7

FYI, both ships should have a black waterline. If New Jersey is supposed to be in her wartime guise, she should be painted Navy Blue with Deck Blue decks (inc wooden decks) in 1944 or Navy Blue up to main deck level and Haze Grey (Lightish Grey) above that level with Deck Blue decks again (1945). Hood should Medium Grey and Dark Grey steel decks. I find the different camouflage schemes on ships also helps make them more interesting.

Have you considered a larger scale, perhaps 1/700? There's a limit to what you can do with really small models, I find 1/700 provides enough detail without taking up too much room and I think you might enjoy the end result more. As for comparing, New Jersey is bigger, faster, better armoured and had bigger guns than Hood, in theory it would most likely be a fairly one sided fight!

thanks

Mike

• Like 2

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your comments. Clearly I painted them too simplistically. I will definitely want to get the colors right in the future and will come back to your post to get the info. Thankfully, they were painted with acrylic paints and it should be quite easy to get the paint off.

Regards,

Alberto

• 1 month later...

Nicely done as a visible comparison between the two ships. My grandad served on HMS Hood just before WWII so love seeing models of her. As stated by Mikemx the colours may not be too accurate, but in this scale it makes accuracy so much harder. Try another picture with them on your hand so the small size can be appreciated. 

:goodjob:

• Like 1

On 2016/10/20 at 7:13 PM, Mark4700 said:

Nicely done as a visible comparison between the two ships. My grandad served on HMS Hood just before WWII so love seeing models of her. As stated by Mikemx the colours may not be too accurate, but in this scale it makes accuracy so much harder. Try another picture with them on your hand so the small size can be appreciated. 

:goodjob:

Hi Mark,

I didn't know that the Hood existed before WWII. Luckily for your grandad he didn't serve on the Hood during the war.

I'll do justice to those little ships' colors one day. But they're not so little though when you realize that in scale, they should weigh around 20 tons!!!

As per requested:

CIMG2905.jpg

And to better compare:

CIMG2906.jpg

And let me take this opportunity to show off some of my earlier models, jejeje...

KIMG1161.jpg

B)

Edited by AlbertoYagi
Missed a few words.
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2016 at 3:17 AM, AlbertoYagi said:

Hi Mark,

I didn't know that the Hood existed before WWII. Luckily for your grandad he didn't serve on the Hood during the war.

I'll do justice to those little ships' colors one day. But they're not so little though when you realize that in scale, they should weigh around 20 tons!!!

Weight scales with the cube of the scale so the full size would be 2000^3 = 8,000,000,000 times heavier.  If those models weigh 0.1 lbs then scaled up that would be 800,000,000 lbs or 363,000 tons.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2016/12/5 at 9:12 AM, VMA131Marine said:

Weight scales with the cube of the scale so the full size would be 2000^3 = 8,000,000,000 times heavier.  If those models weigh 0.1 lbs then scaled up that would be 800,000,000 lbs or 363,000 tons.

Hmm, interesting. Wonder why that'd be.