1/72 Xtrakit Meteor NF12 (ex Matchbox)

Hi All

I have been doing this for a while now after seeing the excellent Dual Meatbox build diaries by the Baron and Spadgent. I picked this up fairly cheap on Ebay and have enjoyed putting it together, it has been built mainly OOB with some seatbelts, boxed in undercarriage bays, U/C front door modification to include the landing light cover and two lights added to the front U/C leg. Some filler was necessary although it was not too bad. I sanded off the subtle raised panel lines,I was going to pencil them in once the Matt varnish had dried but it was slightly tacky still after a number of days and would not stand the handling so did not bother in the end. The decals settled really well. Painted using Humbrol enamels and a hairy stick as usual.

2u5qgqx.jpg

1zvg7xw.jpg

118ommw.jpg

dptqfd.jpg

2d8qnfo.jpg

21kvyht.jpg

2zr3x90.jpg

287hx0m.jpg

2qkqjc3.jpg

v5zxna.jpg

Thanks for looking

All the best
Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
  • Like 29

That looks most smart Chris. Hard to believe that's brush-painted as you've achieved such an admirably-smooth finish. Knowing first-hand what the issues are with this kit makes me appreciate the fine job you've made of it all the more. Bravo!

Tony

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

This is one of the best models of this type that I have seen, nice paint job. I feel that the undercarriage is the only thing that lets these kits down. Hope Airfix decides to cover the Night-fighter versions shortly.

Best wishes

Steve.

• Like 2

Thanks Guys

Tony I wish I had been as brave as you on yours and scribed the panel lines but, that sort of thing scares me a bit so I have not yet done more than a few lines on a kit. The paint is thinned slightly and takes a few coats to apply and has to dry thoroughly before the next coat is applied.

Steve Thanks that is very kind of you, it was quite enjoyable to build and you are right about the undercarriage. although boxing in the rear bays helps (Thanks Tony a.k.a The Baron).

Thanks again and all the best
Chris

Hi Nigbadbadge:

Its nice to watch a very wonderful well done build of this old friend!!!

i was not thinkingthe Xtra Guys did it reboxing this old mould, and was wondering also if they have done it with all the variants the original one have had. This kit is a one that made the world to move from side to side and spining quicker than normal when she was released in the mid 80's if I remember well, I have watched a nice build by Mike McEvoy from old Allan Hall's SAM magzaine and was in love with the kit. The way the goood old guys leaded by Maurice Landi done it were very appropiate if you have access to some white metal cottage industry little bits from Aeroclub and other good persons "cottage industry" people to make virtually near all what you want in Meteor variants.

That way, I bought no less than two to make something special one day doing the versions the box has, as was all that I found available at my local Hobby Shop when Matchbox kits came to this shores and if possible, maybge one day willbuy another two. If one day I make at least one, will be happy with getting mine wellbuilt with at least the 50% the wonderful result you achieved here.

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers from Guatemala!!!

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

A really beautiful Meteor, a fine model .

I must admit that there are so many and so different

versions of the Gloster Meteor, that I am a bit lost and confused.

But I can only admire your work and the precision you used to.

Congratulations. Polo.

You really deserve a :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

• Like 1

Thanks Guys for your very kind comments

Luis Alfonso - Thank you very much, the kit contains three options a French NF 11, the NF 12 here and an RAF NF14. I do regret not adding some panel lines now though.

Tomoshenko - Thank you too, the thought of Airbrushing is a bit scary to me, also I cannot do this in my little attick workshop as is directly above the kids bedrooms too, one day maybe I will have a go, the canopy was not masked, I paint the canopies by hand and rub off any excess with a cocktail stick, although having one of those headlight magnifyers really helps stay on the lines.

John and Polo Thanks guys, I like the look of the meteor and have just invested in the 1/72 MPM F MK8 and this looks quite a detailed kit so it is in the stash for one day ....

Thanks and all the best
Chris

• Like 2

Thanks Guys for your very kind comments

Luis Alfonso - Thank you very much, the kit contains three options a French NF 11, the NF 12 here and an RAF NF14. I do regret not adding some panel lines now though.

Tomoshenko - Thank you too, the thought of Airbrushing is a bit scary to me, also I cannot do this in my little attick workshop as is directly above the kids bedrooms too, one day maybe I will have a go, the canopy was not masked, I paint the canopies by hand and rub off any excess with a cocktail stick, although having one of those headlight magnifyers really helps stay on the lines.

John and Polo Thanks guys, I like the look of the meteor and have just invested in the 1/72 MPM F MK8 and this looks quite a detailed kit so it is in the stash for one day ....

Thanks and all the best

Chris

Hey Chris, Thank you very much for the info!!! If some bgoxes of this nice kit cross in front of me,for sure will buy at least two more!!! And if possible, get another one and do ssome more panel lines BUT with at least the same finish...and also can try another of the two other versions or some of the older Matchbox release... Cheers!!!

A really nice looking Meteor with a great finish. Those 64 Sqn markings are very smart. The only squadron I can think of that flew both day and night fighter versions of the Meatbox operationally. As for the panel lines, I've just been flicking through some reference books and in many photos they are practically indiscernible so, personally, I wouldn't worry too much as they were kept in pretty good condition.

Those that have tackled this kit (and failed) appreciate the fantastic work that you've invested to get this to the finish line.

I have not ditched mine as yet, however it has been sitting on the S.O.D for quite a while now.

This great build may just revive it once again!!.

Cheers and thanks for posting.. Dave.

Thanks Guys

Dave, go fella give it a go, if you want real inspiration have a look at the Dual Meatbox diaries build with the Baron And Spadgent this will make you start it again. They are both great, The Baron built the Matchbox version of the Kit and really went to town and detailed the cockpit, U/C bays, UC and scratchbuilt the radar, I merely built mine almost from the box, but it was seeing that build that mde me get this kit.

Thanks Chris very Kind

Thanks too Tony for your kind comments

All the best
Chris

• Like 1

Beautiful job. Of all the Meteors, the NF variants like the looks of the most and I don't know why exactly. It could be that big black bulbous radome, or perhaps the greenhouse canopy up top. Maybe I just like it because it makes the jet look like a brute. Excellent job you've done with it.

Hi Guys:

Taking the advantage about this nice thread, i was wondering if it would be possible to make good use of the leftovers from a Matchbox/Xtrakit build to make something interesting mixing this parts with the Revell Meteor Mk 4. I bought some of the latter in a sale with the idea of build something special one day and looking at this build have got the idea.

Thank you very much in advance for the answer.

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso