Chivenor Choppers

BigReg

Its a bit strange how we get inspired to do a bit of modelling. It might be an air show, a new kit, a TV programme or just a chain of events.

Many years ago 2393 squadron ATC from Billericay in Essex went on annual camp to Chivenor. I was a cadet corporal at the time, we did all the usual things, AEF in Chippies, shooting, a night exercise and a trip to Ilfracombe.

Chivenor.jpg

Now fast forward a few years and I return as Flt Lt BigReg

293104_10150453486124418_710887410_n.jpg

CO of 1861 (wantage ) Squadron

An ex cadet of 1861 had only recently left Chivenor as Station Commander, Group Captain Roger Austin.

Once again pressing the fast forward button my wife and I retire to Devon only 40 miles from Chivenor and my model club North Devon Modellers is based at Barnstaple and chose Chivenor as the subject of a club theme.

Now I find this little book,

P1030515.jpg and within its covers this P1030516.jpg

So my work in progress will be the helicopters based at Chivenor all in 144 scale, Sycamore Whirlwind HAR 2, HAR 10, Wessex and Sea King.

Thanks for looking,

David

• Like 12

Here are the obligatory sprue shoots,

P1030514.jpg

The Sycamore was the first Rescue helicopter based at Chivenor and this is taken from the Revell German Tank Landing craft kit.

P1030510.jpg

The Whirlwind will from the miniwing kit, I have two of these, one as the piston engine model and the turbine HAR10.

P1030512.jpgP1030513.jpg

The Wessex is one of the Mark1 kits, in this case the Queens flight version.

P1030507.jpgP1030508.jpg

The final model is the Sweet Sea King, which was issued as a ready built under the FToys banner. Here it has Cartograph decals.

P1030506.jpgP1030505.jpg

OK, the next step is to get out the knife and sanding stick.

Thanks again for looking,

David

• Like 4

Thanks for looking in. Later today the eagerly awaited sprue shots will be ready. Martin, were you once at Abingdon club?

Regards

David

I was indeed, in fact I dd a stint as secretary before I was posted to Poole. I have had my arm twisted to come and help judge at the Abingdon show on 1st October.

Martin

Oooh another wip of interest, not normally a fan of the younger service but I have done quite a bit of work for the Chivenor Seaking over the last few years so will be bringing back some nice memories.

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 1

Very cool,

I grew up in N Devon and the Wessex used to fly up the Beach at Westward Ho! With the winch operator waving to all the Holidaymakers on the beach.

They also used to take an interest in us when we were Rock Climbing on Baggy Point or down the culm coast.

Very cool,

I grew up in N Devon and the Wessex used to fly up the Beach at Westward Ho! With the winch operator waving to all the Holidaymakers on the beach.

They also used to take an interest in us when we were Rock Climbing on Baggy Point or down the culm coast.

As a young air cadet in 1964 I did that very thing in an HAR 10 from Leconfield over Bridlington. Great fun.

David

Well a little progress yesterday I really am not keen on painted out windows on my models and in 144 scale this is the case so here are the way I am trying to tackle it.

The Sycamore had large windows at foot level and the side doors could be fitted with large bulged windows to allow a stretcher to be carried across the cabin In the Revell model these are solid. I intend to 'crash' mould the nose windows and cast the port plexiglass door in clear resin. So as not to damage the nose of the model I took as casting in resin to use as the plug.

P1030518.jpg

This is the door to be removed, The starboard one has the door removed anyway to allow the crewman to use the winch. You can also see the solid floor window.

I made the moulds from Siligum. It comes in tubs, one blue the other white. Just like milliput you mix equal lumps together till they go an even colour, the push in the part to be moulded. The mould sets in about five minutes and is nice a flexible to allow you to remove the part being copied.

P1030523.jpgP1030528.jpg

The fuselage now looks like this,

P1030531.jpg

and the castings like this,

P1030541.jpg

I also made a start on the windows for the Sea King. The window layout is different to the Sweet kit so I have started to add the rear bulged windows and the port cabin window into its new position.

P1030543.jpg

I will, after reading Chrisp's build, trying to find sub atomic droop stops and hydraulic piping for the rotor hub. :banghead:

Thanks for taking a looksee,

David

• Like 2

I have a little story from this place.. I stayed at a camp not far from Chivenor (South - opposite side, near a Marines camp?) when I was about 14 in Cadets.. I got a flight in a Sea King which was great but the next day I broke my collar bone, which was when the Sea King flight was meant to happen, luckily for me it got brought forward a day... I went home after and never finished the week, but as a plane geek, a broken collar bone was eased by having a flight in the Sea King, although I would of much preferred a Whirlwind! I have photos somewhere, but won't flood your thread. Looking forward to seeing this built up.

I have a little story from this place.. I stayed at a camp not far from Chivenor (South - opposite side, near a Marines camp?) when I was about 14 in Cadets.. I got a flight in a Sea King which was great but the next day I broke my collar bone, which was when the Sea King flight was meant to happen, luckily for me it got brought forward a day... I went home after and never finished the week, but as a plane geek, a broken collar bone was eased by having a flight in the Sea King, although I would of much preferred a Whirlwind! I have photos somewhere, but won't flood your thread. Looking forward to seeing this built up.

Lucky you,

Feel free to post the picture, you never know it might be the one I'm modelling.

David

A good start David but rather you than me trying to do this in 1/144 scale!

Martin

I've got a Hawk, Hunter, Sabre, Meteor, Vampire, Tempest and Spitfire on the go too, all in 144. Plus in 48th Meteor, Hunter and Hawk, all from Chivenor. The Hawk will be the one that crashed in our village!

• 2 weeks later...

Well real life has got in the way a bit, I laid 20 square metres of engineered oak last weekend and had to repair some play equipment in the village.

Anyway 'My Whirlwind has no nose, How does it smell? Terrible!'

photo P1030545.jpg  This is going to be the HAR 10, the nose will be sculpted in Milliput and the tail boom drooped by 3 degrees.

The Sycamore has had the side door and lower windows cast in clear resin.

P1030570.jpg

And another session of rhinoplasty,

P1030571.jpg

I have made a template for the HAR 10 and have drooped the tail.

P1030567.jpg

The filler does look very thick in these macro shots.  Lastly for today I fitted the side windows into the Wessex - an hour of fettling and fiddling and it still looks like its done by an apprentice double glazing fitter.

I must get some fresh milliput and super glue for tomorrow night at the North Devon Modellers meeting.

Cheers

David

Edited by BigReg
  • Like 1