This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

jrlx

What are you reading?

I just finished Louis Ferdinand Céline Journey to the End of the Night (something completely up my alley) and now for something more level Tom Clancy The Hunt for Red October (since I must have seen the movie about a dozen times).

Have just finished Piece of Cake  -  by Derek Robinson  -  for the 2nd time -  I know he has his critic's but I like his work and this is one of his best efforts, with some good dialogue and great characters -  Might go on to 'Damned Good Show' next.

Am saving 'The Flame Bearer' by Bernard Cornwell for my Week in Belgium in November.

I'm reading "Propellorhead" and "Airymouse" at the moment.  Quite nice to read about the joy and fun of flying rather than its destructive side...

After finishing my last book (Jets at Sea by Leo Marriott), I've started reading Feet Wet by Paul T. Gillcrist. 

Ben Elton's 'Time and Time Again'. Futurist sci-fi with a twist and a dark ending. Recommended.

Fatboydim -  Feet Wet is a great book, I  really enjoyed it.

let me know what you think of it.

B.R.

Paul

Hello Paul, I've read it a few years ago, and thought it was an excellent book. When my Tamiya Tomcat arrived, it reminded me that I had Feet Wet and thought I would read it again. Joe. 

Now I'm reading "Birds and Fools Fly", the story of how a doctor built a Currie Wot biplane in his shed, nursery and living room.

Dracula - Bram Stoker (again!)...

"For one who has not lived even a single lifetime,you are a very wise man professor"...

Just bought...

Von Richthofen, The Legend Evaluated - Richard Townshend Bickers..

Under The Guns Of The Red Baron - Norman Franks,Hal Giblin,Nigel McCrery..

The Four Ark Royals - Micheal Apps..

"Lemmy The Ultimate Biography" by Mick Wall. At only 300 pages I beg to differ, but it has cast light upon a few things not covered in Lemmy's own book - White Line Fever. Its amazing that Motorhead & Lemmy managed to go on for as long as they did by all accounts.

how is it..? just finished his excellent AC/DC bio ...slightly negative re the 'great white shark' of the music business, with its snout constantly in the trough, always feeding

1 hour ago, FalkeEins said:

how is it..? just finished his excellent AC/DC bio ...slightly negative re the 'great white shark' of the music business, with its snout constantly in the trough, always feeding

If you enjoy Mick Wall's writing then you will like this book. Having read White Line Fever I found Mick was a bit repetitive regarding Lemmy's life before Motorhead. A lot of it is anecdotal and very easy to read. I read Hell ain't a bad place to be as well and enjoyed that too. Cheers Greg

For the umpteenth time:

The Best of Myles

by Myles an Gopaleen (Flann O'Brien)

Some of the most magnificently-deranged and erudite comic writing you could possibly wish to encounter, from his columns in the Irish Times from 1939-66. It will change your views on railway gradients and alcoholic ink forever.

On 03/11/2016 at 4:55 PM, GREG DESTEC said:

"Lemmy The Ultimate Biography" by Mick Wall. At only 300 pages I beg to differ, but it has cast light upon a few things not covered in Lemmy's own book - White Line Fever. Its amazing that Motorhead & Lemmy managed to go on for as long as they did by all accounts.

I'll have to get that,have a couple of other books about Lemmy and Co (never the same after Eddie left)...

No Sleep or Ace of Spades (which album's the best)...

Fiction

Just about to start re-reading "A Civil Campaign: A Comedy of Biology and Manners" by Lois McMaster Bujold. Just goes to show that no matter how badly you thought a party went, it could have been worse.

I will happily to re-read all the Vorkosigan Saga books and novellas at any time.

DennisTheBear

Just starting on this one.

It seems a bit more objective than some of the other essays on the battle of the Greasy Grass (Little Bighorn) than some I've read in the past.

51T21LgCefL.jpg

Just finished Return of a King by William Dalrymple. A fascinating read - and scary to see how many of the mistakes made in Afghanistan by the Brits back in the 1840s have been repeated by the Coalition of the Willies 150-odd years later.

12 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

I'll have to get that,have a couple of other books about Lemmy and Co (never the same after Eddie left)...

No Sleep or Ace of Spades (which album's the best)...

Has to be Ace of Spades for me. No sleep is great to but I have yet to hear a live recording that captured Motorhead at their awesome st :D cheers Greg

Harrier Boy's by Bob Marston. Not bad at all, definetly one of the better books in the series too. 

Eng

Goshawk Squadron by Derek Robinson, not the first time I have read this. The other novels in the RFC series are worth a read too.

Cheers Greg:D

Just read this months pay-slip again......

The urge to start crying is almost overwhelming!

Chris.