This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

jrlx

What are you reading?

Have just finished Rowland White's Vulcan 607.

Very well written, which was quite expected after his Phoenix Squadron book.

Another of those "can't put it down" non-fiction reads, which genuinely shows to efforts which the crews and maintainers put into their op's.

Sadly, RW shows a rather biased opinion at times, and one which detracts from his work. Some rather odd "bugger, I have to add some story into this" afterthoughts, which detract from the main story line on multiple occasions. 

Overall, 5.5:10.

I'm reading Irex by Carl Rackman, an atmospheric historical mystery/thriller set on a sailing ship in 1890. 😇

Available as a download on Kindle. 

Written by a very, VERY close friend of mine (me, in fact!) 😆

Al

11 hours ago, Alan P said:

I'm reading Irex by Carl Rackman, an atmospheric historical mystery/thriller set on a sailing ship in 1890. 😇

Available as a download on Kindle. 

Written by a very, VERY close friend of mine (me, in fact!) 😆

Al

OK

I will buy it and have a read based on the unbiased revue

But you are owe me a coffee

Lol  ( cos on iPhone and can't do a smiley)

15 minutes ago, JohnT said:

OK

I will buy it and have a read based on the unbiased revue

But you are owe me a coffee

Lol  ( cos on iPhone and can't do a smiley)

It's a deal 😊

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

It's a deal 😊

Don't be too hasty, not posted the unbiased revue yet

Could cost you two coffees and a sticky bun. 😋

Yippee found out how to do smileys on mobile

Edited by JohnT
Happy at old dog finding new tricks

23 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

After I finished Robert Harris' "Imperium" I read "So Much for That" by Lionel Shriver.

My brother has read all of them, to be honest I have gone right off Robert harris' books after I read Ghost. Fatherland is by far and away his best book for me, Enigma a pretty close second and Archangel was a cracking read. but Ghost, was, well, mundane. As for his Cicero Trilogy, I couldn't get into Pompeii at all, and have passed on Cicero and Imperium.

I may well give Conclave a go when that comes out in paperback.

I can only remember two other books I tried to read and couldn't get interested in, Stephen King's Lisey's Story (weird - The Stand, IT, Christine, the Dome, 22.11.63  and the Tommyknockers are among my favourite books) and Gone Girl.

Currently on the fiction stash are 19Q4 parts 1 and 2, Canada by Richard Ford, Purity by Frantzen, City on Fire by Garth Halberg, and Maestra.

3 hours ago, Whofan said:

..... As for his Cicero Trilogy, I couldn't get into Pompeii at all, and have passed on Cicero and Imperium.

It probably helps that I have an interest in Roman history and I still remember Cicero as one of the more interesting and enjoyable characters from when I did Latin at school more than half a century ago. I agree that Imperium has its dull moments and it's a very "talky" book but overall I found it a decent read.  It's unusual for all the books in a trilogy to be equally enjoyable and I'll see what I make of Lustrum and Dictator in due course

A rather spiffing sci-fi adventure, space opera actually, called my electricity bill. It's amazing how exciting it is, and how seemingly rooted it is in implausible 'science'.

@stevej60, my solution for that issue is to take a photo with my mobile phone, then embiggen it. If you are phoneless, you can use a common-or-garden ordinary digital camera. Leverage technology for everything that it can give.

Just started Colossus Bletchley Park's Greatest Secret by Paul Gannon,should keep me occupied for a while!....

Edited by Vince1159

My word- a  first reading of "Chickenhawk"? I envy you! An absolute, stone cold classic- superbly written, fantastic structure and responsible for half of the Vietnam War cliches of the last 30 years, yet authentic,harrowing and deeply moving, a monumental piece of work. And you with a handle of AG! enjoy. 

Guards Guards! by Terry Pratchett. (for about the thirtieth time)

paul-kidby-night-watch.jpg

The Herald - Ed Greenwood

Book IV of The Sundering series.  Wizards and spies oh my!  ^_^

Re-reading 'Stoker's Submarine' by Fred & Elizabeth Brenchley, about the Australian submarine AE-2 that penetrated the Dardenelles Strait on the morning of the Gallipoli invasion.

11 hours ago, Troffa said:

My word- a  first reading of "Chickenhawk"? I envy you! An absolute, stone cold classic- superbly written, fantastic structure and responsible for half of the Vietnam War cliches of the last 30 years, yet authentic,harrowing and deeply moving, a monumental piece of work. And you with a handle of AG! enjoy. 

Indeed. My interest in the Vietnam war has only peaked in the last couple of years, and I've been slowly adding stuff to my reading list. Chickenhawk is superb, as you say, monumental. A brilliant read, one I suspect I'll be coming back to frequently.

But now that's done, I'm on to volume 1 of James Holland's War in the West. Hundred odd pages in and it looks promising.

Been reading The Second World War by Winston Churchhill ( his own later abridgement rather than the original six volume set!!!). It's not a bad read, bit heavy in places. He seem to put himself at the centre of everything but does tell some interesting behind th scenes stories

56 minutes ago, coolhand said:

He seem to put himself at the centre of everything

Tell me you're surprised! :lol:

Just picked up " Bomber Boys " again, having put it down after about 25% some time ago in favour of a couple of listening books.

Just finished "Tom Clancy's" Commander in chief. Not bad, but no red storm rising.

Hmmm, I need a new book to read ........

Early to Rise - A Suffolk Morning by Hugh Barrett

Another everyday tale of Suffolk folk by a lad who was on a farm learning his trade.

I am well into Suffolk based books at the moment, going through a bit of nostalgia I suppose - Dad was brought up in Suffolk, and regularly ploughed the field in Hoxne where a hoard of Roman Silver and Gold was found, sadly not by him!

Cheers,

Ray

`A Street Without Joy`, by Bernard Fall, for the second time. Read: `Hell In A Very Small Place` by the same author also for the second time, then it`s `Last Stand at Khe Sanh` by Gregg Jones.

Just finished reading Svetlana Alexievitch's "The unwomanly face of war", about the Soviet women who participated in WWII. it's an important book but very though emotionally.  Not recommend to the faint of heart but highly recommend to all interested in the Great Patriotic War.  

I'm now reading some lighter stuff: Ken Follet 's "The key to Rebecca".

Cheers

Jaime