As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

jrlx

What are you reading?

Ive recently finished The Whitley Boys by G L Donnelly and now I'm reading The Pendulum and the Scythe, Ken Marshall.

That and the distance to Leeming from where I live might be a bit of a clue to what might be appearing on my work bench soon. 🤣

On 10/04/2018 at 9:03 PM, Roger Newsome said:

Ive recently finished The Whitley Boys by G L Donnelly and now I'm reading The Pendulum and the Scythe, Ken Marshall.

That and the distance to Leeming from where I live might be a bit of a clue to what might be appearing on my work bench soon. 🤣

A Revell Trabant?

On 10/09/2016 at 1:40 AM, The Crusty one said:

Stephen Donaldson, Mordant's Need

(The Mirror of her dreams and A man rides through)omnibus edition, actually 3rd time I've read it but it's such a good read its one of those 'I cant put it down'books

I liked the Thomas Covenant books, but I can't remember if I've read these.

I have read the Icerigger trilogy by Alan Dean Foster which I think is 3 of the best sci find I've ever read.

Just started Upward and Onward, the biography of AVM John Howe, who flew Mustangs with the SAAF in Korea and went on the command the first RAF Lightning squadron ( No 74 ) and lead their magnificent aerobatic team.

I've just finished reading 'Shadows of War', by Stewart Binns, a novel set in the First World War.  One of the better ones I've read (there are some terrible books out there!), but I did notice a few detail errors that offended the anorak in me.  For example, infantry battalions did not have two platoon sergeants, the calibre of the Mauser Gew 98 was not half an inch (!) and in 1914 officers did not wear their rank badges on their shoulders.  Oh, and the author is clearly a great fan of Winston Churchill, who plays a large part in the book. These apart I did enjoy it, and I have the second volume, 'The Darkness and the Thunder' to start next.

Ready Player One and Jaguar Boys.  Shame about the swearing and sexual references in the former, my 8yr old was desperate to read it but he’s not growing up that quick...yet

Finished "Band of Brothers", moving & thought provoking in many ways to my mind, got the series DVDs on the way. Have begun "Air War East Africa 1940-41" by Sutherland & Canwell, having a decent set of maps at the front is a good start imho.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Having just finished James Hamilton Paterson's Marked for Death: The First War in the Air, I'm compelled to agree with @Procopius that it is not as strong as some of his other work. Not that it is in any sense a 'bad' book, but it is effectively a series of short-ish monographs on different aspects of the subject that is perhaps best read in installments over series if days, rather than at a single sitting.

I'm not usually one to use phrases like 'indispensable' about a book, but Timothy Snyder's

is I would say without hesitation required reading about the willful distortion of the world around us.

There.

That's cheered you up....

I'm reading Thirteen steps down by Ruth Rendell.

Ruddy creepy if you know anything of the Christie murders. :worry:

Finished reading "The Myth of Nations : The Medieval Origins of Europe", by Patrick J. Geary, early this week.

Immediately started reading "On Tyranny", by Timothy Snyder and am already halfway through. Let's just hope none of the advice in the book will ever be needed... again...

Been reading a couple of novels since I moved to a B&B just off Upper Newtownards Road a week ago.  The Other Hand, by Chris Cleave, followed by The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, by Rachel Joyce.

The parcel delivery guy just brought this.

39936757590_87e8fdb6ea_b.jpg

Chris

On 4/26/2018 at 12:01 AM, jrlx said:

Finished reading "The Myth of Nations : The Medieval Origins of Europe", by Patrick J. Geary, early this week.

Immediately started reading "On Tyranny", by Timothy Snyder 

Both added to the reading list now Jaime - thanks. 🤔

I'm guessing that you'll have already read Benedict Anderson's?

51AmzVNw2GL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I haven't read it myself yet but it's been so heavily referenced in other books of late that it feels mandatory at this stage....

Currently streaming its electrons my way is "The Reavers" by George McDonald Fraser, inspired by the recent mention of his work in a post somewhere on BM.

Next off the virtual shelf will be "Rotten: No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs" by a certain J. Lydon. It promises to be an interesting read, as does "Anger is an Energy - My Life Uncensored", also by Mr Lydon, but written 20 years later.

..now this is what I call a book, just arrived from Germany.. 700 A-4 hard-back bound glossy pages. Latest volume in the huge ‘Luftwaffe fighter unit‘ series from Jochen Prien....Volume 13 part 3,  covering Jan-Sept 1944, entitled "Operations in the West".  Somehow I don't think I'll be reading it cover to cover, but the pictorial content is fantastic..

Prienbook.jpg

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Both added to the reading list now Jaime - thanks. 🤔

I'm guessing that you'll have already read Benedict Anderson's?

51AmzVNw2GL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I haven't read it myself yet but it's been so heavily referenced in other books of late that it feels mandatory at this stage....

Hi Tony,

thanks for the reference. I haven't read it yet but I've also seen it referenced in my readings and it's already in my wish list.

I've already finished "On Tyranny" and started reading George Orwell's "Animal Farm".

Cheers

Jaime

Hogfather, Terry Pratchett. 

Need I say more?

Part way into The Forgotten Few: The Polish Air Force in the Second World War by Adam Zamoyski. Interesting stuff so far - some rollicking good anecdotes 

If anyone is after a holiday thriller to read next my brother has his first book coming out soon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hunter-explosive-action-thriller-summer-ebook/dp/B0791HSX5B/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524979592&sr=8-1&keywords=andrew+reid physical copies exclusive to airport WHSmiths at first but also on kindle. I haven't read the final edit but the drafts along the way were enjoyable action stuff

5 minutes ago, Darby said:

Tea leaves.

Oh, Darby, you're such a wag! . . .

Anyroadup, I'm just finishing "It Can't Happen Here" by Sinclair Lewis, an interesting work of fiction written in the 1930s and relevant in today's world with neo-nationalism rising in various places.