This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

jrlx

What are you reading?

At home, Tolkein's Silmarillion (my handwriting in the front dates it to 1984); Leslie Alcock's "Cadbury Camelot" (report and interpretation of the excavations of post-Roman fortifications at South Cadbury) and a collection of medieval poetry.

At work, the GLP Regulations, the SANCO guidelines (825 and 3029), revised SANTAE 11925 document and OECD 202 and 211. Don't go there. Just don't...

I have just re-read "The Godfather" by Mario Puzo. I thoroughly recommend it - a good read.

Now who can I make an offer to that they can't refuse at work tomorrow?

Currently reading Imperium by Robert Harris, the first part of his Cicero trilogy. It's a great read for anyone with even a passing interest in Roman history.

Currently on book 10 of The Arisen series. Post apocalyptic military fiction on steroids....great fun!

just finished a neat new Fonthill Media title 'The Junkers Ju 52 Story' by Jan Forsgren. 1,300 word review on my Luftwaffe blog..interview with the author coming soon

ju52Storycover.jpg

Canadian Pirate, on 10 Sept 2016 - 09:26 AM, said:

Finished The Hundred Days by Patrick O'Brian last week, and as soon as I'm done my latest issue of Canada's History I'll start on Blue at the Mizzen.

I'm also re-working my way through the series - just finished the Truelove/Clarissa Oakes, and am about to start Wine-Dark Sea.

I'm also reading The Habsburgs: Embodying Empire by Andrew Wheatcroft, Airfix ModelWorld magazine and the Osprey Avro Lancaster book.

I"be not long since finished "Airpower at Sea since 1945", by John Winton. For something I bought at a book fair I was impressed at how it did a good job of presenting an overview with some chilling stats about Korea & Vietnam. Now reading the compact Modellers Data File on the Sea Fury

Edited by stevehnz

Currenty working my way through the Trapp series by Brian Callison. Mr Spew doesn't half crack me up.

I tend to keep two or three volumes on the go at any one time these days. Currently in circulation are The Psychology of Visual Art by George Mather and Three Corvettes by Nicholas Monsarrat. For work I'm currently reading David Stump's book on Digital Cinematography.

Seeker by Jack McDevitt, August 1914 by Solzhenitsyn and X15:Extending the Frontiers of Flight, from NASA that only cost me £2.99 as a Kindle download.

One of our Submarines author Commander Edward Young.

Takes you from joining the submarine service through to being the

first RNVR Officer to command a submarine in the Royal Navy.

Beautifully written book he takes you through what goes on in a

submarine including escaping from a damaged submarine.

Through taking his Perisher to taking command of an 80% finished

submarine. No heroics it is told as it happened in minute detail.

Read in when I was a schoolboy, read it as a young man, in middle age

and now half way through as an old man. A classic.

Edited by LaurieS

Currently reading "Those magnificent men in their diving machines" on kindle.

great read on the history of submarines, so far covered Bushnell, Drebbel, Fulton & Bauer.

Chris

Just picked these up at a car boot

Atlantic Queens - Clive Brooks

Sea War 39-45 -  Janusz Piekalkiewicz

Discovery of the Bismark - Robert D Ballard

Fifty pence well spent :yahoo:....

Edited by Vince1159

Just read the first of 3 books in the Stiger's Tigers series in 2 days. Roman Legionaries, but a fictional world, elves, demons and warrior priests with magic....what's not to like?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00V5C3OIW/ref=series_dp_aw_ca_1

Edited: the Legionaries are not romantic! Damn auto-correct

Edited by SeanM

The Expanse series on Kindle (now being made into a TV series, season 1 of which isn't bad TBH).  There's a new one coming out in December too, which is just as well, as I'm currently starting the last book in the series :)

Edited by Mike
Putting in correct date.

Adler Gegen England by Neil Robinson from Key Publishing, really interesting so far & giving some structure to a heap of bits & pieces I kind of knew, but ooooh, the print is so small. :(

Steve.

11 minutes ago, Darby said:

This thread.

:lol: Every one's a winner :rolleyes:

Almost done with Sharps Trafalgar  - once that's out of the way will be starting Dominion by C.J. Sansom,and when that's done it will be on with Sharps Prey.

I must say i am enjoying the Sharp books, can't understand why i did not get into them long ago, but then i never did watch the Sharp TV series, I will have to get them on DVD at some time!

Just finishing this one.

battle_over_britain.jpg

A listing of (almost) every A/C lost over England and a day by day account of the Battle of Britain

The cooking instructions on a frozen beef curry,how small can they print the dam things,writing so small the KGB couldn't find it but a massive

picture of what the curry looks like,I know what a bl***y curry look's like,I want to know how long to nuke it for!!!!!!:angrysoapbox.sml: