This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

jrlx

What are you reading?

since we have chat threads for "what have you last purchased?" and "what music are you playing?", I thought it would be interesting to talk about what we modellers are reading in the spare time between model building and real life :)

Books, magazines, reference material, fiction, technical, ... anything is acceptable.

So, just to kick start, I've been reading the Portuguese translation of Svetlana Aleksievitch's "Vrémia Second Hand" (original Russian title), which was translated to Portuguese as "O Fim do Homem Soviético - Um Tempo de Desencanto" and to English as "Second-Hand Time".

It's a book about the end of the USSR (hence the title: The End of the Soviet Man), how was life in the Soviet Union and how it is now in the ex-Soviet Republics, especially in Russia. It's a tough and deeply tragic read but quite gripping. Highly recommended to anyone interested in History and in understanding the USSR and present-day Russia.

Cheers

Jaime

Stephen Donaldson, Mordant's Need

(The Mirror of her dreams and A man rides through)omnibus edition, actually 3rd time I've read it but it's such a good read its one of those 'I cant put it down'books

The Messershmitt 262 combat diary, by J. Foreman & S. E. Harvey. Air Research Publications, 1995.

An exceptionally well researched and put together book involving almost every known combat that these jets were in. The night fighters were an interesting sub-species of the type. I imagine it being a monster to handle, with 1st Gen AI radar, turbines and huge airspeed issues to deal with, all at once!

Cosford's gift shop and its "bargains table" has a lot to answer for! A bargain price for a great read.

'Miracles on the Water' by Tom Nagorski. It's about the sinking of the SS City of Banares. A real page turner.

I've been reading Red Harvest, by Dashiell Hammett. I had expected he'd be approximately as good as Raymond Chandler, one of my favourite authors, but so far I'm pretty unimpressed.

Britmodeller forums :)

That made me smile

As to what I'm reading, I have Andrew Rawnsley's Servants of the people, about the first Blair government; The Kennedy conspiracy, a pot boiler thriller by Michael White and a bio of Spencer Tracy by Spencer Curtis all on the go at the moment.

I'm going to have to sort the stash of unread books out soon, else I'll be stuck to find something to read.

However, I do have Operation Big, the story of the hunt for Germany's atomic bomb and scientists at the end of ww2 and the Kamikazi hunters - FAA in the Pacific war at the top of the war book stash, Bios of Robert Plant and Pete Townshend at the top of the music stash, and .... Fiction and non fiction stashes to plow through!

Latest Railway Magazine

Books: No Man's Sky; Diary of a B-17 waist gunner. Seven Pillars of Wisdom. Mein Kampf.

Just finished VC's of the Air-John Frayn Turner and One Day in Oradour-Helen Watts...Currently i'm on The Lancaster Story-Peter Jacobs....

1218 Napoleon's Fatal March on Moscow by Adam Zamoyski. Nothing like a bit of light reading!

Just finished Jefferson's War by Joseph Wheelan.

Good study on the Barbary canoflicts

Currently working my way through L. Sprague DeCamps Rivers of Time collection of short stories (again.

DeCamp is definitely one of my favorite authors.

1218 Napoleon's Fatal March on Moscow by Adam Zamoyski. Nothing like a bit of light reading!

Is it worth buying Andrew,have the books,Napoleons Last Campaigns,Austerlitz and Morengo...

Last chapter of

Destiny in the Desert by Jonathan Dimbleby very good the battle of El Alamein

Then on to 1812 Napoleons Fatal march on Moscow which seems to be popular on here :coolio:

The Black Widow by Daniel Silva. Over the last month I've read all of the Gabriel Allon series as I became fascinated with the amount of research Silva relies upon and his skillful interweaving of fact and fiction. Having now finished all his works I'm looking for a new author to devour.

Just working my way through Broken Vows by Tom Bower a real eye opener on Tony Blair and his style of leadership. Hard going for me, but very interesting.

for a little light relief i'm also getting stuck into Sharps Trafalgar, and eagerly waiting for the next in the Uhtred series.

Just working my way through Broken Vows by Tom Bower a real eye opener on Tony Blair and his style of leadership. Hard going for me, but very interesting.

I finished that one just before Rawnsley's book. As you say, a real eye opener!

Corduroy by Adrian Bell. An every day tale of Suffolk folk.

Cheers, Ray

Jets at Sea. Naval aviation in transition 1945-1955. Leo Marriott.

I tried picking up again The Accursed by Joyce Carol Pages. Again I failed to develop an interest in the characters or the plot. Again I went for the Berke Breathed collection...

Most recently, as part of my work placement module and for a work project; the AS8879D screw thread specification.

I used specified dimensions to determine a mathematical proof for an equation to manufacture threads :nerd:

Ben