Airfix New Jet provost T3 now in stock!

Selwyn

All we need now is to look at a JP4. There is one in the Cranwell Aviation Heritage Centre in North Raucby but I didn't have time to visit yesterday.

There are also examples at East Midlands Aeropark, Elvington, Bruntingthorpe and Metheringham so, if I get chance I'll measure one up. *

Could be a wee while though.

Comment was made earlier about the internal equipment fits of the aircraft.

These shots are off our CPT (Cockpit Procedures Trainer) and are representative of the JP3A. Our CPT came from Scampton but every BFTS would have had one (we had 2 at Cranwell which were JP3 noses but fitted out as JP5As). Steve (Fritag) and I must have spent hours in these bloody things practicing our 'Checks' until we were word perfect; woe betide any baby pilot turning up at the flying sqn who wasn't perfect on his/her checks, that would get you a good slap around the head!

You can tell the cockpit is for a JP3A, besides the fact the instrument panel is grey, it is fitted with a single ARC 52 UHF box as well as a VOR/ILS and a DME. Also of note is the FH32b Standby Attitude Indicator (actually 'Partial Panel Instrument Flight' (IF) was easier using the FH32b with its good pitch and roll attitude presentation graticle as opposed to doing 'Full Panel IF' and having to select 1/4 horizon bar widths on the execreble Mk4 Artificial Horizon!) Finally on the lower starboard instrument panel there are 3 levers for the cabin heating controls. A JP5A would have looked similar but would have had the pressurisation controls instead of the cabin heat controls of the JP3A. The JP5A also had a different oxygen regulator. Additionally the VOR/ILS and DME controllers in the 5A were on the LHS of the Instrument Panel (above the ARC 52).

DSCF1595_zpse8m1s7yo.jpg

DSCF1596_zpsv3ckefne.jpg

DSCF1597_zps8noflpyv.jpg

DSCF1598_zpsbxbsgapf.jpg

DSCF1599_zps7rkkihbb.jpg

DSCF1600_zpsw6d0wqy7.jpg

DSCF1601_zpsvy7e1nht.jpg

DSCF1602_zpswyyy2yjs.jpg

DSCF1603_zps3nxxfhfk.jpg

DSCF1604_zpsbjsfvofj.jpg

In the last shot you can see the pin stowage. Note there are 9 pins: 2x Main Gun, 2x Guillotine (Manual Seperation Handle), 2x Face Screen, 2x Seat Pan, 1x  Canopy Jettison. The JP5A post Mod 1958 (the fitting of MDC to the canopy) had 10 pins because, instead of the single Canopy Jettison pin, there were 2x MDC Firing Sear pins.

• Like 6

Debs,

Brilliant references thanks for posting!

I've been wondering about the correct colours for the seat cushions, packs and webbing, I'd also been wondering about the trim wheel colour but this shows it very nicely - grey!

Would the IP of a JP4 been black then?

Turning to our JP3, you will notice that the interior is all black, there is no FH32b nor IFF/SSR box, 2x ARC 52 UHF boxes, some of the engine instruments are in different positions to those in the 3A and there is a standby altimeter mounted on the coaming. Ignore the synchronometer on the far left of the Instrument Panel (left of the ARC 52), it's spurious and probably fitted by a former owner to fill the hole. It should be a UPI (Undercarriage Position Indicator).

DSCF1605_zps33zjhtza.jpg

DSCF1606_zpsgg1bagoo.jpg

DSCF1607_zps8gvohcfj.jpg

DSCF1608_zpsr6ap78ah.jpg

DSCF1609_zpsylisqtiy.jpg

DSCF1610_zpssh1ninjj.jpg

DSCF1611_zps8q1vtsjh.jpg

DSCF1612_zps7z7cwr3i.jpg

I would warrant that the JP4 would be quinttessentially similar to this.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Ascoteer said:

Wez be careful on seat fittings, later on (certainly by my time on the JP) the PSP cover and lumbar pad were an olive green colour.

Thanks, will do, I've always thought green was applicable to later ac though, all of the ones I'd seen from the 60's era had buff/khaki coloured fittings.

Thanks for posting the JP3 stuff, I'll go with black for my JP4 IP.

Edited by Wez
extra words

52 minutes ago, Ascoteer said:

Comment was made earlier about the internal equipment fits of the aircraft.

These shots are off our CPT (Cockpit Procedures Trainer) and are representative of the JP3A. Our CPT came from Scampton but every BFTS would have had one (we had 2 at Cranwell which were JP3 noses but fitted out as JP5As). Steve (Fritag) and I must have spent hours in these bloody things practicing our 'Checks' until we were word perfect; woe betide any baby pilot turning up at the flying sqn who wasn't perfect on his/her checks, that would get you a good slap around the head!

:rofl:

Don't forget the hi-tech training aids we were given to take away and practice with :D

IMG_0002_zps42623c1d.jpg

The hours I spent with my flight reference cards in one hand and reaching out with the other to tap a piece of cardboard.........

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Anyone received a JP from Hattons yet?

Yes!  Five of them! :D

:hmmm:

Maybe that's why you haven't got yours yet :sorry:

• Like 1

How in hell are these so bloody cheap? Surely the design and tooling of a small kit is as expensive and time consuming as a big one. Shouldn't a Vulcan, Lanc and Spitfire be dirt cheap because they're depreciated across so many units whereas a JP which is a bit more niche cost more?

6 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

How in hell are these so bloody cheap? Surely the design and tooling of a small kit is as expensive and time consuming as a big one. Shouldn't a Vulcan, Lanc and Spitfire be dirt cheap because they're depreciated across so many units whereas a JP which is a bit more niche cost more?

Design and tooling cost less than big kitsas there are less parts (so less time). Tooling costs less than it did 20 years ago, especially when done overseas. The biggest factor is probably production costs, and on a kit like the JP with relatively few tools you have fewer injection operations per kit. You design your kit for it's intended place in the range based on all those factors

1 hour ago, ptmvarsityfan said:

Hi, Just had an e-mail from Hattons informing that

my JP order has been processed! Hopefully will

arrive in the next few days! I assume they have received

a new batch.

Cheers, Paul

Me too!

3 hours ago, Flyboy72nd said:

Also just got notice from Hattons my kit is in the mail, so you are off the hook!!?!! :chair:

Like many of us I suspect, I'd pre-ordered on another shop's site, once I saw the eH's price, I found I could order 5 from them at little more than 2 from the original store - no contest really!

Mrs Wez did question my need for 5 kits of the same aircraft, when I started waxing lyrical about the many colour schemes and her eyes glazed over I knew I needed explain no further!

• Like 2