Heavy Hauler-Cargolux 747-8-F

stevej60

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Just trawling around Halford's website to see if they do any gray paint and found a Racking gray,I googled the colour and found

a link to a BM build where it was used,I think I could live with it for this build.

Steve,

Check this very nice A380 build of fellow Britmodeller FortyEighter, he has an interesting comparison of Halfords Racking Grey and Holts HL01 Grey linky which you might find useful.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Steve,

Check this very nice A380 build of fellow Britmodeller FortyEighter, he has an interesting comparison of Halfords Racking Grey and Holts HL01 Grey linky which you might find useful.

Nice one, I think the Halfords looks like the one for me as it's got a glossy finish.

Lacking progress due to needing paint and lousy weather this week has stalled this one, popped into Halfords but no Racking gray in store

they told my it's now industrial gray which looking at the Humbrol style colour banding around the top is a very dark gray similar to RAF

ocean Gray,I trolled the manufacturer's thinking no one these day's would Include gray in their range but Ford still do a polar Gray and the

band looked as near as dammit so hopefully dry weather tomorrow mean's rattling the can!

From memory Ford Polar Grey is significantly darker than Racking Grey which I've been using as my standard "Boeing" grey for a few years now. I wouldn't willingly use anything else and I'd be concerned to think it's been taken off the market.  Its not unknown for Halfords shop staff to be ignorant (both literally and figuratively) and as Buzz says the website is showing Racking Grey as a current product. Industrial Grey and Racking Grey are totally different colours with RAL numbers 7005 and 7035 respectively.  If your local Halfords doesn't have Racking Grey in stock you can "Click and Collect" through the website.

• Like 1

Thank's guy's got a chance to test spray a scrap piece this morning it is way too dark in fact it's identical to the primer she's in,I'm off out today

and will be passing Sunderland's bigger Halford's store should get some there fingers crossed.!

• 2 weeks later...

Good news about the paint. I often wonder about Halfords staff and their offer helping to fit wipers and batteries and baby seats, some of them look like they struggle to put their trousers on! 

Looking forward to seeing some pictures . 

Jeff

• Like 1

Great progress. It's always nice to start the painting process. I'm especially pleased because the special cut away colour scheme aircraft has just flown over our house (not deliberately for us, but on its way home from New York).

Looking forward to seeing those big red stripes on it!!

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 1

Looking mighty fine there Steve. On the subject of "knowledgeable" Halfords staff I would have to say the phenomena is not limited to just them, it seems that nearly all sales staff under the age of, shall we say 30, know next to nothing about the products or their location or availability within the store but instead of just being straight with you and telling you they don't know, don't care and could you get lost and stop annoying me insist on pretending that they do and giving you a load of duff gen or dragging you off blindly round the store to where "they were sure it was here". Well that went on for a bit but I must say I feel a lot calmer now, sorry for the partial hi jack, look forward to seeing this progress,

cheers,

spad the calm.

• Like 1

On 31/10/2016 at 2:41 AM, spaddad said:

instead of just being straight with you and telling you they don't know, don't care and could you get lost and stop annoying me insist on pretending that they do and giving you a load of duff gen or dragging you off blindly round the store to where "they were sure it was here".

I believe these days this is called "On the Job Training".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spaddad said:

What the hell is that lurking behind the Mustang box which is itself lurking ominously in the background?

It's the Missus Halloween bucket Dave which is still full of sweets as not one little horror knocked on the door trick or treating last night

so I have stuffed myself with jellies all day and I'm now hypa!

3 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

It's the Missus Halloween bucket Dave which is still full of sweets as not one little horror knocked on the door trick or treating last night

so I have stuffed myself with jellies all day and I'm now hypa!

Way to go Stevie!

• Like 1

Looking very nice now. I know what you mean with those decals, they are monstrously large but they do largely behave, and turn the grey beast nice and colourful. The grey does look good in that light, slightly off white but not too dark, great choice!

Bob

• Like 1

Thank's Bob,I,ve continued the decaling in small stages and there are mainly the wing and a few smaller decals left then it's back to

painting the wing and tail details.

DSCN3964_zpszucwzhfv.jpg

• Like 6

Looking the business! but I know what you mean about time running out, I just need to fit a couple of winglets and do a general tidy up on my final build, but keep getting sidetracked........ no panic stations just yet! :frantic::frantic::frantic:

Bob

• Like 1