Heavy Hauler-Cargolux 747-8-F

stevej60

Hi folks,well I went through a host of possible contenders for build number two all would have to have been online sales and

incur extra postage costs so I decided to stick with my local shop and the 20% discount he gives on Revell kit's so for a very

reasonable £18 this beast was sat on the shelf and caught my eye,first impressions on opening the box were very favourable.

Crisply molded on a very matt white plastic there is no flash to be seen and some beautiful detail on the smaller parts especially

the fan blades,all this topped of with a great decal sheet.

Is it small or was the TU-144 large?

DSCN3572_zpshqkbijen.jpg

Box and contents.

DSCN3570_zpsjb7fo0qb.jpg

Hopefully the TU-144 will be done in about a week then I'll post the start.

• Like 7

Nice selection Steve,

I have just started on a B747-400F which I think will become another build here very shortly.

Thanks Ray,of course I,ve now seen the British Airways air cargo decals available for this version and think it would look stunning finished in

that scheme.

• Like 1

Thank's folk's,Having just fitted all those wheels on the TU-144 and painted them I,m going to build this one "in flight" as there is a beautiful large stand

supplied with the kit.

• Like 1

I'll be watching this one. I've got a part built one sitting on my shelf. I think I just ran out of enthusiasm for it as I didn't really know where to put it when finished. It builds really nicely. I hope someday mine will be finished in Cathay Pacific colours.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi all,one of those days when I can't be bothered with painting anything so got on with this one lots of sub assembly pieces and the wings and 

tailplanes are glued and cleaned up,looks like it should be a reasonable fit when the time comes.

DSCN3607_zps7nvtzoqz.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3

Morning folk's just had a fun time removing the eight fan blades from the sprue and assembling them thankfully without incident,the fixtures for

the lower wing are also cleaned up and fixed in place

.DSCN3615_zpskascqlgq.jpg

• Like 3

Cracking progress Steve :thumbsup2: 

I'm wondering, is this a Revell boxing of the Zvezda 747-8?

I have the latter and as Ray will concur, I have been very cowardly towards it :confused:. Now quite ashamed, it looks a nice kit.

Is it 1/144? I like you, am really surprised at the similarity in size to the Tu-144. 

Going together a treat, looking forward to the rest of this!

best regards

Tony

Cracking progress Steve :thumbsup2: 

I'm wondering, is this a Revell boxing of the Zvezda 747-8?

I have the latter and as Ray will concur, I have been very cowardly towards it :confused: . Now quite ashamed, it looks a nice kit.

Is it 1/144? I like you, am really surprised at the similarity in size to the Tu-144. 

Going together a treat, looking forward to the rest of this!

best regards

Tony

• Like 1

The Zvezda boxing is a 747-8I, not cargo, although it is possible that Revell swapped out the hump. I'm pretty sure Revell's and Zvezda's -8Is are different, although I am not 100% sure. Actually, now that I think about it, the Revell 777 is a rebox of the Zvezda...could the 787 be the same?

• Like 2

Coming along nicely Steve :thumbsup:

The B747-8f by Revell is a new tool as is their B747-8i. I chopped my Zvezda -8i to an 8f prior to the Revell kit becoming available.

When it comes to B777s and B787s all the Revell kits are beboxed Zvezda items....

• Like 3

Hi all,the fuselage is drying nicely after a trouble free glueing session tonight,I fitted the wheel bays despite building her in flying mode,I visited my 

eldest today and from his stash I was given Revells 747-400 which I may enter as number three,I don't fancy the dull Lufthansa box scheme there 

are two AM set's out there a cracking Virgin atlantic scheme or the one I,m really taken by a Singapore Airlines 50th Anniversary set,I should finish 

the TU-144 this week and reckon about a fortnight for this one so I'll see what's what then.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

Hi all,near to no modelling over the last few day's so an update from Monday's session as you can see the fuselage is completed and cleaned

up ready for primer.The large insert foe the centre/U/C area was fitted without a hitch,so far so good!

DSCN3628_zpsci4z0cgt.jpg

DSCN3630_zpsx3gfjsb4.jpg

• Like 6

Many thank,s Ray,and here she is as of yesterday,just pushed the wings on for a photo all ready for painting which I'll do as separate pieces and

assemble properly once finished.

DSCN3649_zpse7mzro5b.jpg

• Like 5

The wings are quite a good tight fit. If you're a bit short of display space, the wings could be removed and the model stored in its box awaiting it's turn to be put on display.

Cracking build Steve. I'm always wary of cutting off the finely moulded fan blades. My careless handling has broken a couple off.

Jeff

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Those wings must be a VERY good fit if you've just "pushed them on" Steve.

As Jeff has noted they are a good enough fit not to glue for easy storage,even tighter after a couple of layers of paint.

Hi folk's I don't get many people passing by as were in a quiet street that leads nowhere but those that did today are wondering

why someone is  spraying what appears to be a real Jumbo Jet in the yard,the damn thing looks even bigger in one

colour.

DSCN3767_zps9u2wy96h.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 8

Just trawling around Halford's website to see if they do any gray paint and found a Racking gray,I googled the colour and found

a link to a BM build where it was used,I think I could live with it for this build.

• Like 2