Couldn`t Resist Another- New 1/72nd Airfix Martlet Mk.IV- FINISHED

You're right about the prop - P&W Martlets had the Curtiss, usually with the bullet fairing (but not the real Mk.IIIs.) Wrights had the slightly shorter, much fatter HamStan (but not FM-2s & Mk. VIs) . FAA codes always read left-to-right whichever side: ABC, A*BC or AB*C as convenient. E & OE!.

Airfix's hood is duff because it's trying to conceal a really serious fuselage error - the side-view outline's not bad but the fuselage barrel is too fat from firewall to tail. This submerges the lower edge of the spine = the crease is to bowed up in the middle = the canopy rails are too high at the back, See http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/fm2/fm2e-1.html

and/or try to apply an appropriate US star in the right place and compare same with a photo. They can't be made to match. Crying shame!

I love the U/C, but hack it so the whole assembly can be fed in from under, later. Leave off part A3 and run plastic rod from just above the aft end of the keel to the inner forward fuselage cheeks instead. Saves tears before bedtime!

As for taper on the real sliding hood .... I can't make my mind up either. Is it similar to the Hurricane, which flexes as it moves on tapered runnersfrom open to closed?

I ended up with an open, cold-wrapped hood and it still looks awful. Curses.

• Like 1