1/48 Saab J 32E Lansen, Hobbyboss

Bjorn

Here is my build of Hobbyboss new Saab J 32E Lansen. A kit with its errors, but that was far better than I expected.

29506099466_aedee0593b_c.jpg

I have tried to capture the blue/green Swedish AF camouflage (also featured on Draken), where the blue turned almost turquoise. This Lansen was one of the last flying in regular service. It was modified for electronic warfare and flew until 1998.

29506062006_d9b84a368d_b.jpg

Here is ther WIP thread. But in brief: This is not a bad kit at all. Of course (remember that this is Hobbyboss), there are a number of pretty obvious errors. Most of them can however be fixed rather easily. But overall shape is good - it really looks like a Lansen, panel lines are great, and (almost) correct everywhere.

Here is a short list of things that have to be corrected:

-Nose shape is a bit wrong, but can be improved through sanding and by moving the nose cone panel line about 3 millimeters forward.

-The part above the exhaust is far too long and too thick. This can be fixed easily in a way that makes 95% of all viewers to think that it is OK, but demands extreme surgery to fix perfectly.,

-Lansen had only one pitot tube, the kit supplies two.
-The shape of the air intakes is a little wrong, but this can be adjusted to 95% perfection with a knife and some sanding

29432431432_8478490956_b.jpg

There is something strange with the canopy. It just doesn't look right when it is closed, I think it is a bit too rounded and that the front part is a bit too long. Therefore, I decided to display it with open canopy, which demanded some extra cockpit detailing. The rear instrument panel is wrong for the E version (and actually, for other versions too...) and had to be replaced by a scratch-built one.

In fact, cockpit is far too large(!) But if you can live with that, it still is very similar to a Lansen cockpit.

29459737421_9710794201_b.jpg

29431040042_b9acae4ef5_b.jpg

Air brakes are included - great! It is a pity that they are too small and with a slightly wrong shape... I used Maestro Models air brakes instead.

29506061256_644fcaf6dd_b.jpg

The electronic warfare pods are almost correct.

29506061626_db818f83b3_b.jpg

28916286214_6e4e26f06e_b.jpg

When overall shape have its errors, details are often great.

28917746973_7983257ab2_b.jpg

29460844811_5a664e5caf_b.jpg

29506162336_6249b76144_b.jpg

I added some details in the wheel wells:

29431040222_7aa84fa5a4_b.jpg

28915250014_02f976e642_b.jpg

The kit also has some errors that are more difficult to fix:

-The area on both sides of the front part of the fin (above and in front of the stabilizers) has wrong shape.

-Wingtips (also on stabilizers) have a slightly wrong-shaped angle
-The rear part of chaff dispensers should be a bit thicker than the rest of the pod.
-The part behind the cockpit has wrong shape, the rear part of it should be wider (and not drip-shaped)
-Decals are crap, and also wrong for a J 32E (The actual aircraft was a J 32B, but is preserved in flying condition after being modified as a E - or maybe a D target tow . Still, it never flew in these markings as a J 32E.). I used Maestro Models decals instead.

29541682985_c78bc7465c_b.jpg

If you want to have a Lansen in your collection, this can be a kit for you. If you want to build a perfect Lansen, avoid this one and turn to Tarangus instead.

However, this one is much easier to build, fit is great, and most of the time it was a really enjoyable build.

29507489846_c52eb685bc_b.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 31

That's lovely. I've always liked the Lansen - it has the look of a cross between a Hunter and a Starfire, as if it was the apotheosis of the F-80/T-33 line. Whatever the kit's inaccuracies, I think I can see my first Hobbyboss purchase in the near future.

Edited by JosephLalor

Wonderful Bjorn, lovely model and well deserving of it's gold medal at the AIM show. (also good to meet you and Johan at the event). I managed to get hold of the Tarangus kit for a very good price via a friend of Jan so whilst not the easiest kit to build I think I'll stick with that rather than the HB offering with all it's customary errors that you point out and skilfully dealt with.

Having seen so many Lansens over the past 14 days and sitting in the Historic Flight's aircraft I really appreciate the size of the beast especially when seen against a Hunter or even a Viggen !

Great job...

Wonderful Bjorn, lovely model and well deserving of it's gold medal at the AIM show. (also good to meet you and Johan at the event). I managed to get hold of the Tarangus kit for a very good price via a friend of Jan so whilst not the easiest kit to build I think I'll stick with that rather than the HB offering with all it's customary errors that you point out and skilfully dealt with.

Having seen so many Lansens over the past 14 days and sitting in the Historic Flight's aircraft I really appreciate the size of the beast especially when seen against a Hunter or even a Viggen !

Great job...

Thank you! It was really nice to meet you too! And to see your impressive SIGs that you brought all the way to Gothenburg. Since your modelling skills are excellent, Tarangus is the obvoius choice for you. And I am convinced that you can achieve something very interesting with that kit! And of course I am very eager to see it on your workbench. :)

And of course, just contact me if you need some help, references, ideas om markings - or just plain rivet-counting. :)