Eurofighter Typhoon - BoB 75th Anniversary - Revell 1/72

CedB

Hi Ced

Crikey you have cracked on with this one. Love the look of the Typhoon. Great work so far, I have been doing the 1/48th version on and off for a while, I had trouble getting the seat to fit into the cockpit although nothing that a light filing won't cure, the Airbrake was also a bit of a so and so, but otherwise quite a nice kit. Great choice of scheme on this one too.

Keep up the good work

All the best
Chris

• Like 1

Hello Ced. Looks good as usual. :goodjob: One question. Is this a downscaled version of the 1:48?. Looks something like that. Not my favorite scheme on that, but mine would be anyway a what if scheme. Something obscure like in an arctic viper scheme with fictive Greenland independance force markings ( Danish markings with a polar bear or a pinguine inside the white roundels or something like that and maybe a schark mouth) Cheers

• Like 1

Hi Ced,

As usual you're a very fast builder (but no lack of attention to detail and care, though) and I only notice your threads when you're done or nearly done. This time I managed to get in before the end :)

I was very interested in seeing how your build developed, because Revell's was one of the possible kits to add a Eurofighter to my stash.It seems it's cursed with fit problems and gives a good fight, so I may have to consider the Hasegawa's. By the way, Hasegawa has a boxing with this BoB 75th Anniversary special scheme.

Anyway, you're making excellent progress and dealing admirably with all obstacles the kit throws your way! :goodjob:

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Ced, I love the cock pit transfers, thay have come out a treat! And how have I missed so much progress? Or are you just going at a startling pace?? Who knows (I could check time stamps, but that would spoil the mystery)....what I do know is that it's looking great! And that my menswear floor are short of XL size cubes so if you could pop that in the post to me I would appreciate it .... Every little helps! Oh wait crap.... I mean.... Oh never mind

Rob

Thanks Rob :) (PM me if you really need the cubes!)

That's a relief Ced :phew:.

Not thought, but some voice controls are there in the Typhoon, but the old control stick is very much needed.

Others will know more, but I think the 'crystal ball' gunsight is a HUD, screen type thingy. All very clever stuff in that cockpit.

When I look at the Eurofighter I can't help but think about Dr. Alexander Lippish with his pioneering work on delta wings and canards; in many ways the Typhoon seems to carry DNA right through from his experiments in the 30's. It really is an attractive aircraft, smiley face and ears or not :)

A really fascinating build.

Nothing else can go wrong now :whistle:

ATB

Tony

Thanks Tony :) It is growing on me... quite pretty really, and the wing shape...

Hi Ced

Crikey you have cracked on with this one. Love the look of the Typhoon. Great work so far, I have been doing the 1/48th version on and off for a while, I had trouble getting the seat to fit into the cockpit although nothing that a light filing won't cure, the Airbrake was also a bit of a so and so, but otherwise quite a nice kit. Great choice of scheme on this one too.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris :) It is going together quickly... or perhaps I'm not bothering too much? I hope it's the former!

I didn't get my afternoon nap yesterday either, went to an air display instead. Nice low key event with no noisy grey jets and a distinctly 1930s feel to it. Lovely.

John

Hi John :) Missed the nap for an air display? Fair enough...

Ced, slow down a bit, will you? I can't quite keep up! :D :D

Great save(s) you've done, brilliant! :clap:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :rofl:

Forgot to add to the above, you're making fantastic progress.

John

Thanks John :)

I don't check BM for the weekend and suddenly he's nearly done.....

Nice work... The pit looks great.

Thanks Leon :)

Hello Ced. Looks good as usual. :goodjob: One question. Is this a downscaled version of the 1:48?. Looks something like that. Not my favorite scheme on that, but mine would be anyway a what if scheme. Something obscure like in an arctic viper scheme with fictive Greenland independance force markings ( Danish markings with a polar bear or a pinguine inside the white roundels or something like that and maybe a schark mouth) Cheers

Thanks Benedikt :) I don't know if it's downscaled... Biggles seems to think it is?

Hi Ced,

As usual you're a very fast builder (but no lack of attention to detail and care, though) and I only notice your threads when you're done or nearly done. This time I managed to get in before the end :)

I was very interested in seeing how your build developed, because Revell's was one of the possible kits to add a Eurofighter to my stash.It seems it's cursed with fit problems and gives a good fight, so I may have to consider the Hasegawa's. By the way, Hasegawa has a boxing with this BoB 75th Anniversary special scheme.

Anyway, you're making excellent progress and dealing admirably with all obstacles the kit throws your way! :goodjob:

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime, very kind :)

Very little progress today as I'm faced with lots of fiddly little bits and need to fill my patience tank. I did fit the pilot and test the canopy fit:

29591693986_319298881b_z.jpg

The pilot's a bit small and even shorter as I had to cut his legs off below the knee to get him in. Don't worry though - there aren't any rudder pedals in this kit anyway...

• Like 11

As I walked past the bench I thought I have some patience... so I used the 'Steve scraper' to sort out the airbrake problem mentioned by Chris in post #101.

29603396976_f2ca890b9e_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

That (and the seat problem) probably confirms this is the same design as the 1/48. The problem with the airbrake is that it's a tight fit laterally and the vertical 'hole' has flash around it and possibly isn't deep enough? The ninja scraper is great - just stroke it up the join and you can see the plastic shaving off. Press too hard and you'll dig in. You also need to be careful that the other 'arms' aren't scraping another part of the model. Ahem. Nothing a quick sanding won't cure.

I then thought I'd tackle the intake flap thingies.

29014358233_8436a7f72c_n.jpg 29557303231_ed299ea09c_n.jpg

Now then, of course a perfect modeller would have made sure that the intake separator was exactly in the middle and a perfect kit would have parts that were the same size. Unfortunately neither applies here. Those little pins on the flap fit in little holes inside the intake. Luckily the lower one, which is slightly wider, fits in the right hand intake which is also slightly wider. The left hand one isn't / doesn't:

29012458104_828e1c5e45_z.jpg

(All relative directions are as per the instructions with the model upside down). You might notice that the sidewall on the left is slightly inboard. Aha! If I push the part in then the sidewall will be pushed out flush - result! Future modellers note - this requires a force of 1.234 Newtons*; any more force and the part will ping into the fuselage and need to be rattled out again (ask me how I know).

After some cursing and dry fitting I decided to replace the parts with scratch built flaps using plasticard and some spare PE. Nah, just kidding (of course), I glued 'em in:

29638767155_d56ca2cc24_z.jpg

No patience left.

* I have no idea. Just don't push too hard.

• Like 17

You have to watch out for that seam monster of Simon's Ced, this looks a far more complex model than I will be tackling any other day

But of course CedB will breeze through it

eventually, usually with a Beaufort Strength 8 or 9 breeze

(I hope y'all seen wot I dun there, it were base punnery of the rankest kind. I do not want to have to do it again later for any that missed it)*

Glad a truncated driver can fit too, the canopy driver interface had me a bit worritted

nice work amigo

*Look no, I mean listen, he's just done a Beaufort so I slipped it in

Gently as a weak pun

Oh no, never mind carry on with your business

• Like 6

You cannot be to far off priming Ced?

Well masking first I suppose LOL.

Just hope that the seam monster does not rear its ugly head.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) Getting close... but seams do need to be addressed first. One of the nice things about the kit is that the top seam, behind the canopy, is covered so no effort there.

You have to watch out for that seam monster of Simon's Ced, this looks a far more complex model than I will be tackling any other day

But of course CedB will breeze through it

eventually, usually with a Beaufort Strength 8 or 9 breeze

(I hope y'all seen wot I dun there, it were base punnery of the rankest kind. I do not want to have to do it again later for any that missed it)*

Glad a truncated driver can fit too, the canopy driver interface had me a bit worritted

nice work amigo

*Look no, I mean listen, he's just done a Beaufort so I slipped it in

Gently as a weak pun

Oh no, never mind carry on with your business

Thanks Bill - very punny, I like it :D

Ced - this thread is a joy :)

Agreed 100%! :D

Ciao

Thanks Steve and Giorgio, very kind and especially appreciated coming from you two!

It looks like you've sorted out the intake(s), I presume I will have similar problems with my 1/48 version, we shall see.

John

Thanks John :) I think you might need to take a bit more care at that scale but I hope the parts are better...

I've stuck on some of the tiny bits and blobbed some Tamiya clear green on the gun sight thingy after seeing a great photo which I can't find again (doh):

29540373422_b8bc27cb44_z.jpg

That photo made me realise I haven't applied two decals to the side of the seat. Doh again!

Just gathering my masking mojo for the inside of the canopy ready for this step:

29026991193_a3ba097a06_z.jpg

Nice to see that the 'demarcation lines' for the plastic part are so well defined so that one can decide whether to stick it in before painting the canopy or afterwards in the hope you get the line right.

That was irony. Bit like an iron.

• Like 9

Found it!

https://flic.kr/p/GN2U2S

© Dave Chapman - I'll remove the link if requested.

This brings up a question which I'd like some help with. Stu told me here that the nose and other 'light grey' areas are unpainted and I've got out a tin of H127 Satin enamel to do those bits (hand brushed).

Question: How do I get this in the seams, like on the leading/trailing edges? Thin it and use it as a wash? Buy a proper wash?

Any advice gratefully received! (Anyone who suggest masking will be dealt with! :fight: )

Edit: Just looked at my response to Stu's post and I said I'd use Mr Color 'Greyish Blue' H337 for the unpainted bits. Thin this and wash it?

• Like 2

Found it!

https://flic.kr/p/GN2U2S

© Dave Chapman - I'll remove the link if requested.

This brings up a question which I'd like some help with. Stu told me here that the nose and other 'light grey' areas are unpainted and I've got out a tin of H127 Satin enamel to do those bits (hand brushed).

Question: How do I get this in the seams, like on the leading/trailing edges? Thin it and use it as a wash? Buy a proper wash?

Any advice gratefully received! (Anyone who suggest masking will be dealt with! :fight: )

Edit: Just looked at my response to Stu's post and I said I'd use Mr Color 'Greyish Blue' H337 for the unpainted bits. Thin this and wash it?

From that pic, it looks like the grey area is more than just the seams. I'd go with masking and spraying, after the camo job. My :2c:

Ciao

• Like 1

Mas... Oh shoot. Nevermind.

Looks like you have been most productive again Ced, How do you manage to fit so many in? I suppose with those big cubes you just simply show up and get to work.

I am really looking forward to seeing it all dressed up with colours, and of course I assume that Revell has provided an extensive decal set? I love them stencils. When I was younger I wasn't too bothered with the details, I wanted to rush in and git'er'done. But now I find as I mature (finally, sort of) that I relish the challenge to placing all the tiny stencils with sweat on brow and bomb-tech patience.

• Like 2

Sorry Ced, I somehow missed this bit when reading your question (honest!) - which in turns leaves me without any good suggestions :(

Ciao

• Like 1

Er, thanks Giorgio, Jeffers and Leon, there will be beatings as promised!

Thanks Benedikt - I think you might be right... just do the edges and shout 'everything is closed up on the seams' :)

Jeffers: "I relish the challenge to placing all the tiny stencils with sweat on brow and bomb-tech patience." There are thousands of the little blighters, including (presumably because of the new Health and Safety rules) forty odd, yes FORTY, 'No Step' stencils. What's wrong with these people? Don't they know you can't dance on aircraft?

I have masked the canopies and painted the black inside:

29578291801_08b5fa3e33_z.jpg

Forum down tomorrow so no more pics until Thursday...

• Like 4

Thanks Giorgio :) It's not the edges I was worried about but the seams along the spoilers and elevons. :shutup:

Now that Benedikt has suggested ignoring that problem I'm happier to mask...

Thanks Simon :)

• Like 1