Eurofighter Typhoon - BoB 75th Anniversary - Revell 1/72

CedB

Hi Cookie and John - welcome and glad to have you along :)

Busy today, what with work, Apple Event (oooh, Air buds, lust lust), THE Trial and Bake Off but I had some time to prepare the pilot, who seems to have a nasty case of boils:

29418731302_0c703232b0_z.jpg

I guess someone started the injection machine before the granules were fully melted. Cleaned up, a bit of surgery and the base coat's on:

29239899710_18fd6de7c0_z.jpg

Just like that, a har har har (Tommy Cooper impression? Oh well, suit yourselves)

The mystery of the Bf110 has been solved - Beard sent it to me. What a kind man he is and I will build that next as promised.

• Like 6

And now you are building jets? Not even a WWII one (but WWII markings). Wow.

Recently got done following a decent build of the Airfix kit of this in the same markings over on UAMF. Link incase you are curious. http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11877

No prop to worry about on this one.

• Like 1

Thanks Chris - that makes two of us! Although I do like its 'smiley face' (where is that photo!) :)

Thanks Phil :) I'm only straying from WWII Europe for 'specials' and it's the BoB connection that's done it for me... and seeing it with PC and Jon during our Duxford trip. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible!

• Like 1

I've just spent far too much time looking for that photo but it's like, but not quite, this one I found by Andrew Marsh on Flickr:

7889395514_05f2dbe4a5_z.jpg

Eurofighter Typhoon by Andrew Marsh, on Flickr

(I will of course remove the link if requested)

One problem with ageing is that it's easy to convince yourself you're going mad because you think you remember something, like this, and find it in a search:

29427155822_286d3bfaf0_b.jpg

and then when you click the link, BM says 'Sorry we can't find that'! What's going on? I even did a search through Lightningboy2000's content but it's gone!

Perhaps I am going mad...

• Like 4

I've never noticed the smiley face thing before... Now I can't help but think that it looks like something out of a children's program. not what you want from a front line combat aircraft....

"Whoosh" said Timmy Tyhpoon as he waved bye bye Peter Paveway.... (Think of Ringo Starr's accent when you read...)..

I've finally lost it....

(Edit two 'r's in Starr!)

Edited by Leonl
  • Like 6

Proper aeroplanes now

None of those grumblymumbly noises I grew up hearing

Popcorn please...

Hi Bill :) What? Where? What this new thing that's called a Typhoon but isn't, really? :hmmm:

It is growing on me but still not 'proper' IMHO. To press home my point (oooh missus) try doing 'the noise' of this (or any other jet) and then do the 'Merlin noise'. I rest my case.

I have this photo, looks kinda smiley?

This one?

19500921254_41b42666dd_b_zpsirypfnjg.jpg

Thanks all.

Debs got closest IMHO to the one I'd seen before which was 'nose on' and looking up to get the best effect from the remove before flight 'lips'. Close enough to stop my searching though - thanks. What are those things covering up by the way?

Oooh look, there's one of those vent thingies that Steve made the tool for... luckily it's nicely moulded on the kit (I just rushed off to look).

I've never noticed the smiley face thing before... Now I can't help but think that it looks like something out of a children's program. not what you want from a front line combat aircraft....

"Whoosh" said Timmy Tyhpoon as he waved bye bye Peter Paveway.... (Think of Ringo Starr's accent when you read...)..

I've finally lost it....

(Edit two 'r's in Starr!)

Thanks Leon :) I think you're right, and that's probably why most pictures have the 'lips' missing. I guess some top brass said "For goodness sake take those things out before they go out of the hanger - makes them look far too friendly"

Looking forward to following this build CedB, a shame ZX349/GiNA has now been stood down from the display team, but this is one in the build pile (to be paired with PRXIX PM631)

Thanks Mutley and welcome :)

I'm a bit late to the party but may I join-in?

Of course Simon, wouldn't be the same without you! :)

Another day short of time... I will get on with it soon, honestly!

• Like 4

Hi Bill :) What? Where? What this new thing that's called a Typhoon but isn't, really? :hmmm:

It is growing on me but still not 'proper' IMHO. To press home my point (oooh missus) try doing 'the noise' of this (or any other jet) and then do the 'Merlin noise'. I rest my case.

stly!

"Jet noise - the sound of freedom"

Who can resist the sound of a merlin engine? Not me that's for sure. But the Merlin sounds beautiful and lyrical and it's hard now to imagine it as the cutting edge of military hardware.

A big turbofan in full afterburner tho'. Well that's something else. Nothing beautiful about the noise (although it looks gorgeous - especially at night) but it spits and howls and shatters your senses and leaves you in no doubt that its a dangerous beast designed to do much harm and with extreme prejudice :)

Oooh look, there's one of those vent thingies that Steve made the tool for... luckily it's nicely moulded on the kit (I just rushed off to look).

Look harder Ced. I bet there's at least one that's been missed off :)

• Like 4

"Look harder Ced. I bet there's at least one that's been missed off..." Sorry Steve, my eyes seem to have suddenly gone all blurry... I'm not ready for your level of modelling, nowhere near :worthy:

• Like 2

"Jet noise - the sound of freedom"

Who can resist the sound of a merlin engine? Not me that's for sure. But the Merlin sounds beautiful and lyrical and it's hard now to imagine it as the cutting edge of military hardware.

Living close to the Wash Weapons Area (and not that far from Coningsby neither) we regularly get the Typhoons over here, as well as the Tornadoes from Marham, and the Strike Eagles from Lakenheath.

When you get a pair doing ACM (especially the Typhoons they are loud) overhead it's awesome. Most of my neighbours complain, I just smile and point out that they dont have red stars on them.

It's not a patch on the old days when we had an Air Force though...

• Like 5

Living close to the Wash Weapons Area (and not that far from Coningsby neither) we regularly get the Typhons over here, as well as the Tornadoes from Marham, and the Strike Eagles from Lakenheath.

When you get a pair doing ACM (especially the Typhoons they are loud) overhead it's awesome. Most of my neighbours complain, I just smile and point out that they dont have red stars on them.

It's not a patch on the old days when we had an Air Force though...

I grew up with tornados, then f1-11 and finally Harriers, the Harriers were the noisiest flying...watching (feeling) the Tornados do engine tests was something else...

• Like 1

Thanks Debs, Simon and R159 - I'm still with (lucky) Chris though and prefer hairs on my neck to fingers in my ears... chacun à son goût as they say in Spain :)

Thanks Charlie - never too late and that's a great shot. That must have had the top brass fuming... "For goodness sake you lot, this is a front line, deadly weapon. STOP making it look funny!"

In other news there's a kit being built somewhere. I've been through the parts for the 'parts on sticks' method and found that, as I'm building wheels up, there's only really three groups - exhausts, cockpit and not cockpit. I've decided to paint the cockpit parts by hand and they've been cut off ready for assembly and dry fitting to the fuselage to test PC's seat / canopy issue.

We went to see Rich Hall last night so it'll be some time until my aching sides recover. I was going to include a YouTube video here but it's too hard to choose. Funny man :rofl:

• Like 2

Those photos remind me of the C-130 cartoons that used to go the rounds, DEBs i am sure will remember them, that gave the C130 a rather cuddly expression. Also being near Beverley we regularly get Typhoons "tail chasing" an cloud hopping, and you are right they are noisey!

Best thing recently was being out on my push bike up on the top of the Wolds and being buzzed by a Tonka out of Marham.

• Like 1

We went to see Rich Hall last night so it'll be some time until my aching sides recover. I was going to include a YouTube video here but it's too hard to choose. Funny man :rofl:

I hope Otis Lee Crenshaw made an appearance.

• Like 2

Thanks BlanketStacker :)

I hope Otis Lee Crenshaw made an appearance.

:D Not in person, but he did do the 'Johnny Cash' and Country Music skit. Watching Otis on youTube now but too rude to link!

Seat. Nervous. Be careful says PC... the flash doesn't help but the 'intended shape' is pretty obvious from the back:

29559186955_afa2218371_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

There's a locating pin on the upright bit, an ejector mark (groan, chiselled off) and a step that dry fitting show should 'hold up' the seat:

28933901164_057c3e01d6_n.jpg 29269362810_64b80542aa_n.jpg

but it doesn't sit well. Application of TET and pressure settled it down.

Now I need to decide whether the transfers for the panels (which are nice) will settle on the raised detail or whether it needs to be removed:

28936585393_257fc76567_c.jpg

Thoughts? I need to decide before painting...

• Like 9

Well my thoughts

Paint as you would any way

Then apply a liberal (nb this is likly to be my ONLY foray into liberality) drop of Future/Clear/Klear onto each 'glass' panel

When almost dry add a small drop more and put the transfer onto the screen

Breathe

• Like 1