Pocher Volvo F12 Build

rjfk2002

Intro...

After hinting at it in my Bugatti build thread, I decided to create a new one for the Volvo. This was supposed to be a brief detour to sharpen up my painting skills but instead I fell down the rabbit hole and now have two big builds going on

36708696591_40080bd931_c.jpg

I would describe the kit as a hybrid between the Pocher classics and the diecast Ferrari's. Like the classic kits many of the parts go together with scale fasteners, the suspension is built leaf by leaf and parts don't fit out of the box. The engine however is like the Ferrari - big, low detail plastic parts with no working internals but room for improvement.

Over the coming days I'll start to post more of the WIP

Rich

Edited by rjfk2002
  • Like 2

Let me be the first to welcome yet ANOTHER Pocher go-together to the board! This one will appeal to the truck guys as well as the big scale nuts. And I think there are a lot of closet ruck guys here.

NO matter, there will be plenty to learn from your build Rich. Thanks for sharing. Even better than just this; is the big Bugatti waiting on your shelf....! :Tasty:

I look forward to seeing the big engine and level of detail of this model.

Very good idea to share this building, Rich.

I stay tuned on this thread

Edited by CrazyCrank

Thanks guys. Unfortunately there is no truth in advertising. There are no drapes in the box!!! I haven't decided if I will be adding to my build or not hahah

The truck is a beast. I will post some pics with the Bugatti eventually to show you the scale.

Prepping the Frame

The kit had been started by the prior owner, so there was some work that had to be undone. The frame had been sprayed grey with no attempt to clean up any problems in the part. There are some pretty large injector pin marks and sprue scars that I wanted to clean up. Plus I want the frame to be black. I decided to follow the lead of builders like Roy and Cato and use automotive paint for the frame. I choose a shade of Duplicolor black and stocked up on their primer.

The pic below shows the frame as it originally looked. It is two large plastic rails with some metal cross beams and a plastic cap on the end. The Bugatti body gives a sense for the scale of the Volvo. The finished truck will be a beast

36848137975_4340fe73cb_c.jpg

Getting that grey paint off proved to be a challenge. All those details along the side are molded into the part so a quick sand job wouldn't cut it. At first I tried the path of least resistance and tested the Duplicolor over the existing paint on a corner. The new paint interacted with the old and caused it to crackle. The gray paint had to come off. It took me a few tries to find the right stripping solution. Paint thinner, lacquer thinner and rubbing alcohol didn't work. Nail polish remover will eat plastic. I finally struck gold with the purple super clean stuff (fka Castrol's super clean). Applying the super clean was a bit of a mess as the part was too big to just soak in it. I had to spray sections of the part in the sink and slowly work down the length of it. Took the better of a day, but eventually I had a paint free frame.

Once cleaned up I started to fill in sink holes and pin marks where I could. There were a few pretty deep (2-3 mm) pin marks that were puttied up. If I were to do it again I'd try to use a hole punch on a styrene sheet to create some plugs instead (not my idea, but one I read on this forum). A few of the pin marks were right in the middle of the molded details. I decide to let those stay for fear of damaging the details. Frankly none of this will be visible once all the various sub-assemblies are bolted onto the frame. Here is a pic of the in process frame. My putty technique is still in process so you can see where I had to sand it down after priming to fix.

36451934090_40a22723fb_c.jpg

Edited by rjfk2002
  • Like 2

This will be a very enjoyable build to watch....

This won't help you....unless it's available in the USA....but for us 'Brits' it is a godsend...although I have not heard it mentioned outside the figure arena...."Dettol" (the dark brown one)...it's an antiseptic!

Simply soak the parts or part in a sealed container over night...doesn't matter if their plastic/resin/metal....much less harsh to people than brake fluid/oven cleaner/stripper etc. ....and the smell is cleaner too.

Ron

Or some Jameson!

Dettol? Hmmm I'll have to keep an eye out of for it.

Looking ahead in the instructions I can see that there is a fuel tank that is attached with metal straps. As I learned with the Bugatti, one has to be careful with the straps as they will easily scrape up the paint on the tank. The green arrows below attempt to show how the strap hooks around the tank. I may try to bevel the edges and apply tape to the back of the strap to protect the paint. I'm curious how others have tackled this in their builds and open to any suggestions

36451939160_b17d795f2b_c.jpg

Edited by rjfk2002

Or some Jameson!

. I'm curious how others have tackled this in their builds and open to any suggestions

Fuel%20Straps_zpsajiji9wl.jpg

Personally I encountered this problem because I hadn't thought before of the trick that offers Wayne.

I decided, once the tank strapped and the paint ruined, to spray an ultimate coat of white aluminium after having masked all the parts to protect...

It took me near half a day to mask correctly the chassis and then less than 5 minutes to repair the paint.

But it has been worth it as you need Eagle eyes to notice it!

Edited by CrazyCrank

Morning chaps :bye:

WOW... this brings back some memories :analintruder:

Rich, a natty trick i was shown, for the straps.

Use black insulation tape on the areas of the strap that touch the tank. Cut it to 1/2 - 3/4 the width of the strap and stick it on the backside of the strap, making sure to rub it down well.

Insulation tape is just thick enough to lift the strap away from the surface of the tank, without it being really noticeable.

Hope this helps

:ninja: Mad Steve :ninja:

Agree on the Dettol tip, be it that there are several Dettol products. You need the 'chloroxylenol' one, 48 mg/ml.

This is going to be a very interesting build, one I'll definitely follow. And the truck may be huge, I agree, but that Bugatti can't be too small a car either by the look of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Fun with Primer...

The two rails that make up the frame are about 2 feet long and proved to be challenging to paint.  I tried to rig up the pieces by taping to wood skewers and sticking it in a large piece of foam.  You can see how nicely it looks in the pic below...  Unfortunately the frame stayed like that for all of 5 minutes before sliding right down the skewers.  The part just weighted too much.  I used blue painting tape as it tends not to leave a sticky residue like some masking tapes but it clearly wasn't strong enough.  After a while I ended up grabbing one end and spraying the other - not a particularly elegant solution and probably not conducive in the long run to nice concourse-style paint jobs.  I am curious how some others have tackled painting giant parts like this.  Do you rig it up in a similar fashion except with more tape and support?  

36709055531_5f465eaa60_c.jpg

Edited by rjfk2002