Eduard 1/48 Mig-21 SMT in far east/desert setting

Hello all

This build started in 2012 I believe and was the first project I airbrushed freehand without any masks at all. My goal was trying to depict a Mig that was stationed in a desert setting, like in Uzbekistan, with a slightly weathered look. So the two top base colours are Gunze H27 Tan and H72 Dark Earth mixed with white in different proportions. Apart from the pitot tube, from Mr B IIRC, everything is OOB. I also opted for the incorrect black stencils since I thought it would look better on this bird. Much has been said already about this kit, but these stencils were absolutely faboulous. No silvering at all. I'm probably going to tone down the national insignias more to reduce the contrast. The decals were applied over Alclads Aqua Klear Kote Gloss which is my favourite brand. And If you take a closer look at the nose you might notice it ain't as sharp as it should be. I managed to drop the kit on the floor, nose first!

The figure is from Aerobonus and is the best one I've experienced with the level of detail it has. Tarmac is made of sheet styrene placed over a photo frame.

Anyhow, here's the pics and thanks for taking your time reading this far :) Hope you like them.

Best regards

Göran

29418540781_96b52cb4ed_b.jpg

29211779360_26b19aff32_b.jpg

28876724004_cf24dfd23c_b.jpg

29429983081_8dd5d08941_b.jpg

29497745475_ffb701889c_b.jpg

• Like 46

Beautiful paint job.

Is that scheme from the kit or a decal sheet?

James

First of all thanks for all the kind comments :)

To answer your question Franky Boy, neither. But if you go to Eduards home page and download the pdf-file for their kit no 8231, the Mig-21 MF, which I beleive was the first to hit the market, you see a similar paint pattern in option E, MiG-21SM, 812th UAP, Kharkov. I used that as general guide but didn't use the recommended top colours Mid Stone or Green. I also applied a more greyish undersite, but I have forgot the paint number. Hope this is of some help :)

Best regards

Göran

• Like 1