Marineflieger, 1985 (F-104G+Tornado).

Thanks guys!

Was great watching the 104s go together and the end results aint too bad either. ;)

Likewise the Tornado detail at dinky scale... brilliant work there indeed, possibly more impressive than the 104s to be fair.

The size difference of th 32s and 72s is quite amusing!

Whats next?

Yeah it was a little wakeup call going from 1/32 to 1/72, I'm trying to stay in the bigger scales from now on as I think 1/72 is tiring my eyes a little. The 1/32 Starfighters look big in the photo but they are not really that big albeit quite long, I compared it them with a 1/32 Tornado and it starts dwarfing all of those, god knows what a 1/32 Su-27 is like! Next, a break for a while , though already planning some Mirage builds for the future :)

Great serie of F-104's I like the black and white pictures.looks like the real thing in B/W.

Jan Remco

Thanks Jan, glad you like them!

Stunning builds

Thanks Col!

Cheers,

David

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi. Brilliant models! Just one question. I tried very hard but could not actually see where you said which 1/72 Tornado you used? I saw the "grafting on the old airfoil nose", but couldn't see what to? Sorry if I missed it!

Thanks

Terry

• Like 1

Wonderful work - flawless.

Fond memories of the Vikings at Fairford, one doing a low, slow pass with everything dangling & the other blasting at almost supersonic speed underneath it. Took everyone by surprise.

Pete

• Like 1

Thank you Pete and Terry! 

Pete I missed these at the airshows (think my first was the late nineties) but hopefully I'll get to see that Norweigian CF-104D next year! Awesome aircraft.

Terry, yes I seemed to miss mentioning that it is the Revell 1/72 ECR kit. The ECR kit gives you the correct pylons for the Kormoran missiles in this scale, seemingly 99% the same as the HARM launchers. Everything front of the windscreen is the old Airfix Tornado nose section as I think it captures the shape better (my ditched resin nose replacement was crap), ideally though the older PP Aeroparts/flightpath nose is still the best replacement nose in this scale imho.

cheers, 

David.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

Thanks David.

I've put off doing a Tornado due to various shape and quality issues (I'm a bit of a perfectionist!) but I think your combination sounds the way to go and the model certainly looks the part. btw I recall those Vikings at Fairford long ago also, and they were awesome. I also have great memories of a Belgian and on a separate occasion a Dutch Straighter at Biggin Hill during the seventies. Those were the days :rolleyes:

Regards

Terry

• Like 1

Excellent workmanship - you have the start of a stunning collection of Marineflieger subjects. Subtle shading and fading of the upper surfaces is really well done - I think you've mastered that technique. Can't wait to see the additions to this collection as you build them. :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Thank you fellas :lol:, think I lucked out a bit on these tbh!

Terry, just one problem (bar the nose) that deserves a mention on the RoG 1/72 Tornado series is that later boxings such as the ECR kit I used, the canopies seem to be very poor in many boxes, the picutres in my post manage to largely negate the issue but I would recommend trying to get hold of the very early (late 90's) IDS boxings of this kit as from my experience they have the best quality of plastic and the clear parts are indeed clear and not full of flaws like the later ones. No aftermarket vac-form canopy is available for this kit AFAIK

Cheers,

David.