Marineflieger, 1985 (F-104G+Tornado).

:wow: Stunning work David with lovely photography and thank you for the information if mine turns out half as good I will be very pleased !

Guy

Edited by F4u
  • Like 2

Thank you all so much for the kind words, always makes it that more fun posting models on here when people are as encouraging as this, top stuff guys! If they do inspire any more F-104s that would be awesome!

Seeing these models again reminded me how amazing they were. Wonderful work :goodjob:

The main benefit of being a GB moderator is knowing you've facilitated a situation that has inspired someone to build a particular model they've either had planned for a long time or suddenly decided to tackle; either way it's great to see the gang enjoying our hobby and creating works of art such as these. Thank you for taking part David. If you choose to participate in the 70s edition and hopefully after that a 60s follow-up I'd be delighted to watch more Marineflieger subjects being created.

Thank you and my pleasure Col, no idea which subjects I would choose for those GBs but count me in!

fantastic looking builds, both the starfighters and tornado look great, love the helmets on the Tonka just adds that little bit extra, may I ask who makes them????

but great job on the scheme and finishes on all of them and great little collection

Cheers Barcode, the Helmets I think were from the Hasegawa or Revell ground crew/pilot set. They were loose in my spares box so not sure exactly which one but both have a few, IIRC Hasegawa's are more crisply done. You can always 'hollow' out the head from a pilot figure's helmet (shudders typing that) like I did on the 1/32 helmet. :)

Those F-104's in 32nd scale look so realistic in a few of those shots I thought they were reference photos!

You really do a good job of getting a realistic looking aircraft, the weathering is subtle in places but the aged paintwork is spot on to my eye.

I also have several of the Braz resin noses for the tornado's in 72nd and I've just had a look at mine, they appear to be perfect. Personally I find the SBS models noses to be better, they have a brass pitot tube that comes with them as well.

Rich

Thanks Rich, glad to know (I guess :winkgrin: ) it was just my nose! I looked at some images of the SBS one with the pilot tube and I agree it does look good, probably my last 1/72 Tornado for the foreseeable future anyways, luckily the noses on the bigger kits seem much better.

Of course I kept a look in at your Group build but this is amazing work David!

The collection of your MFG subjects is inspirational - awesome

Thank you Gary, I've been looking at your gallery again and that twin stick Mirage (as everything else!) is something special, thinking of trying a Mirage IIIBS after seeing that. The Heller kit looks like a bit of work but the shape looks spot on.

This is really good !!! Very good! This weathering looks very tealistic. My cudos!! Can You Tell something about it please?

:cowboy:
Andy

Hello Andy and thank you. I feel odd explaining what I have done regarding weathering considering I just 'wing it'/make it up as I go but everything was copied from seeing many builds on here. First thing I do is have some pictures of the aircraft to build and copy it as much as I can, hopefully it then looks like it should when finished and not a text book weathering method but whatever appropriate for the subject, for example the odd 'stripes' weathering on the leading edge slats was noticeable in many pictures. In this order I:

-Apply the main camo colour solid as a base

-Lots of patches and wiggles from very darkened and lightened (almost back and white) base colour to break up the surface

-Apply another thin main camo colour to blend in, whatever takes your fancy here.

-Then more post shading with various shades to break it up more according to the real images.

-Gloss layer

-decals

-Spay over the most noticeable markings with very thin base colour to tone them down

-Do some more weathering where needed with the airbrush, exhausts stains etc..

-Oil wash and streaking thinned with Xtracolor thinner

-FInal matt/satin varnish to cover. I try to vary it so some bits appear more matt, others more gloss depending on the aircraft. These particular F-104Gs had a variable finish around the airframe, probably due to the harsh Baltic weather!

-Hopefully then it should look ok, I couldn't do more than that (salt weathering etc..), too impatient! :)

:wow: Stunning work David with lovely photography and thank you for the information if mine turns out half as good I will be very pleased !

Guy

Thanks Guy, I'm sure you will nail it, look forward to seeing it when all is done! :)

cheers,

David.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 2

Hello,David - My full compliments to you on all your magnificent builds on display here.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work throughout.A great theme and even greater models.I love them. ;) All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

:yikes::thumbsup:

Beautiful stuff. Especially the row of Vikings is a marvel to behold. Superb ejection seats. Exemplary weathering. The base you've used works well (roof if I remember correctly? :D ) Also very nice photography.

Regarding the subject - there's something about the Marineflieger that always grabs attention.

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat
  • Like 1

Thank you guys!

Hello,David - My full compliments to you on all your magnificent builds on display here.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work throughout.A great theme and even greater models.I love them. ;) All the best,Paul.

Cheers Paul, I look forward to your F-102 RFI thread!

:yikes::thumbsup:

Beautiful stuff. Especially the row of Vikings is a marvel to behold. Superb ejection seats. Exemplary weathering. The base you've used works well (roof if I remember correctly? :D ) Also very nice photography.

Regarding the subject - there's something about the Marineflieger that always grabs attention.

Jay

Thanks and yes you are correct, I agree, I think the Marineflieger have some of the best Cold War schemes.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

Hello,David - Thank you so much for your very kind message.After seeing your magnificent builds I'm feeling a little nervous about my 'Delta Dagger'.?! Once again,your 'Marineflieger Tribute' is absolutely superb and of a finishing quality I find aspirational.;) All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Hi David,

I am a big fan of the 104 and of the simple MFG scheme in general. But really, 4 F-104 and 1 Tornado on the same post, you really killed me :thumbsup:

I really like the grayish-blue you used on the 1/32 Starf. What reference (or recipe) did you use?

Cheers,

Toni

• Like 1

Paul your models are always inspiring for me too! :)

Hi Tony, thank you and the colour IIRC was a mix of Revell 77, 378 and 79, maybe 1/3 each in the mix. I found it hard to get the colour as in different photos it looked either a dark grey or in others quite a strong blue hue , so I settled on a picture and tried to mix it to that. This is a compromise which looks quite grey in most circumstances but in bright light appears with this blue-grey hue. Revell say 77 is RAL7012 Basaltgrau, but imho it isn't representative of this colour and does need some blue adding!

Cheers,

David

Was great watching the 104s go together and the end results aint too bad either. ;)

Likewise the Tornado detail at dinky scale... brilliant work there indeed, possibly more impressive than the 104s to be fair.

The size difference of th 32s and 72s is quite amusing!

Whats next?

• Like 1