1/48 Revell Typhoon FGR4, No. 3 Sqn

Here are some photos of my recently completed Revell Typhoon dressed up in the livery of the RAF's No. 3 Squadron based at RAF Coningsby. The build was quite a challenge as the kit's quality was not up to the same standards as Revell's previous F-15E and Rafale kits.

This was a fully OOB build. Painted with Gunze lacquers and weathered with Tamiya enamels and some pastel chalk.

Hope you enjoy the photos!

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

Mark

• Like 44

nice work on what I found is not a great kit and showing its age!!!! but great job on the scheme and finish....

"Showing its age" - the kit is nine years old!

The Revell Tiff has always been a pain to build. It's an up-scale of their 1/72 twin-seat kit (so the fuselage panel lines around the cockpit are incorrect out of the box) but with some patience and strong language it can be made into something really nice. This one is great, good job!

A hint for anyone else thinking of building one of these - the Revell decal placement instructions for some of the missiles (especially ASRAAM) and some of the stencils are very wrong. Find some good quality references of the real thing and go from that.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Very nice! Got this kit to build, how well does it go together?

Not good at all. Molding was soft in some places, the fitting of the intake almost gave me fits, decal numbers were not in sync with the placement instructions, landing gear doors had no attachment points and the canopy is not hinged and propped up by one tiny plastic rod.

Unfortunately it is the only viable kit of the Typhoon in 1/48 on the market. I doubt I will be building another one in the near future.

Mark

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Not good at all. Molding was soft in some places, the fitting of the intake almost gave me fits, decal numbers were not in sync with the placement instructions, landing gear doors had no attachment points and the canopy is not hinged and propped up by one tiny plastic rod.

Unfortunately it is the only viable kit of the Typhoon in 1/48 on the market. I doubt I will be building another one in the near future.

Mark

Uh oh! Thanks for the heads up! Not looking forward to making mine then! I have heard about the intakes being very stressful, i might see if there is some aftermarket seamless intakes floating about.

I'll be happy for mine to come out half as good as yours!

Nice build and paint job.

I started one of these last year and decided it would be best done in small stages between other projects. I also bought the Olimp intake set and was not impressed, it's not cheap and I couldn't figure out the instructions ( perhaps it's just me ) so I probably won't use it and just make some FOQD covers.

John