1/72nd Special Hobby P-40F (or L), USAAF or French or both?

Cheers Cliff,.........here is another quick update,.....the first coat of Dark Earth has gone onto the desert camouflaged models;

DSCF8793_zpsh28dv1v9.jpg

I`m still looking for an interesting French scheme for my short tailed P-40F,......the long tails have the unit insignia!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 8

Haha,.....Giorgio,.... me too,...I ordered another one myself,.....sorry mate but you will enjoy them I promise!!!

I quite like Lola myself,....... I`m still researching some suitable short tailed P-40F`s and I think I have found a pic of Lola too,..... I`m still pondering yet!!

Back to the models.....I have just applied the decals to Sqn. Ldr. Eaton`s 3 Sqn RAAF Kittyhawk II but can you spot the mistake with the Xtradecal decals?;

DSCF8827_zpsjaxxhrv0.jpg

And a closer look,......the photo on the left hand side shows Eaton alongside the tail of his aircraft and the chequers can just be made out;

DSCF8828_zpspehj71l6.jpg

HUM,.....yup a bit of a problem there!!! Looking closely at the photo the chequers on the real aircraft do seem to be a bit smaller than those on the decal sheet and I had a Microscale chequered sheet in stock so decided to use this instead,....... now they might be a little bit small but they are not too far off and at least I could now cover the whole tail!

DSCF8829_zpsonli55vt.jpg

OK,.....I snapped one of the stabilisers off,.....but that will go back on easily enough!!

I also had to find some suitable fin flashes in the spares box as those from the decals were too small! 

Here is the photo of the real aircraft`s tail to show the chequers and the size of the fin flash;

1c-Brian%20Eaton%20CV-V%20FS490%20Tail%2

So thats it for tonight,

All the best

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I love Lola!  :wub:

p_40f_lola.jpg

Hiya Sarg,.....I think that this is the same Lola;

kittyhawk%20french%20stripe_zpsnciz8knb.

And maybe this one too?

kittyhawk%20french_zpslx6nsdbn.jpg

I `d quite like to find a short tail P-40F with this unit insignia;

kittyhawk%20P40_11_blanc_03_zpsk7nxqa7i.

I quite like this artwork but have not found a photo yet;

kittyhawk%20p-40f-warhawk-gc-ii5-la-faye

And this sheet looks good,....but is quite expensive and hard to get hold of;

kittyhawk%20s-l1600_zpslivp1q71.jpg

So the French aircraft is still up in the air yet,......I wish that I had a long tailed aircraft as these appear to have the best schemes!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

Hello Tony,

I have just caught up with this set of builds.

Smashing stuff :thumbsup: !

The smaller chequer markings look great, the Kittyhawk is a superb subject in RAAF service. Then again I'm slightly biased ;) .

Lola does look very nice for a French subject.

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Hiya Fellas,.....haha, cheers for the kind comments and thanks for the photo Patrice,.......unfortunately the name would be beyond me but I love the subject and it will come in handy as a great reference.

Having weighed up which decals I have available for the French P-40,.......I have gone for 41014349 `Madcot',......coded 13 of GC/5 `La Fayette flown by Commandant Kostia Rozaoff. This is the third option on the decal instructions which were posted earlier and most of the decals for this one are provided in the Special Hobby kit,...... so all I need to change/find are the last three of the serial as the Special Hobby decal option is a long tailed P-40F-20, 41-142891,..... which was probably a replacement for the earlier short tail.

Cheers for your encouragement and help fella`s,

Tony  

Cheers Rob,.....I`ve already done Eaton`s Kittyhawk and also his Mustang in 1/48th,......although I go the chequers on the Kitty wrong by putting them on diagonally,.....dohh!! 

DSCF2544_NEW_zps97whorwv.jpg

mustand%20bae-eaton-48th_zpsc6ts21eg.jpg

He was an interesting bloke,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

Looking good Tony, very good.

The Mustang looks very nice too.

I can see myself building a lot more MTO subjects after this GB has finished as there have been some exceptionally inspiring builds on here. I am currently having to fight the temptation to start a P-40 as I don't think I will finish it in time.

Craig.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Looking good Tony, very good.

The Mustang looks very nice too.

I can see myself building a lot more MTO subjects after this GB has finished as there have been some exceptionally inspiring builds on here. I am currently having to fight the temptation to start a P-40 as I don't think I will finish it in time.

Craig.

Good evening Craig

I remind you that this Gb ends on December 25 so you still have plenty of time to start and finish a P40 ...

Patrice

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening Craig

I remind you that this Gb ends on December 25 so you still have plenty of time to start and finish a P40 ...

Patrice

Very true Patrice but I already have 2 I am building for the GB and a Cobra for the Huey GB which finishes in November.

If I finish the Spit (very likely as I've already started painting) and the Cobra (less likely) then I promise I will start a P-40, or a French P-39 ;).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tonyot said:

Cheers Rob,.....I`ve already done Eaton`s Kittyhawk and also his Mustang in 1/48th,......although I go the chequers on the Kitty wrong by putting them on diagonally,.....dohh!! 

DSCF2544_NEW_zps97whorwv.jpg

mustand%20bae-eaton-48th_zpsc6ts21eg.jpg

He was an interesting bloke,

Cheers

Tony

They are very nice Tony! I will have to get some info on the fella.

rob

• Like 1

10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very true Patrice but I already have 2 I am building for the GB and a Cobra for the Huey GB which finishes in November.

If I finish the Spit (very likely as I've already started painting) and the Cobra (less likely) then I promise I will start a P-40, or a French P-39 ;).

Good morning Craig

I know what you are facing that's why I try to avoid starting too much builds , the Mustang STGB will begin on October 8th it will be hard for me not to begin building one before I finish the Blenheim I started last week end ..

Regards

Patrice  

• Like 1

Thanks fella`s,........and come on Craig,.....a French P-39 would be brilliant!

A quick update,.....I have applied the third coat of Dark Earth to the desert schemed models (and hopefully the last!!) and the other one in Temperate colours flown by Sqn Ldr. Eaton has received a watercolour wash to help accentuate the panel lines,.....the tailplanes have been removed to paint their undersides yellow and apply more chequers here too;

DSCF8853_zpsexcntch8.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

8 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Craig

I know what you are facing that's why I try to avoid starting too much builds , the Mustang STGB will begin on October 8th it will be hard for me not to begin building one before I finish the Blenheim I started last week end ..

Regards

Patrice  

Tell me about it Patrice!

The Mustang is one  of my favourite aircraft and I would love to join in the STGB but I just don't think I can fit one in which is a shame.

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Thanks fella`s,........and come on Craig,.....a French P-39 would be brilliant!

A quick update,.....I have applied the third coat of Dark Earth to the desert schemed models (and hopefully the last!!) and the other one in Temperate colours flown by Sqn Ldr. Eaton has received a watercolour wash to help accentuate the panel lines,.....the tailplanes have been removed to paint their undersides yellow and apply more chequers here too;

DSCF8853_zpsexcntch8.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Nice work Tony.

The replacement chequers look much better than the kit ones, much more like the ones in the picture you found.

Craig.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Tell me about it Patrice!

The Mustang is one  of my favourite aircraft and I would love to join in the STGB but I just don't think I can fit one in which is a shame.

Nice work Tony.

The replacement chequers look much better than the kit ones, much more like the ones in the picture you found.

Craig.

Thanks Craig,.....that is very nice of you to say so,......you`ve put my mind at rest a bit too.

Tony 

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,....a quick update,.......I`ve finished painting the desert camouflage on these P-40/Kittyhawks,.......and added gloss varnish ready for the decals.

DSCF9018_zpsckxoomho.jpg

The French one still needs some Olive Drab patches added to cover the previous USAAF markings and codes;

DSCF9019_zpsxqqlufoj.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Well after quite a break here is an update on the desert painted Kittyhawks, now that the decals are applied;

This is `Skipper',......but unfortunately the Sky Decals sheet was missing the name `Skipper' from the right hand engine cowling,....even though the 1/48th scale sheet does include it!;

DSCF9111_zpstt82gmus.jpg

Next up is the French short tailed P-40F with Olive Drab painted over the previous USAAF markings and codes;

DSCF9113_zpsm2rwil5u.jpg

And last of all is the Hasegawa Kittyhawk Mk.Ia;

DSCF9114_zpswfnixq68.jpg

So they await a coat of matt varnish and some cleaning up,......I had some trouble with the colours on these models and the paintwork isn`t my best!

Cheers for now

Tony

• Like 8