1/72nd Special Hobby P-40F (or L), USAAF or French or both?

Hiya Folks,

We have to have plenty of P-40`s in this GB and I`d like to build one or two of the Merlin engined P-40F/L from Special Hobby. I have the double pack from Special Hobby plus the decals from the Chequertails release (which I built in RAAF markings!) and also the SKY Decals set so I should sort something out from this lot!

DSCF8526_zpsjxdcds9u.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

Cheers Patrice,......yes that is what I have decided upon,........I have actually dug out three Special Hobby kits and an old Hasegawa Kittyhawk kit,.....so we`ll see how I get on eh!! Today I`ve pre painted the parts on the sprue;

DSCF8541_zps5cwhwnnt.jpg

and I`ll weather the parts soon ready to start construction,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Been looking through my reference sources and as I have two long tail kits and one short tail kit to choose from here are my options;

long tail- USAAF `Skipper' ,..seen here being recovered from the sea;

mauritznove.jpg

I have some nice photos of the real aircraft in this magazine,.....still as it looked when it was recovered;

$(KGrHqZ,!pgE8W)GrrS4BPH-tt1!Vw~~60_1.JP

short tail- Free French,....not sure which unit yet;bell-p-39-limousin-navarre-travail-auver

long tail- (if I get around to it) Mk.IIa, FS490, CV-V, 3 Sqn RAAF, Sqn. Ldr, Brian Eaton;

D%20CV-V%20FS490.jpg

CV-V%20FS490%20a.jpg

CV-V%20FS490%20c.jpg

MEC0195.JPG

and the Hasegawa Kittyhawk Mk.Ia,.....if I manage it,....I`m thinking of this one, but with the red and white chequers on the fin too;

AK739-FZ-R-94SQDN.jpg

This sheet below should come in useful for most of these!!

skymodels-72058-curtiss-p-40-all-version

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 6

A bit of an update with some progress today;

DSCF8559_zpsny3ojtjg.jpg

DSCF8560_zpsjrmsjavr.jpg

Times three,......

DSCF8558_zpssxi04gyo.jpg

fuselages together;

DSCF8563_zpsji61ntfb.jpg

wings done;

DSCF8562_zpseufg4lbr.jpg

A closer view;

DSCF8566_zps8h58ashh.jpg

wings attached;

DSCF8567_zpsrugt3nvy.jpg

Not to forget the Hasegawa Kittyhawk Mk.Ia;

DSCF8555_zpsohs0fd1o.jpg

DSCF8556_zpsei0mgqdx.jpg

And all four models assembled and put aside to let the glue dry,.....quite a busy modelling day today!!;

DSCF8568_zpsheekgxai.jpg

And here are the SKY Decals plus some French markings from the kit;

DSCF8557_zpsrrc7yxni.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 7

Glad to see Skipper built, I remember when this aircraft was recovered, it caused quite a stir in the Italian modelling community.

The Merlin engined variants are also my favourite P-40s, still have the first SH kit in the stash, watching yours may tempt me...

• Like 1

Cheers Fella`s,.....go on Giorgio you know that you want to and glad you like them Rob!!

Well had a massive sanding session today and the models are now ready to start painting,....took some photos but Photobucket is playing up,.....I`ll try and add them another time,

Cheers

Tony

Photobucket is now playing ball.

DSCF8595_zps6uxxjoyr.jpg

and the long and short tailed Merlin Kitty`s closer up;

DSCF8596_zpsevzboszb.jpg

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 6

Here are a couple that I built earlier using the same double kit from Special Hobby;

Picture%20531_zpsfja2wnyq.jpg

Picture%20532_zps9e3vsrrc.jpg

Painting is underway now on the current `batch' and the upper tailplane of CV-V has been sprayed yellow using a rattle can as I hand hand brushing yellow!! This has now been masked off,...as have the light grey undersides, ready for the Dark Earth upper surfaces,....Sorry for the crappy piccy

DSCF8603_zpsns2okp9n.jpg

Here is a pic of a French P-40F short tail too,...but I don`t have decals for this one!;

p-40f%20french%20af_zps6lfglev1.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 7

Nice brush work, looking very nice after two coats. Your making me want to build one of my p-40's now...

I always feel there are so many different types of p-40's used all over the world that I get very confused between them all.

Rob

• Like 1

Hiya Folks & thanks for your kind words and encouragement!

Well,......the new bottle of Polly Scale Mid Stone is just resulting in a streaky finish no matter how much I stir the paint or shake the bottle,......so I`ve sanded the finish down and applied a coat of Humbrol enamel 225 Middle Stone which went on perfectly,.....they are just taking forever to dry now!!

While they are off to one side I got on with the other aircraft and the first coat of Polly Scale acrylic Dark Green has been applied over the Dark Earth, with the yellow tailplanes and light grey undersides masked off;

DSCF8659_zps6axshp7y.jpg

Hopefully I`ll get a second coat applied today and it might be ready to add varnish,..we`ll see,...

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Hiya Folks & thanks for your kind words and encouragement!

Well,......the new bottle of Polly Scale Mid Stone is just resulting in a streaky finish no matter how much I stir the paint or shake the bottle,......so I`ve sanded the finish down and applied a coat of Humbrol enamel 225 Middle Stone which went on perfectly,.....they are just taking forever to dry now!!

While they are off to one side I got on with the other aircraft and the first coat of Polly Scale acrylic Dark Green has been applied over the Dark Earth, with the yellow tailplanes and light grey undersides masked off;

DSCF8659_zps6axshp7y.jpg

Hopefully I`ll get a second coat applied today and it might be ready to add varnish,..we`ll see,...

Cheers

Tony

I didn't realize streaky lines is much of an issue with enamel paint (I paint with acrylics, with which one needs to slow down the drying time to sort that out), but maybe thinning it would help?

Dark green over dark earth does look good on a P-40!

• Like 1

I didn't realize streaky lines is much of an issue with enamel paint (I paint with acrylics, with which one needs to slow down the drying time to sort that out), but maybe thinning it would help?

Dark green over dark earth does look good on a P-40!

It is only my first coat of green Jimmy,......the streaky `ness' goes after the 2nd or third coat,....trust me!

Another quick update,......painting is now finished and the Aussie Kitty Mk.II is ready for a coat of varnish, The tail is yellow ready for the black chequered markings adopted by Sqn. Ldr. Eaton on his aircraft.

DSCF8712_zpssxfg1yzt.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 8