1/72nd Valom Bristol Bombay- RAAF Ambulance Flight-FINISHED,....but too late!!

Hiya Folks,

I`ve got a few other models in this GB but as it is my favourite WW2 Theatre I thought I`d try to get a few more too,..... so here we are with the Bombay;

DSCF8523_zpsse8mt1z6.jpg

I managed to get a set of decals for the RAAF Air Ambulance Unit and will be doing it in these colours,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 8

Cheers Chris and Christian,

Along with some other models I managed to paint the interior today,...plus the decals for the Aussie ambulance version can be seen too;

DSCF8525_zps4dpes2dk.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 5

Hiya Folks,.....well a bit of progress on this one,...I`ve added the cockpit, leaving out the Vickers K Gun magazines as this will be an unarmed ambulance version;

DSCF8574_zpsafrkpt3g.jpg

and a closer view of the cockpit;

DSCF8577_zpszik5lod3.jpg

plus the huge plank like wings have been assembled,.......the making edges were sanded flapt to give a better fit;

DSCF8578_zpspvp7gk2f.jpg

So hopefully this afternoon I`ll be closing up the fuselage, adding the wings and then assembling the tailplane,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

Cheers Jes,

Been doing a bit more this afternoon,.....the tail;

DSCF8581_zpszffzlnnh.jpg

I added a spar made from a wooden cocktail stick to make the tail more stable and straight;

DSCF8585_zpsf8padtxs.jpg

Then started on fitting the wings;

DSCF8579_zpspdwgxaui.jpg

DSCF8580_zpsxwubq9vf.jpg

The first wing in place;

DSCF8587_zpsqbfrbiew.jpg

Hopefully the other wing will be in place by tonight,

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 4

Hi Tony,

That's coming along at a cracking pace and looks great!

The first, and only so far, Valom that I have built was their Blackburn Firebrand and that put up a spirited defence against my attempts to build it. I might just have to go and acquire one of these, just for comparison purposes...

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1

Cheers Christian.....I`ve built a few Valom kits and they just need a bit more preparation and test fitting really.I have the Firebrand in the stash but have not built it yet.

I meant to show how the wings have been damaged,.....the trailing edges where they meet the fuselage must have been dropped or something,..... so will need to be built up with filler and plastic card;

DSCF8583_zpsowhrmyzt.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Got the other wing on overnight and also test fitted the glazing for the cockpit and nose too;

DSCF8588_zpsv1alvvkv.jpg

DSCF8589_zpsrj1h6y6z.jpg

So it is looking the part now,.....but quite a bit of sanding awaits!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 5

Very fast Tony! I have this one in the RAAF boxing, as I, like you, am in this Antipodean neck of the woods.

At the speed you're going you may not need it, but just to let you know Scale Aircraft Conversions make a metal undercarriage set for it, and Eduard a set of masks.

Could I ask; what glue did you use to attach the individual windows in the fuselage sides? Im scared of mine falling in (and on a couple of other models I have; Lockheed Vega, Caudron 445).

Inspiringly quick build of a huge bird!

:popcorn:

All the best

Tony

Cheers Tony,....I`ve not actually glued the side windows in as I intend to fill them in at the end using Kristal Kleer. I have added tape to the inside of the windows to try and stop any sanding dust from getting inside and I`ll retrieve this later using tweezers,

I`m not an Aussie mate,.....I`m a proud Lancastrian living in England,......I`m just an ex Army Medic and a fan of the RAAF Ambulance version..

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Cheers Tony,....I`ve not actually glued the side windows in as I intend to fill them in at the end using Kristal Kleer. I have added tape to the inside of the windows to try and stop any sanding dust from getting inside and I`ll retrieve this later using tweezers,

I`m not an Aussie mate,.....I`m a proud Lancastrian living in England,......I`m just an ex Army Medic and a fan of the RAAF Ambulance version..

Cheers

Tony

You're also one of the best damn modellers I've had the privilege of knowing. It's always a joy to see one of your builds "in action"

Now why didnt I sign up for this GB????

Jonners

• Like 3

You're also one of the best damn modellers I've had the privilege of knowing. It's always a joy to see one of your builds "in action"

Jonners

I`d say `lucky modeller',...... but thanks anyway bud,....... you`re not such a bad modeller yourself mate!! Plenty of time to join in,......I`m at the painting stages of quite a few other Med Theatre models which if I`d known about the GB I would have waited to start them.

Cheers

Tony

Cheers Jim,.....just saw your post as I finished this one,...... I have to finish it in time first mate!

Edited by tonyot

Jonners

Jon, Britmodeller doesn´t require an advance signing in a group build. If you have the will, the kits and time, you´re welcome to hop along as there´s still plenty of time to participate and the numbers are unlimited! Tony, a very interesting looking subject! There´s something very Dornier-isqué in the design. V-P

• Like 1

I'm impressed at how fast you're getting on with this Tony & seemingly how little trouble its giving you. When it was announced I was keen to get one & do a 216 (?) Sqn one as supported the LRDG but after seeing some of the builds on here & the hassles that were had, I went off it, now, seeing this, I'm considering reconsidering :D

Steve

• Like 1

I see what you mean about Dornier`esk,......especially around the nose V-P.

I'm impressed at how fast you're getting on with this Tony & seemingly how little trouble its giving you. When it was announced I was keen to get one & do a 216 (?) Sqn one as supported the LRDG but after seeing some of the builds on here & the hassles that were had, I went off it, now, seeing this, I'm considering reconsidering :D
Steve

Go for it Steve,......I`ve just ordered another to do a 216 Sqn machine myself with the brass etched bomb racks under the fuselage. The SAS did their first jumps from a Bombay too,...... a very versatile aircraft!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Hi Tony, apologies I got confused - it's not hard for me :confused:.

The Bombay ambulance is a great subject. I think you might have seen them, but there are some great pictures on this page:

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Bombay

A diorama of the picture with the patient, air and ground ambulance would be very nice :).

The picture with the DH 89 air ambulance is great too.

Inspiring modelling here!

Best regards

Tony

Cheers Tony,

Thanks for the link,.....yes I have seen most of the piccies before but your handy link will come in really useful to see them all together,....cheers. I do build quite a few Aussie subjects so it is easy to assume I`m from Oz too I suppose,......but my ancestors behaves themselves or just didn`t get caught, so they stayed here instead!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Hiya Folks,.......another update and after a few mega sanding sessions I have used up lots of elbow grease but hopefully smoothed out the Bombay;

DSCF8620_zps4mmnk4ng.jpg

Unfortunately I removed a little too much from the underside of the nose so I have attached a sheet of plastic card which I shall later fill and sand to shape,...hopefully!;

DSCF8624_zpsvevdngwt.jpg

One this is done I`ll start to paint it before adding the undercarriage and tail struts.

In some photos of these RAAF ambulance Bombay`s there appears to be a large red cross inside a white disc applied to the lower fuselage so as this is not included in the kit decals I have raided the spares box for suitable substitutes.

Just trying to decide from these photo`s whether the gun turret glazing was painted over or not,......and if so,...from the outside or inside?

Bristol_Bombay_1_AAU_RAAF.jpg

Tunisia_1943_Maintenance_section_of_No_1

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4