Roden Super VC10 - British Airways

zebra

The standard VC10 conversion is on hold, so concentrating on the BA Super now.

Obligatory box photo (if you've read the thread for my standard VC10 conversion, you'll have seen this before):

28354126414_ff7e59483e_c.jpgRoden VC10s ready to go by Julian Griffiths, on Flickr

Progress so far - concentrated on the fuselage today. I've got it assembled and windows filled (but in need of a bit more work). The windscreen was short shot, will need a bit of filling in. Speaking of short shot, I'm not overwhelmed by the quality of this kit - it's a nice kit and will (hopefully) build up into a good model, but there's an awful lot of quite thick flash to deal with, and brittle plastic with a couple of broken wingtips.

Hoping to make quicker progress with this than the standard. Perhaps get as far as painting next weekend. Does anyone have recommendations for good matches for the BA red and blue?

28820167584_c7b850a198_c.jpgSuper VC10 and standard VC10 by Julian Griffiths, on Flickr

SaveSave

• Like 2

Have a look here for some serious inspiration. I'm sure Ian won't mind me pimping his build.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235006368-1144-authentic-airlines-bac-1-11-500/page-3

There are others on the forum from Viking (John), but this is the most current.

Chris.

PS Sorry Ian. Didn't notice you were here too.

• 1 month later...

Quite a lot of progress since the last post... airframe assembled and painted, starboard side decals on:

30407822190_9047f266a6_c.jpgBA Super VC10 WIP by Julian Griffiths, on Flickr

Seems to have taken a while to get this far - kit quality issues were a bit of a pain in the neck (hard to tell where the flash stopped and the kit started in a couple of places - and the wingtips have broken off and been repaired more than a couple of times - to the point where I've given up trying to fix them) - but got the mojo back now and should have this finished within a week, then back on to the BCal VC10.

• Like 5

The plastic is very thin at the wingtips and quite brittle. A couple of them had come off in the box, the others were bent in the box, I managed to fix them a couple of times but it was always very fragile. My other kit had similar problems, but not quite as bad, and I've managed to keep them intact for now.

1 hour ago, zebra said:

The plastic is very thin at the wingtips and quite brittle. A couple of them had come off in the box, the others were bent in the box, I managed to fix them a couple of times but it was always very fragile. My other kit had similar problems, but not quite as bad, and I've managed to keep them intact for now.

Sadly, that's how mine have been from the box. Some of the broken tips I've found others are nowhere to be seen. 

Jeff 

On 2 November 2016 at 8:46 AM, TrojanThunder said:

Looks nice in that scheme

It's a great scheme isn't it? Simple but it works. Really suits the VC10 as well. I love the red tail, and the BA speedbird motif on the nose. Brings back memories of Manchester airport when I was small - Viscounts, 1-11s and Tridents in this scheme. Must dig out that F-Rsin Trident - a bit late for this group build though.

I love the Negus scheme as well - in my case it's memories of Glasgow in the late 1970s, especially Tridents and 1-11s.

You'll enjoy the F-RSIN Trident.  Mine was in RFI a year or two ago. It's a bit rough and ready in some areas but it builds into a good model.  The only accuracy issue I identified was the shape of the central intake and that was fixed in about ten minutes using some plastic strip and superglue.  

Really looking forward to the finished VC-10 :)

• 2 weeks later...

Calling this done. I've left off a few aerials etc. - i wasn't convinced by them, they seemed too big for the scale, and thought the model would look better without them.

Happy with the end result. Didn't really love the kit so the build felt a bit tedious at times, but got it done. And done in time for the end of my first group build.

I love the classic lines of the VC10, it's a really beautiful aircraft, and despite its quality issues the Roden kit seems to capture the look of the real thing very well. Really like this colour scheme and will build more in this scheme, but going back to military aircraft for a while after this. 

30951929365_7d64feff8a_c.jpgBA Super VC10 by Julian Griffiths, on Flickr

30835297912_48da78bee4_c.jpgBA Super VC10 2 by Julian Griffiths, on Flickr

• Like 3

You can never have enough VC10s if you ask me!

Could you not add some aerials from plastic card? I feel they add so much to the busyness of a model.

Pity about your kit's quality problems, I bought one at Telford on Saturday and the moulding was perfect with minimal flash but the nose cone was missing. I'll have to do a resin cast of my completed model for that.

Cheers,

Ian