Airbus Maritime Patrol Aircraft

RichardPrice

So, this started off as a Revell 1:144 Airbus A350-900 that I picked up cheap at an airshow - it was never intended to be done as an airliner, but I never really had any specific intentions for it when I bought it...

A few weeks ago I spotted the kit in a cupboard and dragged it out, again with no specific intentions, only that it was going to be done up as a military aircraft. In the ensuing weeks, it lost some windows, gained a refueling probe, a MAD and an undercoat to detect any flaws in the filler. Oh, and a bump under the forward fuselage.

No idea where my mind was going, but I think its ended up as an RAF (due to the refueling probe) Maritime Patrol Aircraft (due to the MAD and what I can assume is surface search radar under the forward fuselage).

2016-09-02%2017.21.29.jpg

2016-09-02%2017.21.37.jpg

A few more things to be added - payload bay at the rear, buoy dispensers, pylons on the wings for ordnance (thinking navalised Storm Shadow...), a load of antenna (military conversions always seem to have more) and whatever else comes to mind.

The intended scale is 1:72, as that fits with all the other aircraft in my collection - plus it allows me some leeway with the external ordnance.

I'm torn on final paint scheme tho - I have a feeling that the RAF hemp paint scheme died with the MRA.4, but it feels right for this aircraft so I might go in that direction - otherwise, standard barley grey I think, same as the Eurofighters!

Any suggestions would be great!

• Like 5

The Hemp (Camouflage Beige) scheme was on it's way out well before the Nimrod fleet got the Hiroshima treatment with Medium Sea Grey being the predominant colour, rather than Barley Grey/Camouflage Grey which was, IIRC, confined to the fuselage crown. Hopefully someone who knows more and better will be along soon.

I like your idea: I've been trying to scheme an A321 Maritime for a while now and seeing your work has given me an idea or two.

Dam you, you beat me to it! (Well almost), I was thinking about a heavy heavy bomber version for the french as a vengeance weapon.

Looks really good!!!!!! I can't wait to see it ;)

The Hemp (Camouflage Beige) scheme was on it's way out well before the Nimrod fleet got the Hiroshima treatment with Medium Sea Grey being the predominant colour, rather than Barley Grey/Camouflage Grey which was, IIRC, confined to the fuselage crown. Hopefully someone who knows more and better will be along soon.

I like your idea: I've been trying to scheme an A321 Maritime for a while now and seeing your work has given me an idea or two.

Even the MRA.4 flew in hemp, so as this is a whif and I like the scheme, so lets see how it goes :)

I might have been a bit too direct earlier and not appreciating the full concept of your model, for which I apologise.

Some of the MRA 4s flew in yellow/green primer but none in Hemp that I know of (some of the "primer" jets had parts pre-painted in grey). If you can bear to look at the images on the BAe North West Heritage Group site of the destruction of the MRA 4s at Woodford you won't see any Hemp. I think that all but one of the surviving MR 2s are in grey, but you'd need to check.

There's nothing to stop you painting your model in Hemp and Light Aircraft Grey: it'd compliment an eighties-era Nimrod or Victor quite nicely and, after all, it is well into What If (or What Could Have Been) territory.

Great idea and build there, looks like you could sell the proposal to the RAF!

Around half of the surviving MR.2s are in hemp, however the colour was on the way out to be replaced by grey.

I would be going for a similar scheme to the Voyager without the cheatline, for a modern maritime reconnaissance in the most 'realistic' scheme, however I do prefer the hemp finish!

Hemp was for camouflage when sitting on concrete - nothing to do with the maritime role. Witness its presence on Victor tankers. The most realistic scheme is, unfortunately, on overall light/medium grey. I think they've never looked as good as they did in EDSG tops with white sides and bellies.

Aft probe is a Magnetic Anomaly Detector, as seen on Nimrod MR aircraft, P-3 and P-2 (for example). Gets the detector as far away from anything magnetic in the aeroplane as possible without having to tow it on a wire (like the towed decoys used on some types). Great for picking up submerged submarines.

As Stever219 says, its a magnetic anomaly detector - in reality, a spare bit of sprue with the end sanded down and rounded off, a hole cut in the tail cone and plenty of filler and sanding :)

The refueling probe is similar - some metal tubing, a hole (long hole) cut in the fuselage, the tubing super glued in place, filler to smooth everything out, and the actual probe itself is a Vulcan 1:72 brass bit, glued into the end of the tubing.

Both very simple to do, just requires patience with filler and sanding - a few applications of both for both ends, coats of undercoat inbetween to show up stuff which needs to be corrected.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:

2016-09-19%2018.20.23.jpg

Its gained its final lumps and bumps - mainly antenna, some stuff under the tail, an optical turret just aft of the wings and some air intakes dotted around.

I've gone for a grey finish, only the fuselage done so far - the wings have their weapons pylons attached, just need a coat or two of paint, the centre mart masked off for a different colour.

Then onto the decalling stage - plenty of scope there for some interesting additions and features.

The fuselage windows are covered with maskol btw - well, the ones not filled in with putty that is...

• Like 3

Small update - main painting has finished, windows have been exposed, base coat of Klear has gone on and the first round of decalling has been done.

RAF%20Storm%20MPA%20-%202016-09-28.jpg

Still some decalling on the underneath yet to do, then the clear parts for the lights etc.  The engines still have to have the fan and the rear cone done.

Final thing to be done will be the armament for the underwing pylons.

• Like 4

Weapons are supposed to be a European anti-shipping version of the Taurus cruise missile (yeah, was supposed to be a Stormshadow, but I got to the end of the decalling phase of the two missiles before realising I had built Taurus missiles rather than Stormshadow - my brain must be fried...) and two Mk.62 Quickstrike mines on each wing (rationale being that the RAF doesn't stock naval mines anymore, but it could quickly buy them off the US and as they are a dumb bomb, they wouldn't need any specific adaptation to the airframe).

Lastly, there is a Sniper pod under the belly to augment the optical turret aft of the wings.