Academy Me262A-1a

Me 262 build starts here!

I started this build on Sunday 28th August. I've cleared up my environment so I'm free to make models once again, although it has been some time, so I thought I'd brush up on my skills again before I finish/ruin that harrier! So far I've been working on a mister craft hawker hunter which is near ready for paint and the aforementioned Airfix harrier which I've been dabbling with......

So, on with this build....

I decided it's going to be fast and from the box!

A few parts make up the nose section and wings the fit is excellent, the wing/fuselage joint just clicks in, as does the cockpit assembly. This area was a bit fiddly! I superglued the console to my finger and I lost the control column to the carpet monster.......which, on a clean wooden floor is some feat.... (Oh yeah, there is also a big glue finger print melted into the port wing. Once dry I sanded this up. Looks ok now..... Glad I chose to practice!!,)

After getting bored of searching for the missing part I picked out a few colours and laid down some paint.....first use of the gun in a while! Felt goooood!

Went to bed, woke up, found the control column.

Happy days.

I used tamiya paints;

German grey for the cockpit.

RLM 02 for the undercarriage legs, doors and bays.

29114608950_8064b402e6_z.jpg

Me262 round 2.......

Cockpit. Some parts of this type I'm unsure of, I couldn't help but look for some pics to see what you should have here.

Clearly seatbelts and seat cushion are missing. Also the gunsight is missing. There are a few more little details but I want this to be quick!

The piece of foil that holds headache pills has a light embossed pattern. I've read about using this for belts. Why not have a go?

It took longer than expected!

Cut with a steel rule and scalpel, the "belts" were fixed with superglue. Seat cushion from styrene sheet, rounded a bit with a file so it looks more ummm, cushiony?

Painted with games workshop acrylics.

Browns on the cushion and bone for the belts.

A few (because they were nearest) Airfix acrylic colors were used in the tub for switches and dry brushing. Tamiya flat black for the dials and green for the rediscovered control column boot.

29403020185_baa1c72aa6_z.jpg

Looks ok. A fairly accurate representation of what should be. Except for the gunsight. Not sure about building one yet, I wanted a quick build.

Sidewalls could do with something GAP filling... It should be fairly straightforward, looks to be parallel. Maybe next time?

The fit of the tub assembly to the fuselage is excellent, it just snaps in... No glue!

I just tacked it in with superglue.

28778683304_faa2c9afcb_z.jpg

Me262 Weight and Luck!

According to the instructions you need 5-8g in the nose. I found some appropriate sized weights. This time I'm using little screws, this turns out to be a lucky find! The small screws are about 0.5g and the big screws are about 1g. I could only fit two screws in the nose, so I had to remove the cockpit, that's the lucky bit, I'm glad I just tacked it with super glue.

I got 8 small plus blu tac between the bulkheads, and I can fit 2 large into each engine nacelle. That's enough!

This time I used the scalpel handle and blu tac to form a counter balance, just add screws!

29114607020_15290e1522_z.jpg

Me262 cockpit 2.

I had to remove the cockpit to get some extra weight in! While it was out.......

I broke the instrument panel off, by accident. While it was off....... I thought I'd add some of the wiring which can be seen through the glass...

I discovered this detail while looking for the cockpit references.

This took ages but I advanced my skills my a bit.

I made some little instrument backs from the spares box, drilled some holes for the wire which was sprayed yellow and everything was superglued into place and trimmed to length with cutters. Then the panel complete was refitted to the tub. I think the wire was too firm for the task, I must try and get some lead wire. That's it for this part! Too much time wasted here....now time for the engines.

(Pic to follow......)

Edited by It's a disease

29157883750_f48c10523c_z.jpg

(Left pair)

Laying down some basic colours. Started with RLM76 on the gear doors, inlet housing and starter motor cover. Then black for the wheel components and exhausts. Metallic grey was sprayed everywhere except the inlet blades which I brushed with a hairy stick!

(Right pair)

Weighting and double checking balance!

This time I used two screws and blu tac, (bottom right pic) this makes a slightly better lever for the counter balance. I'm fairly confident this will sit on it's wheels.........

Glue time!

29338114232_8f0ddbffbf_z.jpg

Me262 engines and filler!

I must say this is the worst part of the kit for fit. Everything apart from the rear deck in the cockpit needs no filler, that area of cockpit only needs the smallest amount. I used plasto (white) which I found to be less aggressive vs squadron putty on the upper rear of the nacelles and milliput (yellow) where the nacelles meet the wing and also 2-3 little spots where the inlet cover meets the main nacelle and the nacelle to wing upper joint. Milliput was worked in with a cocktail stick and smoothed back with a damp tissue, great stuff, it's left ready to paint with, hopefully, no further work necessary!

I think it should be a natural metal finish in the gear bays, the bottom of the cockpit and the insides of the fuselage. Too late, grey looks nice!

29366367001_1a0baa8499_z.jpg

Me262 Saturday....

I didn't manage much on Saturday.

The gun covers, fill first (sprue gate) then fit, clean and fit transparencies. All I need now is masking tape....

There are about 3 small pieces to fit just before I paint this thing.

I did research the markings option for the finish so it wasn't a wasted day.... Just not a lot of modelling.

Edited by It's a disease
  • Like 1

Nice job, the cockpit looks pretty good, looking forward to see the paint job :winkgrin:

Hi, you know, I was quite surprised when I saw pictures of the actual thing compared to the parts in the box. Very close indeed!

Paint will be nothing fancy, standard late war colour. It will be rather boring but unique all at the same time. . . .

Cheers.

Edited by It's a disease

• 2 weeks later...

29335911360_64df5d2f2a_z.jpg

Me262 Paint

I used tamiya tape and humbrol maskol for the canopy/cockpit, u/c bays and jet inlet/exhaust.

Everything was given a coat of black semi gloss. After touching up a few seams that needed attention, mainly around the tail joint, I followed up with a full coat of RLM76. The upper surfaces were given a full coat of RLM81 after which I masked off the splinter pattern and followed up with RLM82.

The wings were then masked off. I repeated the colours in order 76, 81, 82 along the fuselage and engine nacelles. I tried to refine the technique I used on the FW190. I gave up with blu tac and just tried to spray the smallest dots I could, cycling the colours until I was happy.

(RLM 81=

x7+xf64)

(RLM 82= xf5+x28@40:60+1%white)

(RLM76=

xf23+x2)

Mixes from IPMS Stockholm using tamiya.

29002408333_0a6eaaf2cc_z.jpg

After removing the tape, I tickled it with 12000 grit micromesh, touched up where necessary then gave two full coats of alclad Klear gloss. Time for the decals! (Shot before sanding, touch ups and alclad)

(The decals went wrong, I seem to have trouble with academy decals, which is why I took such care with the prep this time. The a10 thunderbolt decals went wrong, I assumed it was my prep. Both kits are academy. As such I can't continue with this build until I source some replacements)

• Like 2

Cheers.

waiting for payday before this gets finished!

Something along the lines of an eagle cal 262 hack job laced with a bit of fantasy printshop fiddling.....

At least I now have a plan for the finish I wanted to achieve!

• 5 months later...
Happy Christmas.....

Set delivered by Santa, he had the foresight to pick a set with two sets of stencil data, enough to complete the pair of me262s I have sitting around! I will be robbing the set to finish the one I started.

A nod to eaglecal decals

A nod to eaglecal decals!

These are really good! The white is solid!
They settle nice. Bit of an issue with the port side fuselage balkenkreuz silvering but that is 100% my fault. (Adjusted height didn't apply decalsoft behind decal.)

Forgot to add a minor point, stencil data instructions are not 100% clear.

Edited by It's a disease
  • Like 2

Me 262 (macro decals!)
So, progress. Really impressed with the decals.....while mucking about with the camera I thought I'd shoot this build. I had the sigma 150mm os with the 1.4 tele. (210mm macro @ 1.4:1)
There are details here you can't even see with the naked eye! Rounds per gun! Correct font on trim tab......
Really amazing!
The main shot was with the regular kit lens.
I still have a few more decals to go but I will need to re gloss before I put the secondary decals on, I think they're the octane triangles and the swastika. Otherwise, we are done! Oh, a couple decals for the nose wheel......
Ummmm, wing walks were the trickiest part. They need to be cut from strips, either black or red, so each needs measuring out.
These decals are tough! The rear trestle point I fitted back to front, using decal soft to get it to conform, after realising my mistake, I lifted it, put it on the correct way and re conformed it in the other direction!
(I was expecting failure, but it's on, and it's passable!)
I sorted the silvered fuselage balkenkreuz by cutting as close to the white as possible with a new sharp blade, then I tickled off the carrier film, bearing in mind this had been on for 24 hours, it went well! No paint damage, no decal damage........ A trick for the future, for sure!

Me 262 (macro decals!)

• Like 2

Cheers, im chuffed with the paint!

Take 2 on Luftwaffe mottle with an airbrush, it's getting closer!

Yes I am surprised by these but then I've never taken a similar shot, so no comparison with anything......

but yeah, they're real nice!

Ive always found lightly spraying over the mottle with the RLM 76 blends it in nicely. If you can spray it freehand, I think you'll be on to a winner! Looking good so far though! Big thumbs up from me!

• Like 1

Cheers!

......and CHEERS!!!!! For the tip!

(I'm sure that's the nugget I need!)

On the next one I'll mist it over. I think that's exactly right in hindsight (also with a gentle nudge in the right direction) that should take the stark-ness? off the look.

I find 1/72 always needs some form of mask to avoid overspray but that may be poor technique! (Gun angle/pressure...)

I did a mh53 freestyle with desert colours, and even on the large areas there was a lot of overspray in the middle of the panels....... It tidied up easy enough but, well that may be normal? Who knows! I don't......

Still, I'm having fun atomising acrylics!

• Like 1

Cheers, I'm almost happy with the paint!

For decals, the trick I use is;

the cheapest nastiest plastic bristled brush (Think dustpan brush but more like a size 6) and some decal soft by revell!

Solution under the decal, line it up. Press it on the usual fashion..... Add more soft over the top, wait a bit, gently press (slight bowing of bristles) being firm (nasty plastic things) they find their way, same thing for panel lines except using a linear motion (drawing away) working from the centre out.

The brush is disgusting, I'm not sure how I happened to own it but it does this job well. (It may have come with a really early airfix paints included box? With a grey lid and enamel tinned paint.)

If I need to add serious pressure, I revert to a regular soft brush as the plastic bristles can damage the paint layers on the decal and can also tear them too.

I am really pleased with the decals, some may say they are a bit glossy but I'm not sure that's an issue as you coat over them anyway? I guess I'll find out when it comes to matting down the finish! It may actually be useful for the ones that have a second decal over the top but I'm not taking any chances here......

Edited by It's a disease

Me 262 decals

Left side, all decals on before second gloss coat.
I used alclad clear again. Some minor silvering on walkways but I dealt with the worst of it.
Definitely my prep work! I pushed all the cockpit masking in so I removed it entirely and will refit new stuff before I get the airbrush out.
Right side, after second phase, post gloss! Just a few decals left. I don't think I've ever laid markings on a 1/72 wheel before?! Not much point to these shots, progress is all! Only notable point, top right shot, if you look carefully you can see where I cut the carrier film on the fuselage balkenkreuz.
I thought I'd finished but the airframe needs a serial code/werk nummer.

Me 262 decals

(so I contradict myself and take a chance)

Final shots! Real pleased with how it looks.
Took a chance on the academy codes, i couldn't justify the cost of serials for one airframe, I'm fairly sure it will be a while before any more Luftwaffe kits get built (save one condor!). I cut out the bits I needed to build the serial for this aircraft. I'm pretty sure it doesn't appear on any sheets, so that makes it unique!
Inevitably the academy serials silvered, quite bad on some numbers, so, after recreating a miniature Seurats circus invisibly with the trusty old number 11, i washed in a thin acrylic gloss to the resultant porosity! This was pressed down in a normal decal like fixing fashion!
Most of is sorted, just need to do the opposite side!
Then I'm finished........and it's off for matting and final oddments.

Edited by It's a disease
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...
1/72 Academy ME 262

September 19th 2019!

Finally got around to doing the wheels! Tamiya nato black was used. Everything has had a few coats of Alclad flat. Undercarriage set and drying.

1/72 Academy ME 262

20th September.

Final assembly. Just waiting for glue to dry, then I can finish picking the mask.

1/72 Academy ME 262

28th September.

Finished! This one took a while to get across the line. At some point I’ll take some decent finished shots.....

I tried using ez line thread here. A tad over scale!

l should get some RFI shots and do a bit for that........

I've been digging deep for a minuscule amount of modelling mojo!

one thing is for sure, it will never leave me.

ITS A DISEASE!