better airbrush?

simon64

i have been given a nearly new Neo which I am considering just using for base coats which I used to use Badger single action for. Having given up on Aztec's (had 2 of the 470 range both been back to the manafactures at least once) I'm now looking for an airbrush for detail work, but I'm getting lost on choices - far too many nice shiney things to look at! So I was wondering if I should stick to the Iawata range or look at other brands. Any surgestions?

Hello,Simon - I wholeheartedly recommend Iwata, I was in a similar quandary to yourself.I made contact with the Airbrush Company to discuss my requirements with them.They were superb to deal with.Informative,helpful and non-pushy which is what you want.I settled for the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS and I'm over the moon with it.

Food for thought and happy hunting! ;) All the best,Paul.

I currently use a H&S, before that I used an Iwata. I would recommend either without hesitation, so it's down to personal views on things like ergonomics.

I find it's also Harder & Steenbeck give you better value for money are more flexible in configuration and cheaper to maintain.

For an Iwata detail brush you would normally be talking about the B+ or the Hiline BH.

They have a 0.2mm nozzle set and an small fixed gravity fed paint cup, a little under 2ml.

They are both similar, except the hiline has a mac valve. ( an air pressure regulator on the brush).

List prices on these are £205 and £259. Street price is about 10% less.

The only upgrade you can make to these brushes is to change the nozzle to the slightly larger 0.3mm nozzle set, which costs around £50.

The equivalent on the H&S range is the Infinity crplus at around £165.

You can get it with either a 0.15, 0.2 or 0.4mm nozzle set. I would suggest the 0.2mm version. This will paint lines down to 1mm and up to around 14mm. The 0.15mm will paint down to 0.5mm, but as nozzle get smaller, they tend to clog easier, and if needed the 0.15mm needle & nozzle cost £21.

Spares are a lot cheaper, paint nozzles are £12 or £13 each compared to the list price of £37.50 for the H&S nozzle.

H&S bushes have also been designed for ease of maintenance & for day to day cleaning no tools are required to remove the paint nozzle.

In addition to the four different nozzle sizes that can be used with the brush there are also different paint cups available.

The largest we stock is a 50ml cup, there is also a 15ml cup, the two standard 5ml & 2ml cups as well as a micro cup.

The micro cup is used for fine detail work. It really just protects the screw thread where the paint cup fits and allows you to use the small internal approx 0.2ml paint reservoir.

http://www.modellingtools.co.uk/harder--steenbeckbr-infinity-crplus-02-airbrush---02mm-nozzle-set-and-2ml-paint-cup-3718-p.asp

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Another H & S fan here. I went through about six different "spray devices" over the decades (including Badgers, Azteks and cheap Chinese types) but finally settled on an H & S Evolution which I bought about six years ago. I love it.

On 9/5/2016 at 2:34 PM, simon64 said:

Thanks for that Paul, I pressume that you will be at the Nationals this year, if so do you bring brushes to try out and more importantly sell! If you are I'll introduce myself and have a chat :winkgrin:

Hi,

Yes, we'll be there. Airbrush demo / trying area will be there as normal.

We should be in Hall 2 next to the middle walk through to hall 1.

http://ipmsuk.org/ipms-scale-modelworld/scale-modelworld-floor-plan/

Thanks,

Paul

On 10/01/2016 at 3:29 AM, Gremlin56 said:

Badger Krome............................................................................................Once you go Krome...

... you never go... Home?

• Like 1