Eventually two finished models

Finished/abandoned a good number in the last 2 weeks, still got a couple activly on the go, and will be starting one/two for the MTO GB over the weekend, have space for one more a think, anbd with my main project for the MTO GB looking like I will be ready to start it next week, has to be something simple, scratches starting the B-58 now....a few choices, decided on this one, have done before last spring, my first ever attempt at NMF, and although looks okay from a distance, up close its a bit of a horror show, now to buy some halfords aluminium in case whats left in the can isn't enough.

725807AE-DAA8-428E-8E59-FE887FF3F31E_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

Rattle can, should see the underside, sanding scatches quite visble, and surface 'crinkling' where I didn't mask the yellow when I brushed it on...should look so much better, was so pleased with my recent f-86 in NMF

anyway better start the plastic bashing :)

Edited by PhantomBigStu

all together, really simple kit, remember it being slightly trickier the first time round, was still learning the basics at that stage, even did a better job with the stand hole, moved it back so don't need to have the stand base backword this time

Hope airfix do plan to reissue this in the future with new decals, do still have the starter but would be a shame not to have this in the catologue

3372F907-4630-4C84-8C45-EF2E6D53D0B0_zps

246BDB56-53E4-4F71-BF6A-106C1CB210A4_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

Up bright and early, first football game of the season and it seems every year the league insist we get to the venue even earlier, glue drying on the last couple of bits and will be primed before I leave, I provide the ball for our pre game warmup and mine needs pumping so a visit to the shed is a must 03DF0FB7-2402-416D-AB8E-12847596A539_zps

• Like 1

Right found some mojo, both are underway,

sprue shots of the panther, half a sprue missing as I donated some bombs to a fellow member

209B1074-88CF-4316-9AEB-C1E607BE660F_zps

2 interiors painted, I used Hu226 interior green, looking at photos, seems a good enough choice for both from photos

0927347E-2A7D-40DB-B343-4B0980CBFE3D_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

Well it seems I'm having awful luck this week, spitfire has gone to be striped down back to primer, and the x1 seems to be taking a million coats of paint, panthers going ok though, just need to clean up around the silver, pop the seat and canopy on before I can gloss and decal 

E3988DA7-9099-4344-9481-4F54CB9ACBA0_zps

• Like 1

Well I'm definitely cursed, need to take a break from modelling, probably sacrifice a small child or something to please whichever deity I've offended, canopy on the panther cracked when I put it on, looks like the cockpit is squiffy so the bulkhead is to blame for the cracks. May still put the decals on, sure somebody has a spare canopy.....

98920019-BE34-4760-9115-1F6C69DF1DCB_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu

• 4 weeks later...

Well this thread has been a trainwreck, all 3 suffering disasters, though I haven't binned the panther as it all it needs is replacement canopy (there is a dreaded vacuform). Anyway after doing zero modelling since I used lethal force on my heinkel,  I'm back into the game, picked the spit up yesterday and had the tiffie in the stash. Need to pick up some stencils for the latter, is an avelogy sheet on hannants but I didn't like their mossie stencils so I may buy another whole kit and buy a sheet off airfix  

40B34419-71A6-452F-8A93-BA344899B47D_zps

• Like 1

Hi PBS,

sacrificing a young child to the modelling gods is indeed a tempting option. Before you take this route though, why don't you try the Tamiya aluminium/silver rattle cans? They work a treat without any orange peels, grainy finish, etc, and dry very quickly. In short I am not using anything else for NMF finish.

Try it...

The attrition rate in your workshop is quite scary. I haven't got the luxury of binning anything, as everything is so hard to come by here.

You are producing some great modelling at a lightning-fast rate.

Congrats on your stamina!

JR

41 minutes ago, Mark4700 said:

Wow. A lot going on with this thread. :blink:

41 minutes ago, Mark4700 said:

Wow. A lot going on with this thread. :blink:

It's certainly putting me to shame! :(

1 hour ago, jean said:

Hi PBS,

sacrificing a young child to the modelling gods is indeed a tempting option. Before you take this route though, why don't you try the Tamiya aluminium/silver rattle cans? They work a treat without any orange peels, grainy finish, etc, and dry very quickly. In short I am not using anything else for NMF finish.

Try it...

The attrition rate in your workshop is quite scary. I haven't got the luxury of binning anything, as everything is so hard to come by here.

You are producing some great modelling at a lightning-fast rate.

Congrats on your stamina!

JR

I may try the tamiya cans for the mustang STGB, though I've done some tests on a mule and got a much better finish with the halfords stuff.

Indeed, need to sort that out, binning things was meant to be a last resort, and I seem to have reached that option way too easily recently, suspect I'm starting way too many kits where I'm not that keen on them and hence I'm not giving them the focus they deserve hence things go wrong. I decree now I will not bin anything else this year :)

anyway we have a pair ready for painting, seems I forgot to take a pic of the pits 

4A1E0D6D-0141-4DAB-8734-10705ADF4160_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3