RAF VC10 - Roden conversion

VC10 C Mk 1

10 Sqn, RAF Brize Norton, 1968

MODELS%20Sept%202016%20004.jpg

Roden Super VC10 kit converted to the RAF version by removing fuselage sections ahead and behind the wing. A lot of Milliput was needed to blend in the rear section. Cuts were made to retain the wing to fuselage fairing. A tailcone extension was also needed for the APU mounting. Decals were by TwoSix.

VC10%20Roden.jpg

I expected this to be a much easier build than it was. Fit of parts was not that good and needed a lot of work. Surface detail was good, but a tad on the heavy side But hey – it’s a new VC10. No more mega-scribing of the 60s Airfix kit!

PS – If anyone finds my photos distorted where I’ve cropped them, which seems to have happened to me previously – I’m sorry but I’ve no idea what to do about it!

MODELS%20Sept%202016%20003.jpg

MODELS%20Sept%202016%20005.jpg

MODELS%20Sept%202016%20006.jpg

MODELS%20Sept%202016%20002.jpg

MODELS%20Sept%202016%20001.jpg

• Like 35

I just received my kit and decals today as I am planning to do the exact same thing! Interesting take on how you chopped the rear up. I will have to look into that. Do you have any pics of the cuts to the front fuselage? I take it that the wing and tail walkways are spare decals?

Edited by andy wood

Hi Chris,

This is just lovely. Well done with your conversion.

It's amazing how much better the Roden nose is compared to the Airfix one. This is a conversion I'll be doing too in the not too distant future. Loads more Standard liveries than Supers.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

I just received my kit and decals today as I am planning to do the exact same thing! Interesting take on how you chopped the rear up. I will have to look into that. Do you have any pics of the cuts to the front fuselage? I take it that the wing and tail walkways are spare decals?

The front fuselage cuts were done in the same way as the rear - you can kind of slide the parts together on the horizontal cuts which helps with alignment. You need to be very careful around the windows as the plastic gets very thin there - I would recommend gluing the clear parts in place first. I also messed about with the engine pylons to give them that dihedral look. Yes, the walkways are Xtradecal yellow stripes. F-Dcal do the walkways on their RAF VC10 sheet but I didn't like the look of their roundels and went for 26 instead. The decals are very nice, but I must admit I made a mess of my freight door decal - it just curled round on itself and I couldn't rescue it! Thankfully I had a Welsh models freight door decal but it's a bit on the heavy side.

By the way, when you come to the decals take a very close look at photos from whichever period you choose as there are a lot of subtle changes to things like cabin door outlines, nose colours, squadron and 'VC' badges, etc. Mine represents the first and most simple configuration just after Transport Command became Air Support Command in 1968

A great result Chris. The VC-10 looks so good in this scheme and you have made a lovely job of shortening the fuselage.

I'm sure there will be quite a few following your lead to produce a standard machine too. As Ian says, there are more livery options to choose from for a start.

Thanks for sharing

Chris

What a wonderful job you`ve done converting this into a `proper' RAF Vicky 10,....... I love the 10 Sqn aircraft in the transport colours and flew in one myself back from Kenya,...backwards all the way!!

Cheers

Tony

Another excellent Ten, there have been some beauties on this site lately. Your conversion to a C.1 is inspirational and certainly looks better than the old Airfix version.

Mark

A very nice built and finish. Well done! It is nearly making me wish to replace the airfix-based version I built about 13 years ago...

Regasrds

Tim

Definitely on my 'to do' list……

I've spent thousands of hours on these, both as a Scaley Brat going back and forth from the Middle and Far East and then after I joined up. Most memorable landing was probably that into Kai Tak, skimming over the blocks of flats and hoping the crew would not to snag some TV aerials in the undercarriage. Take offs…?....many but a really hot and high departure from Nairobi with a full load of pax/freight and fuel was one of them…..it took us almost 30 minutes to get to cruise altitude on that occasion.

Great conversion, nicely executed, and a superb finish to boot.

Well Done