Northrop F-89J Scorpion from Revell, 1/72

alex

Good morning,

after the Rafale something a bit older... the F-89 Scorpion was a typical member of the first generation of jets. Straight wings, subsonic, a very classical layout. The most noteworthy thing was the nuclear air to air missile AIR-2 "Genie", which was only tested on the Scorpion. Other aircraft could carry it as well, but never fired a live one.

The kit is apparently good from what I read, some minor sink marks, a decal sheet slightly out of register and the horrible silver plastic, but nothing which can't be handled.

Tanks were slightly bent, so I used the old trick to get the top point togehter: by pushing the tip into a small rivet hole.

1-tank_zpslkah05oy.jpg

The few small sink marks

3-sinkstellen_zpse3lbwnky.jpg

4-sinkstellen2_zpslhrwbvfl.jpg

Cockpit tub is a bit empty, I added some panels. I will try to do the knobs at a later stage...

5-wanne2_zps8qqphz3g.jpg

Seats are OK for the kit, but I preferred to add the Pavla resin seats (left).

6-sitze_zpsfe9yep46.jpg

Pilot seat from the side.

7-pilotensitz_zpsr2frwxvb.jpg

And the ordnance. The Genie should be a bit beefier, I think they are a bit too slim. Falcons look nice with the surface details.

8-zuladung_zpsnlpnju2p.jpg

To be followed!

Alex

• Like 3

Cockpit got some work done. The backside of the WSO was a bit flat, so I added some stuff, and painted it accordingly.

11-panelkopi_zpsbyqjs5ih.jpg

The panels themselves are reprsented by decals, which are slightly out of register. The big cathode ray tube in the middle will be added later.

10-panels_zps882gq9y8.jpg

The seats, after some painting and washing. The cast is not 100% perfect, but for this small scale, it will do. After all, it's really small, and hard to see.

12-sitz_zpsl8vbnbg3.jpg

Building is hassle-free, and it goes togehter rather well.

Alex

• Like 1

Mine is being built OOB and has already metal painted on the fuselage and wings.

Not one of Revell's marvels but a 3/5 average kit of an interesting aircraft.

If you don't plan to display the open cockpit, I think that those resin seats are a bit of needless effort.

Btw. does your canopy have a tiny air bubble too?

Anyway, watch out for the seams where air intakes and fuselage meet and for the tricky fit of exhausts.

Josip

• 1 year later...

Just continued a bit on the Scorpion. Can it be that Revell has got the tiptanks upside down on their drawing? I think that the large square panels should be on top, and  not on the bottom side. Anyone here who can confirm or deny it?

Alex

• Like 1