Spitfire Mk.Vb Egypt Revell 1/72

Having found that I'd have enough spare resin and PE to build another MTO Spitfire, I plumped for Bill Kain's aircraft EP312 - the aftermarket decals suggesting a date of May 1944. There seems to be some dispute over the colour scheme so I'll figure that out later.

With that in mind I picked up a Revell MkV to have a go at.

The box

kainbox

The sprues

kainsprue

The instructions (part thereof)

kaininst

The boxed decals, which won't be used but look quite decent to me

spitdecs

Edited by Avereda
Photo
  • Like 3

That box looks like it's seen a lot and been around! (I have a couple of kit boxes that looks just like it). Good stuff.

Looking forward to your work on this one aswell. I had a crack at this kit as a smer boxing made as a Malta based mkv, that was a few years ago and my son smashed it...

Rob

Thankfully box contents were all fine...until I started carving the fuselage for the resin. Photos to follow Edited by Avereda

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of scrubbing and rubbing but not much real action over the last week. This has given me time to ponder the colour scheme. The Pavia instructions suggest Dark Earth/Dark Green/Azure but this forum thread http://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/6457that the Dark Green was over sprayed with Middle stone and Bill Kain himself is quoted as saying that the plane was painted in "browns". Not sure which way to sway at the moment but it will probably be at least another week before I start applying the main colours.

Managed to get a bit more done last night. The cockpit relief highlighting looks a bit wild on the photo but is a lot calmer in reality. Although the silver is unrealistic it looks ok when the fuselage is closed up so I'm probably going to stick with it, I may tone it down in the undercarriage area though. A bit of work still to do on the seat and the instrument panel.

kainstart

Edited by Avereda
Photo
  • Like 5

Fitted the cockpit over the weekend and glued up the wings. Photo is before the wings were properly attached to the fuselage but, trust me, that's where this one is up to now. Next week - adventures in resin adhesion.

kainbod

Edited by Avereda
Photo
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the resin attached and a couple of photos taken part way through the filling process. Getting there slowly.

kaintape

kaintapeside

Edited by Avereda
Photo
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided to go with Dark Earth/Middle stone/Azure as the scheme. The references I gave above suggest that the camouflage colours are reversed from normal so it should make a nice contrast to the other Spitfire I'm building. The photos show where I'm up to

kainprimekainunder

Edited by Avereda
Photo

This is coming along really well,...love the 6 stack exhaust and Aboukir filter. Re the scheme,.....I would say that it was Dark Earth and Dark Green above, or even a Dark Gray- ish finish such as a version of the Temperate Sea Scheme, rather than the desert Dark Earth/Middle Stone. It would have started off in the latter scheme but by the time it reached Malta it was definitely a darker colour.

Cheers

Tony 

On 26/10/2016 at 5:26 PM, tonyot said:

This is coming along really well,...love the 6 stack exhaust and Aboukir filter. Re the scheme,.....I would say that it was Dark Earth and Dark Green above, or even a Dark Gray- ish finish such as a version of the Temperate Sea Scheme, rather than the desert Dark Earth/Middle Stone. It would have started off in the latter scheme but by the time it reached Malta it was definitely a darker colour.

Cheers

Tony 

Thanks for this Tony, your comment has spurred me on to reinvestigate the source material and it seems much more likely that the brown/green/blue scheme is correct. With a bit of luck I should have at least got the Dark Green on by next weekend.

• Like 1

You`ve probably seen this already,...but just in case,....here is a pic of your subject;

Image result for ep312 spitfire

Note the covered wheel hubs and Rotol propeller. The Dark Green area of camouflage runs through the cockpit area, where the Middle Stone would have been. 

I know it is artwork and you should never trust artworkl...... but this looks pretty good to me;

Supermarine Spitfire | EP312 | D-K

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Many thanks again Tony, as it happens I have seen the pictures - I had a go at manipulating the B&W shot to try and figure out what was going on with the colour scheme but I can't seem to find either the manipulated shot or the original at the moment.

Anyhow, I've gone with Dark Green and Dark Earth, I picked up some Xtracrylix colours a wee while ago and had a go with them over the weekend. So far I'm not really a fan and I've found them difficult to paint with - the picture below shows where I've got to.

kaingrn

Edited by Avereda
Photo
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The stately plod continues, on with the Dark Earth - I'm still not really happy with the finish but let's see how it turns out in the end

kaincamo

Edited by Avereda
Photo
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Got some decals on which went okish, on the upper half anyway, also bunged some stencils - not entirely sure this was a good idea. The roundels on the underside of the wings didn't work too well, I'll try and put up a photo later and trawl for a solution. In the mean time here's a slightly fuzzy photo of progress thus far

31103128102_3ac75fa7ac_b.jpg

Edited by Avereda
Tablet keyboard weirdness
  • Like 3

I'm not sure how I've come to miss this, a scheme I'm keen to do sometime. Derek Kain of couse was a well known New Zealand pilot who served with the RAF from 1935 -1945. The profile that Tony shared gives a rather unfortuate impression of the DG/DE upper colour scheme being way to intense in it's colours to my mind though it's as it appears in it's original publication. Your colours look far more convincing, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this comes up, its looking great to this stage.

Steve.

• Like 1

Just now, Beard said:

It's an interesting scheme and your paintwork looks great.

Slightly fuzzy photos are obviously the way forward. I'll try and sort the under wing ones out tomorrow morning. Thanks again to all who have commented and encouraged.

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

...I'm really looking forward to seeing how this comes up, its looking great to this stage.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, I fear that this may be the high point of the build. I hope the final result isn't too grim for you.

Edited by Avereda
Tabletitis, again

• 4 weeks later...

Just about got there, there's probably more bad than good in this build but here it is anyway. I've rectified most of the problems by not photographing them. Thoroughly enjoyed the GB mind you and checking out some of the superb stuff on display. Merry Christmas folks.

31845014915_498ae9d53c_b.jpg

Edited by Avereda
Photo
  • Like 2