Hasegawa Fw 190A-5 as Walter Nowotny's Machine.

A bit slow for the off with this but I reckon I've still got time. 1st up the obligatory pile of bits & pieces. Since I took that a couple of days ago, I'm using a copy of the Eduard scheme for this machine for paint info but I've decided against using any of the Airwaves set, it was originally bought to give me some engine fans on an Italeri Do 217 & I reckon what is visble in the Fw 190 pit doesn't make it worthwhile.

DSCF2723.jpg

A bit of time the last couple of days saw the cockpit module completed, at least as far as I want to go. I didn't like the kit decals much, huge backing films & the detail doesn't show against the RLM66 interior colour at all well. Some tape seat belts & its now about ready to drop into the fuselage which is now glued up. I've also amused myself filling the panel lines that an A-5 doesn't want & sliced off some lumps under the wings it also didn't want, a bit heavy handed here so out with the dissolved putty.

DSCF2724.jpg

Steve.

• Like 3

I don't know how accurate they are but they do indicate which panel lines are not required for the A-5 & -6 compared to the -8. I think that removing the lumps under the wings was my initiative as Nowotny's plane didn't have the outer wing guns & the Eduard instructions & other builds didn't show them either. The h\Hasegawa instructions left them on as I recall, I don't have them with me just now.

Steve.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hells teeth, what have I been doing the last 2 1/2 weeks, not much it would appear yet there is some progress & I'm hoping I can mask up the yellow tomorrow & get some camo colours on it. I've been playing around with a mix to lighten the Hu 242 with a little Hu 240 slightly to give some contrast in the top colours. Anyway, heres to evidence of my sloth.

DSCF2725.jpg

DSCF2727.jpg

Steve.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

But wait, theres more, progress slow but steady & getting to a satisfying stage.

Underside painted with some frightfully gloopy Hu247 RLM76, I had to dip some from the can & thin before I could brush paint it. :angry: This photo taken on the 18th.

DSCF2728.jpg

Topsides with some colour on, I wasn't happy with the lack of contrast between Hu 242 (RLM71) & Hu241 (RLM70) so I added some Hu240 (RLM02) to it, maybe a little too much, I did 4 of 242 to 1 of 240, 5:1 might have been better, photo on the 22nd

DSCF2729.jpg

but once I put some Hu 242 (RLM70) on in the Fw190 camo pattern, I was not too unhappy with it. Photo today

DSCF2730.jpg

The prop & rear canopy are just sitting there for show

Steve.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There has been progress, I'm pretty much done painting & just for a moral booster I've put on the main markings, just stencils & Nowotny's personal & rank markings to go on, it should be finished early next week. Just noticed a touch up will be required on the

near upper wing cross, must have happened as I was removing an ingrowing cotton bud whisker.

DSCF2732.jpg

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 4

I calling this done as of today. There're some things I could be happier about with it, the Chevron decals were out of register, something that wasn't obvious on the decal sheet, & are not quite the correct style, something Eduard seem to have got right according to the only photo I've been able to see of this aircraft on the net. That same photo gave me a moment of panic when I realised it had inner gear doors, something the Hasegawa kit being based on a A-8 version doesn't have. Luckily I have an Eduard A-8 kit which won't need these doors so I was able to poach these, I then had to square up the corner of the wheel well, which saw me chopping thru into the wing interior, happily able to be filled with some white glue, all this after painting the undersides & wheel bays. :(. Decals were a mix of Hasegawa for the main markings & Hobby Boss for the aircraft specific ones, I should've known they'd be inaccurate. :unsure: That said, they went on better than the Hasegawa ones which did their best to silver, it took some work to prevent this. The first long skinny wing walk way decal broke into 4 pieces so I treated the rest to some Microscale decal film. Much better after that.  Just a couple of quick piccies for now, I'll take some better ones tomorrow when I've some daylight, to go in the gallery.

DSCF2745

DSCF2740

So there it is, I like the look of it, it is what it is & something I've wanted to do for ages. Next please! :)

Steve.

• Like 1