Dark Defender - Airfix 1/72 Defiant (New tool)

Good Evening one and all,

Just thought I'd share a few pics of this build hot off the bench this afternoon. Airfix new 1/72 Defiant built straight out of the box, my only deviation being a set of Eduard Masks for that pesky greenhouse turret and canopy (there was no way I was doing that myself!). This was an on/off build for me but could easily be done in a couple of days.

I chose the night fighter scheme as I like black aircraft and the shark mouth was a bonus. Painted Tamiya NATO black and certain panels picked out in slightly different shades to break up the plain finish. Panel wash was a mix of light and dark grey Flory washes, panel edges and chips done with a graphite pencil, and some pastels for exhaust streaksand underside dirt/grime.

Anyway I hope you like her, need to get back to some jets next, enjoy the pic's and feel free to comment/critique as you wish.

7181AD15-2FC2-454A-810E-A10C992887CD_zps

6B194155-3DDF-4CD8-8BCE-DD1C1C7F8C9E_zps

DA600BEA-E571-49B7-99E8-B82CD52A0911_zps

201295B0-5650-4B56-BDF8-FBF9106CF36B_zps

BA679E2B-8F7A-4C64-9A81-AAC0994A09CF_zps

875826D5-68DA-4A46-9EFF-D3BF3D1371A3_zps

Thanks for looking,

Eng

• Like 29

Looks great, most of all I really enjoy the tonal variation. Nato black always looks green to me but your work seems to nullify that. Maybe that shading and graphite work will make a big difference in my go at it.

• Like 1

Thanks folks, some very kind comments all round.

The all black colour scheme is always very appealing but tricky to pull off well, could probably have refined this a bit more but for a 1/72 quick build it ticks the boxes. Might add some paint chipping around the leading edges.

These new Airfix kits just get better and better, I can't resist the appeal of those red boxes, I had no real interest in the Defiant but the box art did it, the the all-black option was the icing on the cake.

Rgds,

Eng