'Enemy at the gate' or 'For you little piggy, the war is over'

Badder

I decided to add more foliage to the tree, partly to obscure the 'snapped' boughs and partly to make it more tree shaped! I gave the foliage a spray with Tamiya XF5 Flat Green because the Seafoam was a bit faded to say the least, and then applied a few more coats of Winsor and Newton's Galeria Acrylic Satin Varnish to the whole tree. The Satin finish is barely discernible on the leaves, (Which I didn't want to be too glossy) but it will help to reinforce everything. Meanwhile, the trunk and boughs, thus coated, are ready for further work, including the addition of more veg, followed by brown/black washes and maybe a bit of dry brushing.

962016DSC05752.jpg

When all is finally finished I will be applying yet more coats of varnish. As stated before, I am a bit wary of the durability of seafoam, so the more varnish the better, I say!

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, giemme said:

Amazing! :worthy:  And thanks for describing your technique :thumbsup2: 

Ciao

Thanks Giemme. No probs. Glad to share. If it helps anyone, I'm humbled.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

As ever Badder, your tree/foliage work is amazing. Thank you for the explanation of how you do them. It does look amazing! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks Stix.

I carried on work with the tree today and decided to add more Seafoam. I've also started on the base, applying the first layer of Polyfilla. Before pouring it, I formed a doughnut ring of Blu-Tac around the hole in the base where the tree is inserted. With the hole protected, I can continue work on the base without the tree in place. Pics to follow shortly.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Extra seafoam added to improve thickness and spread of foliage.

662914DSC05753.jpg

625854DSC05754.jpg

Doughnut of Blu-Tac to form a dam around the hole through which the tree will be inserted. First layer of Polyfilla poured and roughly spread with lollipop stick.

959130DSC05755.jpg

TFL.

Badder

• Like 4

Today, I shall be building up the ground with more Polyfilla. I aim to build up a banked area around the tree, held back by a dilapidated dry-stone wall. The wall will be scratch-built using plasticard; the method Identical to the one I used in my  Carry on Regardless dio. I will post pics of the process here as well though, when I reach that stage. But that won't be for a few days yet. I also plan to raise the ground at the nearside right corner of the vignette, so that a 'sunken' track cuts diagonally across the vignette from back right to front left.

Pics of today's progress will posted later.

TFL

Badder

• Like 1

Looking excellent so far and it sounds like you have some interesting plans for today's work. I look forward to seeing the photos later.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Raised the ground around the tree with polyfilla, removed the blu-tac dam. Blu-tac dam in position front right in readiness for raising the ground there. I've dropped the R75 into the photo just for scale.

805225DSC05768.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Your composition for this vignette looks spot on - very natural. :thumbsup:

49 minutes ago, giemme said:

Agreed. That tree is just outstanding! :worthy:

Ciao

Thanks guys, though I am wondering if I should dump the BMW R75 and shove my Sherman or the StuG in there instead! :innocent:.(The Sherman was started after the opening of this GB)

Legs it.

Badder

Entirely unhappy with the figures in Tamiya's BMW r/75 and sidecar kit both for their poor detailing and awful posing, (This kit is as old as my hairy armpits at nearly 40yrs) I very quickly came to the decision that they should be replaced. What with, or in what 'scene', I was unsure. Clearly all thoughts of a winter scene had evaporated some time ago, hence the tree in foliage. The .'Casualty evacuation' figures were fine for this vignette and I considered maybe having a casualty in the sidecar as well; the whole group surrendering to American Gi's

Having thought of many other different scenarios, using other figures from my stash, I have decided that this WILL be the scene.

So, I have the casualty being carried in a tarp, I do have American Gi's featuring a medic (Dragon  'advance to the rhine') But I had no Bike rider. So, a trip to the money-pit was called for. Here's what I got.

382539DSC05769.jpg

I think the kit may have been re-tooled back in 2000? I'm not entirely sure, but the instruction sheet was copyrighted back then. I know the original kit is almost as old as my hairy crotch. Whichever, the figure detailing and poses are really quite good. A little re-modelling of the 'push-bike rider at full pelt' will hopefully become the BMW rider. If not then the 'standing' figure will become the 'dismounted BMW rider holding onto the motorbike's handlebars and chatting to a GI.' I may be able to make a 2nd wounded soldier from the remaining figures or parts thereof.

Whatever, this build has expanded into much more than I had originally intended! (but then all my dioramas 'evolve' as well)

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

920135DSC05770.jpg

319033DSC05771.jpg

So I've spent the past few hours cannibalising figures to replace the wounded sidecar passenger. I had already removed his 'crazy' Tamiya right leg. He is pictured top-middle in the photo above. His new (detached) right leg (or left as we look at him) comes from the original motorcycle rider shown to his right. I then sliced through the passenger's waist, and his torso (as well as head and arms) will be replaced by those taken from one of the bicycle rider's. (replacement torso pictured to his left) The passenger will be wrapped in a blanket. Bottom left is one of the dismounted bicycle riders, and bottom right, another (of which 2 are included in the kit) The other bicycle rider (the one pedalling hell-for-leather) will not be used in this kit after all.... because.... I have come up with a variation on the theme of this vignette!The 'new theme' for this vignette:

American soldiers on a recce have advanced through a country estate and have stopped at the ornamental gates (These will be sourced from 'iron railings' taken from a MiniArt 'ruined village house' kit) In the distance they see a BMW and sidecar under a waved white flag, together with a group of German infantry carrying a wounded soldier. The Americans take cover behind a wall and a tree while their radio operator contacts HQ and reports on the situation. Soon, the BMW draws nearer... the white flag waving and shouts of 'Nicht Schussen! We surrender' shouted. Under close scrutiny through binoculars, it can be seen that all of the Germans are unarmed. and they are allowed to approach the locked gates. The BMW rider dismounts and, still grasping the handlebars of his BMW, speaks to an American Medic opposite asking for help and offering their unconditional surrender. A couple of Gi's cover the Germans with their rifles. Meanwhile the four walking wounded approach with a fifth carried in a tarpaulin.... All looks to be straightforward...

But beneath the sidecar rider's blanket is hidden a weapon, another is strapped to the blind-side of the BMW and yet more weapons are stashed within the tarpaulin...... dud duh durrrrrrrrrrr!

TFL

Badder

:oops:This vignette was supposed to be quick and simple!

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

I normally hate doing figures. It takes me an age to get their faces to something approaching a below-average standard. I will probably succeed in doing the same here, only I will have nearly a dozen of them to mess up!

For now though, I have fitted the sidecar rider's right leg and filled the gaps with green putty. His legs fit nice and snug inside the sidecar. I have also cleaned up the 'ornamental gates'. Next, I will be making the gate posts and settling on their position in the vignette. Once that's settled I'll construct the walls.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder

8 hours ago, Carius said:

Excellent tree work indeed.

Waiting for more progress...

53 minutes ago, CliffB said:

It's interesting to see how this build is evolving Badder :popcorn:

Cliff

Cheers

Thanks guys. I'll be as quick as I can!

Rearguards,

Badder

Sorry peeps, but I've had third thoughts about the scenario! It was a nice idea, but I just can't fit 10-12 figures on the base without severe over-crowding and hence a lack of believability. So, I've ditched the 'surrendering to Americans' idea and have reverted to the simple 'casualty evacuation' scenario. Simply, the BMW has stopped at the ornamental gates and the rider has dismounted to open them and let the others through. 

Badder

Barring more indecisiveness from me, this should be the final lay-out of the scene. There will be other features added. as already stated: a wall, gate posts, and as promised a bush made using my 'fishing line' method.

235351DSC05789.jpg

TFL

Badder

• Like 4

9 hours ago, whitestar12chris said:

I do like your layout for this

All the best Chris

Thanks Chris.

After a disastrous day with a wasted 5 hr train journey, the central-heating packing up and the clutch gone on my car, I've hidden myself away from the world and have begun painting the figures.

Badder.

• Like 1