Meggit RM-30 target towing pod

hi all,

Here are some photos of my scratch-built Meggit RM-30 target towing pod in 1/48. My friend Markus mastered the pod and target holder and i did the fan. I then made masters of these parts so that i can cast more in resin if required.

The overall assembly was done using flattened Albion Alloys tubing.

I know that Markus has one on his forthcoming Skyhawk that will be on show in the competition in Telford this year (no pressure to finish it !!).

Hope you like it and if you are interested buying one, pm me. Mods - sorry if this is in the wrong place but the for sale section didn't seem right.

thanks

Andy

IMG_5615_zps1ngxun8p.jpg

IMG_5619_zpsulilzwov.jpg

IMG_5616_zpszxkyes1d.jpg

IMG_5620_zpsh0dyjpxc.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

HI Richard,

the tease has gone on long enough, so here is the full plane minus the target. It's the 1/48 Hasegawa kit which builds up okay, but is a little bland with the panel detail

U-36_zpsgwcojfsj.jpg

U-36-6_zpsu2xndrux.jpg

Andy

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 6

You say the Lear jet us a little bland with little panel detail, but then so is the real thing. You only really see the nose bay panels, nacelle panels and door.

Great, colourful paint job though. :thumbsup:

You say the Lear jet us a little bland with little panel detail, but then so is the real thing. You only really see the nose bay panels, nacelle panels and door.

Great, colourful paint job though. :thumbsup:

Hi Shar2,

You're right and i guess if i made another or modified this one, i would rescribe what panels there are to make the crisper, then use a wash to bring them out a bit. I have learnt a lot since this was built.

cheers

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

What is a target towing pod anyway? I didnt find any reference to it on wikipedia....

I do know that some jets pull targets for live fire exercises but the target couldnt possibly be a red rocket in this case, right?

And why are the wing tip tanks, whatever, so big.

No comprendo.

PS, first time I heard about target towing was that done by the Venezuelan air force in the past when they had F-5s (which I belive did the towing), Mirages and F-16s in their arsenal. Now they have only F-16s and Su-30s fighters. I also believe the F-16s were retrofitted with turbines from Samsung, or so I once read on the newspaper thinking it might be a typo. And if almost none of those F-16s were combat worthy back in 2005 according to DEA related people, much less should those be combat worthy now, like Iran's F-14s but probably worse.

15 hours ago, AlbertoYagi said:

What is a target towing pod anyway? I didnt find any reference to it on wikipedia....

I do know that some jets pull targets for live fire exercises but the target couldnt possibly be a red rocket in this case, right?

And why are the wing tip tanks, whatever, so big.

No comprendo.

PS, first time I heard about target towing was that done by the Venezuelan air force in the past when they had F-5s (which I belive did the towing), Mirages and F-16s in their arsenal. Now they have only F-16s and Su-30s fighters. I also believe the F-16s were retrofitted with turbines from Samsung, or so I once read on the newspaper thinking it might be a typo. And if almost none of those F-16s were combat worthy back in 2005 according to DEA related people, much less should those be combat worthy now, like Iran's F-14s but probably worse.

Hi Alberto,

if if you type meggitt rm-30 into Google, you will see the pod. it contains a reel of wire and the orange target is unreeled behind the plane during flight. I am not sure if the target contains any electronics or ecm, but the model is accurate for what the JMSDF use. 

The he hasegawa kit shows one on the box, but it is not in the kit. One wing pod contains electronics and the other has a light in the front. These are modified from the Lear fuel tanks both in the kit and on the real plane. the kit contains resin piece for these and the underbelly pod

hope this helps,

andy

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 1