Hasegawa Jaguar XJR9 IMSA

This will be a straight out of the box build just because I want something nice and easy to do for once.

I really love the look of this old jag in castrol colours

Not much more I can say really apart from this will I think be my first hasegawa car but they look like reboxed revell kits so shouldn't be too hard

The box

20160829_131330_zpsal6mlhyu.jpg

The decals look pretty nice

20160829_131404_zps2uhqdlji.jpg

The body is nice though a little basic

20160829_131342_zpsceqlseef.jpg

I said above I wanted a straight from the box build but that's never really going to happen so I started with this

20160829_133542_zps07uwp7af.jpg

And ended up with this

20160829_133551_zps8aw80c1g.jpg

More soon

Shaun

• Like 5

Revell reboxed a lot of Hasegawa kits. Not sure if they ever boxed this one though lol.

I've always wondered whether the tamiya or hasegawa was the better kit? The Hase ones always seem to be the cheaper ones though lol.

I'll watch along if that's OK

Ashley

Thanks guys and ashley your right it was revell reboxing old hasegawa kits and revell for some reason never redid any of the old jags, which is a shame really as the old silk cut ones would be great to have again now.

And griffsrw I have the plan to do a 1991 no.35 jaguar from the tamiya kit soon, I just need more reference and the plan on how to modify the tamiya xjr9 properly.

So on to this I have painted the floor pan with green and semi gloss black

20160831_125759_zpspiolsfki.jpg

The body is more or less ready for painting now, I just want to run round the panel lines to deepen them slightly as they are pretty shallow

20160831_125953_zpsul3s7db5.jpg

And finally for today I have airbrushed the rims and fitted the tyres

20160831_182637_zpsuxw0jzfj.jpg

More soon

Shaun

• Like 2

So much for a quick build it's getting very close to being 2 weeks and I'm still no where near decals

But with saying that I have finally managed to paint the body in vw white

20160908_171753_zpsqy5fpgoo.jpg

Clear coat soon then some decals

Shaun

• Like 3

For the 1991 car there's the chance of an interesting racing/aviation crossover. Wasn't it at Daytona that several cars carried various tributes to US units in The Gulf. The TWR cars paid homage to the RAF Jaguars.

Edited by Vicarage Vee

Thanks guys and I have been looking through the history of the jag chassis numbers online to check the cross over of imsa and lemans and there was something about that in the blurb for the later cars.

Shaun

So much for a quick build it's getting very close to being 2 weeks and I'm still no where near decals

Two weeks??? I only wished I was able to make that much progress in that amount of time. I'd only be at about the 5-10% completed line. Lookin good by the way.

Edited by mustang1989

Nice start! I just went over to my LHS and bought the re-release of Hasegawa's XJR-8 LM and it had the actual Silk Cut decals included! Still like the Castrol scheme better though.

I now regret not picking the one I saw at a show at the weekend up :(

Oh well. There's always the next show lol

Ashley

Thanks for the kind words guys I would pick one up again if I saw one but only for making a different car you will know very soon as to why. 

So finally I have started working on this again by micro meshing the body before decals so I have a nice smooth surface to work with 

20160920_182213_zpsx8xiocfc.jpg

And finally a quick mock up with the chassis and wheels 

20160920_182300_zps5z7vxe2n.jpg

So why would I not like to build this exact car again and why have I got so little to show for in pictures, the hasegawa decals are crap they are very thin and break ridiculously easy. With that I have only managed to get 2 decals on with 1 being the world's biggest pain in the bottom.

More soon 

Shaun

Ahh I see the dreaded Hase hit and miss decals have struck again. I would ask if these are before or after the change to Cartograf ones but I've had issues with both in the past. 

I hope your situation is salvageable.

Ashley 

Edited by MetroRacing

Ashley you are right about the decals with hasegawa kits, I made the lotus 79 they did a couple of years ago and they were great on that even on some of the mid 00s rally cars they made were really good but on this they are just more hassle than its worth. After I did around 5 decals last night and thus morning I put some decal liquid on the rest just to try and salvage them.

Here's how bad they have gone so far 

The 2 green areas on the front ripped in a couple of places the worst being just in front of where the windscreen will go and to top it off I though I may be able to hide most of the bad bits with the castrol logo but yep you guessed it that ripped too 

20160921_123147_zpsk6ggxbsa.jpg

The side was both good and bad all in 1 decal, most of it sat down really nice but near the front it ripped on a really small raised bit before I could get near it with microsol 

20160921_123157_zpsvu4ykjtw.jpg

So much for a nice an easy build 

More to come soon, hopefully more positive than negative though 

Shaun

• Like 1

Good news!!!

I have made in roads with the decals, if you have read above you will know I had massive problems with the decals breaking up but have found a solution without pulling all my hair out or using every swear word imaginable. I need to soak them for longer (around 60 seconds) in pretty warm water, when I say warm I mean bath temperature hot not hour old tea hot, and this has seemed to keep most intact with no real downside. 

Here's the car now.

20160924_174631_zpshxhgb9fv.jpg

Only the small logos along the green aras are needed now. 

Something funny I did notice only after I applied the first of the decals, the rear wing plane decals are the reverse colours. The top plane should be red and main green but the decals are the opposite so a day or 2 is now needed to get the wing bits painted. 

More soon 

Shaun

• Like 1