The Canberra that couldn't. 1/48 Airfix Canberra B.2

Well, I got it because I was tired of waiting for new Airfix releases. This summer was bone dry, I surmise due to their financial troubles. So when they said they were rereleasing the Cannie, I said what the hell. Turns out there is just took much disparity in the quality of older Airfix and new Airfix. It's night and day. This wasn't a very good kit. I mean I enjoyed the build, but not nearly as much as I have their new tool stuff. This kit is just too big to be this bland. The for was good, but not so good as the new tools. The bomb bay doors were terrible. Party due to my mistakes, yea but I haven't had that kind of issue with other bay doors. Could I have made them fit better? Yes. Was I too lazy to even bother? Absolutely. At any rate, she's done, two star kit.

02C59FCF-EA4F-4A7A-BCBC-D26FCD7832B8.jpg

2ED2E4AB-B62C-494F-B928-6D7411CEB482.jpg

6E9FA353-CED5-4C37-9007-963721761121.jpg

B5063DBE-5061-4B78-9529-B021C6BF1A48.jpg

A80FF406-C1C0-4CA2-8BD4-466850624A19.jpg

375F256E-D929-4607-A1C1-951068C8C210.jpg

0ED48104-FCB2-4147-9669-5318833BAC33.jpg

78401FFC-BF30-49CD-B2AB-E11FED25A3BE.jpg

A2070244-A85F-4577-A2FB-85983FD66291.jpg

• Like 43

I'll agree that this wasn't Airfix'x finest hour. The fit and (in)accuracy issues are well documented on this and other fora.

I think you've over done the weathering and washing though: most contemporary images of early Canberras show clean and either gloss or satin overall finish and very little war and tear, apart from staining from the starter cartridges on the front fuselage. Panel lines are generally almost invisible, even close up.

If those are the kit transfers they look a damn sight better than those in the original issue.

• Like 1

It doesn't look too bad from here and at least you blokes have GOT a Canberra in 1/48 scale. Come on some one, how about one in 1/72 scale, make that one that I can afford.

Well done, Trev.

• Like 1

Nice Canberra great finish and weathering despite the problems.

Guy

• Like 1

I'll agree that this wasn't Airfix'x finest hour. The fit and (in)accuracy issues are well documented on this and other fora.

I think you've over done the weathering and washing though: most contemporary images of early Canberras show clean and either gloss or satin overall finish and very little war and tear, apart from staining from the starter cartridges on the front fuselage. Panel lines are generally almost invisible, even close up.

If those are the kit transfers they look a damn sight better than those in the original issue.

You know, I had the same thought, but my ref pics showed otherwise. I couldn't find a pic of this particular aircraft, but I did find another, later pic of a 100 Sqn bird, and it definitely showed significant weathering. This being mostly an art project, I just went for a happy medium. I didn't even post weather with the makeup sets, like I normally do. As soon as I find a bin big enough, I'll stick it in there and on the shelf somewhere. I don't plan on building another.

I'm a subject modeler for the most part, and many towns I build a subject I'm not familiar with and come to appreciate or like it more. This really wasn't the case with this one. Sorry, Canberra fans 😐 It just didn't grab me. But I do appreciate it more now. This had a long service history, lots of varied uses, and even more schemes. So I get why there are many fans of this jet.

You've done an amazing job on what you rightly say was one of Airfixs' 'B-team' efforts.

Looks fantastic.

Weathering looks good to me, some of the early Canberras were well weathered

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

Hi Habu12

It's nice to see another Canberra build, personally I can't get enough of them :) I agree with all you say about the kit and more, but despite it all you've turned out a nice model. I won't get into the weathering and panel line debate as it's very much a personnel choice, I've attached a photo of WD986,make up your own minds.

WD986%20C%20B2%20100SQD%202_zpsljsa0c6n.

John

• Like 2

Hi Habu12

It's nice to see another Canberra build, personally I can't get enough of them :) I agree with all you say about the kit and more, but despite it all you've turned out a nice model. I won't get into the weathering and panel line debate as it's very much a personnel choice, I've attached a photo of WD986,make up your own minds.

WD986%20C%20B2%20100SQD%202_zpsljsa0c6n.

John

Thanks for the pic! I couldn't find one for the life of me. Like I said, I did find one from a little later time period, and I followed that look for this build. The unexpected problem I've had is that it doesn't fit into any of my storage boxes! I've got to get a bigger size that I don't currently have.