First Civilian Aircraft

celt

Hi I have been making models on and off since I was six, forty odd years later and I have not made a civilian aircraft. :banghead: I think its time I made one. Can anyone out there recommend one for first attempt. :please::thanks:

It depends one what you like, your budget, comfort level with gloss white and natural metal, and available display space. The more recent Zvezda kits such as the 787, IL-62, TU-134 and A320 are really excellent. The 777 is also good, but takes up a lot of real estate on the shelf :)

Minicraft's DC-8 and MD-80 kits are also excellent. If you like propliners, the Roden Brittania and DC-3 are good, and so is the Minicraft DC-4 and the Recent Revell Constellation.

Prop liners opens up quite a few options. Amodel has released quite a large line of Russian civil transport props (An-8, -10, -24 to name a few). There's an Airfix 1/72 Fokker f27 that I built a while ago and it's a rather charming build with a lot of aftermarket choices. F-RSIN does all sorts of props, like the ATR 72, embraer brasilia, Martin 202, dornier 328 (also in the jet variant), and the vickers viscount, to name a few. I assume you have some experience with resin so F-RSIN kits shouldn't be much trouble. Revell released a 1/72 Twin Otter (DHC-6) that can be made up into a fine model. RusAir also has released several Tupolev/Antonov props, but they are also in resin. Italeri has an ATR 42, but I haven't heard many "rave reviews", it seems to be "just another kit". You might also want to take a look at Welsh Models, as they have many propliners. These are just a small handful of what there is to build. Hope you find the right kit for you and enjoy building it!

Drew

In that case I'd recommend the Revell Constellation or the Minicraft DC-4. They're both non-complicated and manageable in size.

Revell's coming out with a DC-4 boxing of their superlative C-54 kit later this year if you like 1/72, or there's the Airfix DC-3 kit, although I hear that needs a bit of persuading to get the wing roots looking nice.

In that case I'd recommend the Revell Constellation or the Minicraft DC-4. They're both non-complicated and manageable in size.

Revell's coming out with a DC-4 boxing of their superlative C-54 kit later this year if you like 1/72, or there's the Airfix DC-3 kit, although I hear that needs a bit of persuading to get the wing roots looking nice.

After tackling the Revell C-54. Not for the faint hearted!

The price on kits today,I have to choose one that literally falls together or I will end up throwing against the wall. My chubby fingers cause all sorts of problems.The mind is willing but but the body says lets have a beer instead. :drink:

• Like 1

The good old Airfix Vanguard isn't a bad kit although the nose needs to be reshaped. It's a bit of a blank canvas but can be made into a decent model with a bit of effort. The main thing is it's not too expensive (£11.99 from Hannants) and it's readily available.

If you can get hold of them most Minicraft propliners are pretty good, the main exception being the Electra. The DC-4 which Jessica mentions is a little gem.

There are several propliners in the current Airliner III Group Build if you want to see how other modellers are getting on before you commit yourself.

• Like 1