A-10 Thunderbolt II - external differences between the A-10A & A-10C?

bootneck

Are there any/many external differences between the A-10A Thunderbolt and the A-10C? I have an A-10A kit which I want to build as an A-10C. It is only 1:144 scale so I'm not looking for the minutiae but anything big and obvious when completed.

Thanks

Mike

Hi, I've seen them (A-10C's) with them on and off, best check the ref's for the one you want to model. Probably what you'll be looking at is the LASTE upgrade which features some lumps and bumps of ECM dotted around the airframe (wing tips and base of the vertical stabs) and there is a noticeable bump behind the cockpit hood and a chunky T shaped antenna behind that. Have a look at the pics in Alpha Delta 210's and Tiger331's threads HERE and HERE.

Yes……The Pave Penny pod and the pylon its mounted on have both gone. All that is now left on the airframe is four bolts where the pylon used to go……In 1:144 scale, its pretty insignificant but the only other prominent feature on the A-10C is the RWR set up on the extreme tail…like this.

IMG_0676.jpg

Thanks both,

it's always great to ask on here, especially if you have very little knowledge of the subject build. Both of sets of photo's, from Alpha Delta and Tiger331 are really good and will be of real help to me. Thanks also to Bentwaters for pointing out the Penny Pave detail.

Interestingly, when I was on Forward Air Control (FAC), we used to talk these brutes on to tank targets on the ground but I never got to see them any lower than about 250ft; and never had my camera with me :banghead:

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...