Emcha - a red Sherman

Foxbat

Inspired by a grown up build in the GPW group build, I'm going to attempt the Zvezda M4A2 Sherman in Soviet markings on Monday. Should be quite a challenge given I'm at a beer festival on Sunday and the Tall Ships festival on Monday afternoon.

Andy

• Like 3

First up, the box and my phone, showing the start time. You can still see the seals on the right hand end of box. Sixteen hours, minus the time I'm out, so call it ten hours. Tight, but possible.

S01.jpg

Sprue shot. Zvezda have really thought about the engineering in these little kits - everything push fits onto a central frame, or it would if it hadn't been damaged in transit. I've taken the first couple of pieces off, and the repaired frame is arrowed at the top right.

S02.jpg

Fifteen minutes in and I have a complete turret.

S03.jpg

You can see how the frame works here. One of the front lugs goes right through the glacis and is the hull MG and mount. I said it was clever :)

DSC01621.jpg

42 minutes in and that is construction essentially complete. It may take another 30 seconds or so to attach the tracks once they're painted, and it's the painting that will take the time.

S05.jpg

Especially since this is the first coat :o I've dunked my brushes in a bottle of Humbrol Decalfix. Works wonders on restoring brushes that are getting a bit stiff from overuse with acrylic paints. Photos I've seen seem to show these Shermans in 4BO, the same as Soviet built tanks, but I might resort to US olive green for speed if a second coat is as bad as the first.

S06.jpg

Speed building little tanks is surprisingly good therapy for a hangover :)

Andy

I'm not drunk.

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 4

Ahem. Got a bit carried away at the festival. Sank may beers, stopped to see a gig on the way home too, so only just back on this. Two hours and 11 minutes may be cutting it too fine now,but nothing ventured...

• Like 1

I think I'm going to have to call this a fail. I have to paint the myriad tyres, and make a token effort on the details, then slap a few decals on. I left myself too much to do in the time, but getting 90% of the way there in two and a half building hours gives me confidence a more organised builder could have walked this. I think it'll appear in an RFI hereabouts before the week is out.

S07.jpg

Andy

Dr Disorganised

Edited by Foxbat