Revell DHC-6 Twin Otter

bull-nut

An older kit I think, matchbox re-pop? Still, fairly simple build, and with SWMBO and kids away with IL's for the weekend there should be no distractions. I'll be building OOB, as a 440sqn RCAF bird, as either a ski or floatplane, because I really hate painting white.

• Like 6

What's with all the Twotter love here recently? Seems to be squadrons of them on benches!

Good luck, have fun! And yes, they're an old Matchbox mould. I have a sadly large number of them in the stash, awaiting a production line build to cover some decal sheets.

Maybe it's because they are still being built for real in Canada by Viking. Lots of exotic colour schemes too!

Indeed they are - like the Caribou, there's nothing available that will fully replace a Twin Otter. My personal favourite is the short nose -6 on floats - they just look so right.

Meanwhile, on with the build, if the OP would be so kind!

As you asked, does anyone know if the RCAF used the short nose float version? If not maybe I'll make it a WHIF!

Edit: Found one, so short nose and floats it is. Looking through the image search, I may have to pick up another half dozen or so of these, so many different schemes! Of course SWMBO may not be too keen, a day out or two may be in order ;)

Edited by bull-nut

Well. work has begun. I'll be doing this over 2 periods, as I have been awake for 26hours as at this photo, and have some time left to go yet.

20160827_161647.jpg

The cockpit and main-planes are built, primer was drying on the interior surfaces while I post this, so it should be ready to continue by now.

20160827_173041.jpg

• Like 4

Well, construction is complete as of now, need to get some fine shot to weight the nose in the morning, or I may just leave it and set her into a waterway later.

20160828_010355.jpg

The odd attitude is because the glue is still setting on the floats.

Once the weight is in, next step will be masking the windows and a blast of yellow colour primer.

Right now though, 35 hours is waaaayy too long for me to go without sleep, so it's off to bed for me.

Edited by bull-nut
  • Like 2

King Kit are a good source for Twin Otters. They supplied my last batch of 3.

Problem? Me? No, I dont have a problem. Not at all.

As they say (well, as I say) .........

if you have a problem with my problem, that's your problem

'coz I'm in denial, and that is a whole different problem to the one you have,

perhaps you should see a Doctor about your problem :fight:

• Like 1

Thanks guys, the trick I find is to stay busy. Once I'm past 24 hours, I tend to drop off if I'm not actively doing something. That and lots of fresh coffee.

Work has continued with me emptying the last of my Halfords white primer onto the floats, I'm off to get some more, and when it's dry I'll mask and spray the yellow.

Edit: Or not. turns out Tamiya Extra thin wasn't the best glue to use for this build, I guess the parts tolerances are too big. While masking the floats, two strut joints and the stbd upper finlet came loose. No big deal, they have been re-attached with Revell contacta, and while that sets good and solid, I'm spraying the newish Tamiya 1/48 Humber with SCC2 service brown, turns out it is lighter than I thought :shrug:

Edited by bull-nut
  • Like 1

Finally got the float struts to stay put, I resorted to CA in the end. Yellow coat on courtesy of Army Painter rattle-can. The camera washed out the colour somewhat, its a richer yellow IRL.

IMAG0075.jpg

Time to mask up for the red.

Edited by bull-nut
  • Like 3

All done now. I really wish I'd saved the Tamiya Humber for this though, that was not a nice kit to get done in the time allotted, and I will NOT be doing another one.

Still, it doesn't look too bad,

20160828_224825.jpg88

More pics in the gallery thread

• Like 3