Fiat Ansaldo M13-40 in 1/72

Greg in OK

You guys are crazy! .... so of course I am in.

:banghead:

I decided to do a build that also fits in the current Mediterranean group build, sort of a "twofer".

The Aurora ESCI Fiat-Ansaldo M13-40 tank in 1/72 scale.

IMG_7072_zpsmqaxydkh.jpg

I chose this kit for a couple of reasons, it fits the Mediterranean Group Build that I am already building an airplane for, I previously built the a 1/35 scale Fiat M13-40 so I already have a bunch of photos for this tank, it is decent tank that was both overshadowed and over powered by it's opposition (the "underdog factor") and, most importantly, I think I can build it in 24 hours!

I have adjusted the start times for the proper Oklahoma time (6 hours difference) and I an ready for the starting bell.

Greg in OK

Edited by Greg in OK
  • Like 4

I did it! And it only took 22 hours and 51 minutes!

I started at 4:48 pm Oklahoma time (we have a 6 hour time difference between here and England) as shown by my wife's phone...

Statr_zpsvjxq9011.jpg

I put a few subassemblies put together and headed out to dinner (and perhaps a drink or two), we got back in time to get a few steps closer...end of my day, 11:02 pm.

3%20at%201102%20pm_zpsv8ycnrw4.jpg

I added a few more times in the morning but then had to pack it all away for the short trip home from Oklahoma City.

4%20at%20847%20am_zpsccpvwuh8.jpg

How did I never notice this during the drive home before??

5%20at%20932%20am_zpsxr7usylk.jpg

Back home and unpacked, I finished the major subassemblies...

6%20at%201127%20am_zpsxgrmqxkm.jpg

This kit had HUGE gaps, mostly in the casemate area of the hull. Fiddly and poor fitting I had to fill the gaps as best I could...

7%20at%20100%20pm_zpseg3ecwvo.jpg

Filled and sanded, but it is almost one so time is growing short.

8%20at%20145%20pm_zps0f86jvv6.jpg

I used Tamiya rattlecan TS-3 Dark Yellow which I think is a pretty good match for Italian Gaillo Sabbia scuro. Others may disagree but I am not others so it works for me.

OH NO!!! I am to the step with the treads!! You need 8 hands, I had my wife help me so I was still 4 hands short.....

9%20at%20301%20pm_zpsrmqjtifh.jpg

With my wife's help I finished at 3:39 pm, only 22 hours and 51 minutes after I started. I still want to make those treads look a nicer but regardless, I finished uder 24 hours!

91%20at%20339%20pm%20Finish_zpsxzb85ndk.

A fun group build, I really enjoyed it!

Greg in OK

• Like 2