Bf 109E - a bank-holiday blitz vignette

Dave_R

Hi all,

Inspired by the intrepid souls taking part in the Blitz Group Build this weekend, I'm going to attempt my own less ambitious version of a blitz build and try and finish this before Tuesday morning.

bf%20109e%2001_zps4xaahlkd.jpg

It's going to be a simple airfield scene with this nearly finished Airfix Bf 109E, three figures and a scratch-built camera. Probably - unless I change my mind :confused:.

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R
  • Like 2

well.... I've got roughly the look I was after - mostly.

bf%20109e%2004_zpsbaipv6ul.jpg

bf%20109e%2005_zpsjz2xkum9.jpg

It took me a while to get the hang of using the paint mask, but in the end it worked out OK. Unfortunately to begin with I managed to get a few big blobs of paint where I didn't want them, a couple on the rear right and one on left front. Also the overspray onto the green is far more than I wanted - that will have to be repainted. I think I need to get one of those turntable thingys for next attempt, unless I grow a third hand that is.

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R
  • Like 1

Take Two,

So I checked my reference photos (there's a couple of photos of this aircraft on-line), and I had totally forgotten that it was also heavily mottled with Dunkelgrun as well.

So I masked it all up again and ............

bf%20109e%2007_zpspmkau6fh.jpg

bf%20109e%2006_zpsstpa6ylz.jpg

Better I think.

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R
  • Like 2

For those interested, :shrug:

today, I have mostly been:-

:headphones: listening to Radio 4, the Vuelta A Espana and David Bowie....

:eat: eating 2 pieces of toast and some peanuts....

and

:beer: drinking 1 can of Beer, 1 Rum and Coke and 1 Gin and Tonic - don't judge me!

But, now I'm hungry and need to eat................

Edited by Dave_R

Hi all,

Here's the state of play at the moment.

The 109 still needs most of the stencils putting on, aerials etc. finishing and weathering.

bf%20109e%2012_zpsqtxccyl2.jpg

.... but it's time to turn the focus onto the figures and base.

bf%20109e%2010_zps2yeqdbsz.jpg

The base is going to be really simple - that's all there is to it.

bf%20109e%2011_zpsvnwexkvw.jpg

Dave.

• Like 1

Hi all

An update:-

bf%20109e%2013_zpsd9dhl9nj.jpg

This particular 109 was based at Gela in Sicily. Photos show an airfield that seems to have little grass on it and is mostly a sandy sort of terrain - so that's what I was going for.

The Luftwaffe personnel look as if they've been hitting the Schnapps hard - hopefully they'll look better tomorrow.

Dave.

• Like 2

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind comments.

Bull-nut - Yep, 1/48th - in fact it's the first 1/48th kit I've finished in at least 30 years!

Here's where things stand at the moment.

The pilot figure is representing Oberleutnant Joachim Müncheberg, the other figure on the right is an anonymous Signal magazine photographer and the figure on the left is the Luftwaffe equivalent of an "Erk" with his bucket after cleaning the aces machine.

bf%20109e%2014_zpsi4d4dafs.jpg

Progress was slow today - more flippin' stencils and still 15 odd to go, the enamels I used on the figures were slow to dry and I had to cut the *%@king grass (real grass that is, you know outside the house). So I'm not calling this finished - I mean the photographer doesn't even have a camera.

I didn't get it finished, but by setting a challenge I got far more done than I would otherwise - so I'm happy :D.

So, still to do:-

Make a Field Camera on a tripod. (it's the only way the pose of the figure makes sense).

Detail painting of the 109, then a nice coat of Micro-Flat and some weathering.

Finish painting the figures.

....and tart-up the base with a nice frame and stuff.

Dave.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

The bad news is that because of my M3 vignette haven't touched this since my last update.

The good news is that I'll be finishing this - and other things in the KUTA GB - (link to follow), so if you're curious check out the up coming KUTA GB.

Thanks for the comments and apologies for not getting it finished.

Dave.

• Like 1