Caudron C.448 Goeland, Paris-Saigon 1936

C448_100.jpg

I couldn't resist manipulating the photo above for a little period feel. It's the Caudron C.448 Goeland from the Paris-Saigon 1936 race. A race that none of the three participants finished...

The model is built from RS Models 1/72 kit using a mix of decals from both Renaissance and LF Models, as well as a resin rudder from LF. I went mostly with Renaissance instructions and the only small blurred reference photo I could find. With some unclear details I have simply used my imagination. There is a build thread here.

C448_101.jpg

C448_102.jpg

C448_103.jpg

C448_104.jpg

C448_105.jpg

C448_106.jpg

C448_107.jpg

C448_108.jpg

C448_109.jpg

And lastly together with a little sister, the Caudron C.635 Simoun from the Paris-Tokyo raid 1937 I built quite a number of years ago.

C448_110.jpg

• Like 29

Apart from the beautiful Mirage and modern day jets, I'm not normally a fan of French aircraft, especially the propeller driven aircraft, I've always found them to be strangely awkward in their design often looking like they've been designed by twenty different aerodynamicists ..... all with different ideas!! However, I do like the look of this one, very pleasant lines and in that scheme quite beautiful. I Love the black and white photo too, it looks suitably nostalgic and very realistic!! :Tasty::thumbsup:

Very well done Jorgen, she's a beauty!! :clap2: :clap2:

Kev :)

Edited by Mr Modeller
  • Like 1

I was curious and I googled about the race - three airplanes took place (two Goelands and Breguet 470 Fulgur) and all have to gave up due to technical problems. Last was Breguet Fulgur which crashed in Karachi. Something can be read here:

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1936/1936%20-%202932.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breguet_470

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2