Bandai 1-12 C-3PO...

Caerbannog

I was shortly before entering something out of Kinder Surprise but will (again) go further out on a limb and enter Bandais C-3PO:

C3PO%201_zps7wskseab.jpg

This weekend we have very nice weather here (at last) and wife and kid are at home... So even this snap tite like kit might be challenging as I plan to add lights to the eyes - and have only a few vague ideas about how to do so. C-3PO will be accompanied by R2-D2 later. If the weather was awful and I had a more time I would have build both together but now I will start with C-3PO first.

So the final display piece will be both droids. I always wanted to have the two next to each other on Tantooine since I had an audio cassette with A New Hope. It was basically the sound and voices taken from the movie and then they simply added a narrator (I seem to recall it was the same who spoke Obi Wan Kenobi in the German version) - but I found it great back then. On the cover was the well known promo picture of the two (see below). This is the setting I wanted to recreate. Wanted because I now noticed that R2-D2 looks a bit different. I found another picture (again see below) which shows both droids in Mos Eisley. Screen acurate or not - this will be how I want to finish the two:

C3PO%202_zps0ykk5zs2.jpg

In order to avoid lots of trouble with copyrights I altered the pictures with a personal touch so they are now my work of art ;-). They only serve here as reference and AFAIK this should be OK :shutup: :shutup: :shutup: :shutup: :shutup:

If not they will be deleted of course.

Hope the next post will not be from jail,

René

• Like 4

OK -just quickly. I started this morning at 10:00 and have so far assembled the 4 arms and some sub assemblies. There is no reason to ask which version to build as you can swich the parts any time after assembly.

I had to go to the electronics store to get LEDs - butthey are bigggg. No idea how this will work.

I painted the belly part but used the kit decals for the knee hollows - I should have painted them too.

A bit of wash was applied to some parts.

My son accomanied me with a Level 1TIE from Revell. He has done it already.

My workspace:IMG_2054_zpsofwphhqi.jpg

IMG_2057_zpsfs2ja1d3.jpgIMG_2070_zpsqqzae5nc.jpg

IMG_2055_zpsfu5ktjt5.jpg

IMG_2056_zps15ouapj3.jpg

IMG_2066_zpsv3izvdx1.jpg

IMG_2070_zpsqqzae5nc.jpg

IMG_2068_zpsqhwyahaa.jpg

IMG_2074_zpsiqwea1s6.jpg

IMG_2077_zps33lu4q2m.jpg

Rene - in a hurry

• Like 5

I am trying to get the eyes lighted and to stow the cables but first I did not get the LEDs I wanted and only fairly thick cable. I just do not find the cable I usually use grrrr... Next problem - I gave my soldering iron to a friend - so soldering is not possible. More news later.

IMG_2083_zps5edlockx.jpg

IMG_2085_zpsldcvi18q.jpg

René

• Like 4

Now edited in blue for further explanation.

This was a hard day :-) I woke up early with a hang over (a city festival with all the dangers) and had to calculate my time precizely because of a birthday brunch. Still managed to get C-3PO done including two LEDs. Just some pictures - I will comment on them later. Need a rest ;-)

I wanted to guide the LED wires through the right leg so I assembled the left leg first to check how it goes together and how to get the wire through the single parts:

IMG_2090_zpsxkl0xopy.jpg

BlueTac hold the lenses which received a bit of gold drybrushed on. Just a hint of Gold and I am keep saying that it makes a difference.

IMG_2098_zpsumbrpqis.jpg

First lighting test with one LED. I hoped that the clear lenses of The eyes will be lit from the sides.

IMG_2097_zpsbokx3my7.jpg

But even with two coats of black inside the LED shone through the plastic.

IMG_2096_zpsaan1ehzj.jpg

So I searched on and found two LEDs in the same size and colour - why I did not arrange all I needed for this build before it started is beyond me. Here you see the inside of The front helmet part with the clear lenses and one LED each installed with super glue. And how the wires are guided through the neck piece.

IMG_2099_zpszbvuqjbh.jpg

Head, neck and body loosely assembled with wires:

IMG_2100_zpsavetwabd.jpg

I should have taken more pictures of the knee which is the trickiest part to get the wires through. The knee is build up of four parts - two beeing side covers, one big chrome plated part (you see here) and a black part which is stuck on for the knee hollow.

On the back side of the chrome plated part I cut two slots to get the wires in and covered these with the black knee hollow part. Basically easy but there is really just the space of this very thin type of cable.

IMG_2101_zpsmpfsnxma.jpg

The rest was easy - just had to drill a hole in the two parts which make a foot and one in base.

IMG_2102_zpslqtkkmuk.jpg

All that was left was to attach two of the four optional arms - a simple click each.

More in the Gallery.

Thanks for looking.

René

• Like 4

I was shortly before entering something out of Kinder Surprise but will (again) go further out on a limb and enter Bandais C-3PO:

C3PO%201_zps7wskseab.jpg

This weekend we have very nice weather here (at last) and wife and kid are at home... So even this snap tite like kit might be challenging as I plan to add lights to the eyes - and have only a few vague ideas about how to do so. C-3PO will be accompanied by R2-D2 later. If the weather was awful and I had a more time I would have build both together but now I will start with C-3PO first.

So the final display piece will be both droids. I always wanted to have the two next to each other on Tantooine since I had an audio cassette with A New Hope. It was basically the sound and voices taken from the movie and then they simply added a narrator (I seem to recall it was the same who spoke Obi Wan Kenobi in the German version) - but I found it great back then. On the cover was the well known promo picture of the two (see below). This is the setting I wanted to recreate. Wanted because I now noticed that R2-D2 looks a bit different. I found another picture (again see below) which shows both droids in Mos Eisley. Screen acurate or not - this will be how I want to finish the two:

C3PO%202_zps0ykk5zs2.jpg

In order to avoid lots of trouble with copyrights I altered the pictures with a personal touch so they are now my work of art ;-). They only serve here as reference and AFAIK this should be OK :shutup: :shutup: :shutup: :shutup: :shutup:

If not they will be deleted of course.

Hope the next post will not be from jail,

René

Whats the story with the Morris Minor in the pic? :banghead:

:oops: ... just realized that when I looked into other builds here that I should have shown some kind of time piece. :bangin: Sorry for violating the rules.

Okay, I'll do you a deal. If you don't worry about it too much, then neither will I... :)

• Like 3

Whats the story with the Morris Minor in the pic? :banghead:

Why don't you ask about the rabbit in the other? :-)

Reason is copyright thing - maybe I was a bit over nervous and maybe it is all nonsense. But this way I did not post someone elses picture but my variation of it. The Morris Minor in the picture is mine - I bought it when I was at school. Last millenium... Well mine has wheels and cannot hover of course ;)

Okay, I'll do you a deal. If you don't worry about it too much, then neither will I... :)

Thanks. :-)

René

• Like 1

Very nice build. Can't believe you had time to get an LED in as well.

The LEDs were the only tricky part - the build is very simple and requires no glue. Paint was only used for the belly part - so all I had to do is cut the parts from the tree and sick them together.

The LEDs were a different story. My electronics store only had 5 mm LEDs and rather thick cable. So I had to use some time searching where I put my stuff and then to find a way how to put the LED (I tried with one first) and how to guide the cables.

I could have build this much more quickly, had I got a day off at home. But I had not and was forced to go to a city festival and 2 Birthday parties. Now I need a day off ;-)

René