Using regular artist acrylic paint on models

CasualModel98

I was wondering if anyone has used the regular acrylic paint sold in arts and craft stores to paint their models? They usually come in tubes of paint in a box, a few pounds for a box of 12-15 colors. I like to have a variety of colors to paint with but cannot afford to buy a bottle of Tamiya, Humbrol or Mr.Color for each of the shades of red, orange, purple, yellow, green and blue. In addition you usually don't need a lot of these colors.

I was wondering if I could use these art and craft acrylics to paint the figures and small parts, while using the model acrylics to spray the model body. It is water based and I imagine it will run off and not stick. However all the usual model paints from the brands above are also water-based, so I am not sure.

Would it stick and spread evenly if I used an acrylic primer beforehand?

• Like 1

Artist acrylic is very similar to modelmakers acrylic, but it is much thicker - I think they use latex or something like that. You might find it's more translucent. The craft acrylic in the bottles is very gritty. If you were painting parts which needed a texture either might work. They would also be ideal for dioramas. But for most model painting they aren't suitable, even though they might seem more economical.

Personally i think it depends on the paint, the model below was painted with an assortment of acrylic paints, some multi-packs from B&M arts and crafts department, some Vallejo and some of the big tubes from The Works.

The model was brush painted and i found no issues.

Its a case of try it yourself, youll never know till you do. the beauty of using acrylics is that if it doesnt go on right, you can just wash it off before it drys.

DSC_2236_zpszcoa7kv5.jpg

DSC_2237_zpsiwlvgrgc.jpg

DSC_2238_zps5xgn7d6z.jpg

All the best Chris

• Like 1

We have a member in our club who uses artists acrylics exclusively, and only hairy sticks. He wins awards with his figures and dioramas. He builds just about anything: vehicles, planes, ships, and figures, but always as part of a diorama. He mixes color by what he sees, not by what some one says it should be.

I've dabbled, and frankly it's fun.

Tim

Hi CM98,

Yes, you can use artist acrylics There are a couple of articles by an artist who posts under the name sargeantx, I think his name is Chris Flodberg, or something similar on Modelwarshops.com. I've used them once and the result was the most pleasing, if inaccurate, result I have every had painting models warships. However, you have to learn about the paints and especially the difference between a paint being transparent, and opaque. It's not as straightforward as it sounds.

In addition, if you are really interested in mixing your own get a hold of a book called "Blue and Yellow Don't Make Green" by Michael Wilcox. Once you have read it and understand how colours form when paint is mixed you'll be well on your way. I read of one naval modeller who painted all his ships using just ultramarine, raw umber, burnt umber, and white.

Best Wishes,

Will.

PS I am too lazy to be bothered mixing my own, I did it to see if I could do it.

Another yes on using artists acrylics on model from me, I've painted models with these paints using both the airbrush and the hairy stick and had no problem.

However keep in mind that artist acrylic paints are not all the same ! The ones I used were decent paints and had quite thin pigments, a black I "borrowed" from my sister was actually even better than many modelling paints. They were not particularly cheap either, being of quite good quality.

My suggestion would be to try the ones you've found locally and see how they behave. In generall though, cheap paint will behave as cheap paint, don't expect great results from generic chinese paint made for kids to have fun with.

P.S. of course, always prime before painting... acrylic model paints generally need a good primer, artists paint need this even more

• 4 years later...